Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:40 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The garment workers do indeed want these jobs, they just don't want to work in such unsafe working conditions. Can you blame them? There have been over 40 fires in garment factories in Bangladesh just this year. And of course the collapse of the factory last month, which cost 1,128 lives..
So they should take it up with their owners, managers and government, but NOT blame the customers.

Perhaps a revolution would help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
But somehow $30 million dollar CEO salaries don't seem to get in the way at all.....
Those CEO's should be beaten and put in jail, for theft.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And that will do what? Do you truly expect as much independence in corrupt Third World nations as we take for granted in First World nations?

We can bet when the news broke there, hundreds of thousands flocked to the region to get these jobs which are miles better than starving. Until that last sentence is not the facts, nothing will change.
There's a chance things may get a bit better. Many major European retailers have signed on including Marks & Spencer, Sweden's H & M, and Italy's Benetton.

Also, here in North America, Abercrombie & Fitch, and PVH, the parent company of Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger have signed the Accord.

Bangladesh Factory Safety Accord: At Least 14 Major North American Retailers Decline To Sign

Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Despite the deaths of over 1,100 garment factory workers in the collapse of a garment factory in Bangladesh, and hundreds of deaths of workers in fires, fourteen North American companies are not signing on to the new "Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh."
You are blaming the US companies?

The minute those companies start charging more....a competitor will come along using the same crap work conditions....and take all their customers with their lower prices.

Barking at the companies is all feel-good and whatnot but if you look at history, the US consumer is an amoral greedy POS.

You have to educate the global consumer, not treat the symptoms.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Why do we need to keep buying all this junk anyway?

The whole system is a rigged scam.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Despite the deaths of over 1,100 garment factory workers in the collapse of a garment factory in Bangladesh, and hundreds of deaths of workers in fires, fourteen North American companies are not signing on to the new "Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh."

The agreement requires a 5-year commitment from participating retailers to conduct independent safety inspections of factories and pay up to $500,000 per year toward safety improvements, and has seen greater support abroad than in the U.S.A.

Whereas most European companies have signed the accord, the following American retailers have not:

Walmart
Sears,
JCPenney
Kohls
The Gap
Macy's
Target
Nordstrom
American Eagle Outfitters

Some of the companies claim they are working with other groups on improving safety for garment workers overseas, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Bangladesh Factory Safety Accord: At Least 14 Major North American Retailers Decline To Sign
Companies care about what it's patrons care about. Gotta speak with your wallet.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Companies care about what it's patrons care about. Gotta speak with your wallet.
That's what I plan to do.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
But somehow $30 million dollar CEO salaries don't seem to get in the way at all.....
A corporation barley wants to pay their CEO. I'm glad you feel passionate about this subject, I really do but you need to think of it in a business mindset. Apple's Tim Cook was the highest paid CEO last year I believe and on his watch an Apple contractor, Foxxconn, had a mass suicide on his watch. Apple could bring those jobs back home but it's all about maximizing profits therefore most of Apple operations will continue to be in China. Now going back to what you're saying, if those corporations did refuse to pay for something that isn't mandatory such as the $500k you speak of, would you be mad if they moved back to The USA or a Western society and those workers are left without jobs? Would you want us to start sending money to them since they don't have jobs now?

Trust me, I understand your frustration but lets think rationally here. I don't think any of us would mind paying $.25 extra for safety, but I don't believe that number would be as true as you'd like it to be. If Nordstrom or GAP or whatever were to make its China, Bangladesh, etc factories safer, it would probably translate to tens of dollars more for the consumer, not $.25.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 PM

168 posts, read 335,662 times
How about you tell the workers to form a union and demand safter work conditions? Why must it be the people in the US that have to make the changes? I mean this isnt even our country yet we are the ones that have to change.

I hear about how unions are so great and how they made it so that workplaces here in the US are safe, got better wages for workers, got more time off for workers, ect. So why not have those workers in other countries form a union?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
How about you tell the workers to form a union and demand safter work conditions? Why must it be the people in the US that have to make the changes? I mean this isnt even our country yet we are the ones that have to change.

I hear about how unions are so great and how they made it so that workplaces here in the US are safe, got better wages for workers, got more time off for workers, ect. So why not have those workers in other countries form a union?
I believe there is a garment workers union in Bangladesh. But obviously their power to demand safe working conditions has been lacking. They can't really go on strike because they'd starve to death, literally.

It's only the deaths of these 1,128 workers that has sparked international outrage (seemingly missing in the U.S. though) and demands for improvements in safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies