Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It doesn't matter if the LIBBBRULLLLS TRY to act civil.....they actually hate people in the stinking flyover section of the country. Well, they hate all........ except for their fellow travelers.

You will see the TRUTH pop out.....such as the Hipster Chick....Lizzzytardy from the Daily show. I give her props for being honest............LAUGH IT UP LIBS!!!!!!!!!!
You have issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
In addition to first responders once again teachers show their heroism and dedication to their charges.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
It should be noted the area seems very diverse. It's not stereotypical of what people think of in regards to Oklahoma.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:49 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
I do not mean to sound crass, but as long as I have lived in Oklahoma, I have always wondered why people buy property, start businesses and build homes in Moore.

Now, Moore is a perfectly nice town, situated between even nicer Norman (home of OU) and OKC (which is where I now live, and though I like Oklahoma, I do not care for OKC much at all.)

But this is not the first time Moore has been levelled by tornados. On May 3, 1999 tornados swarmed the state, but the main monster twister went right through Moore, then up I-35 towards Tulsa. Massive destruction (though not on the scale of yesterday's tragedy.)

There have been many other years in which Moore was hit on a smaller scale.

After 1999, a lot of people rebuilt and stayed. The population of Moore grew by around 15,000 between '99 and now.

Again, there are lots of good reasons to live in Moore...proximity to amenities without having to live in the city, relatively cheap property and property taxes, friendly people, decent schools, etc., etc. but the place just happens to be a major tornado magnet.

To me, it'd be like trying to site a plot of land to build a house on and choosing the area that consistently floods every year.

Again, my heart goes out to my neighbors and fellow Okies. We have already made some donations and will be doing more as we can this week. I am not trying to pour salt on wounds; I just don't understand investing everything you have to settle in a place that, unfortunately but inevitably, is going to be wrecked by tornadic activity again in the near future.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It should be noted the area seems very diverse. It's not stereotypical of what people think of in regards to Oklahoma.
Thank you for that. I was trying to say this earlier. Though every county in Oklahoma voted red last election, there has always been a diverse base in the state. Even OK is 35-40% democrat according to most polls (and my personal experience supports this.)

The culture here runs the gamut from super-neocons to radical leftists to libertarians to devoted church goers to nonbelievers to cowboys to tatted-up purple-haired punks, etc., etc. There are large, active, thriving gay communities here, people from many, many nations, people of every color, and, of course, a very large population of various tribal members including several sovereign nations (Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw and others.)

There are some decent museums and galleries around the state, world class restaurants, a great music scene (that is not just Garth Brooks and Toby Keith country crud), film commissions, innumerable talented artists.

Oklahoma is lush and green with roling hills and gorgeous foliage in the East (Talimina area voted one of the 10 best rides in North America by Harley Davidson), great plains and the only tall grass prairie left in the USA in the center, Arbuckle Mountains complete with waterfalls in the South central region, off to the Western part of Oklahoma you have the ancient Wichita Mountains...very rugged, very Western looking...also Black Mesa out in the panhandle with plateaus and cactus everywhere--looks like the Desert SW.

And really, we all get along pretty darn well. I may not bring up politics or religion with most people I don't know very well here, but you can count on most people you run into in Oklahoma to be friendly as can be. Salt of the Earth, give you the shirt off their backs type folks.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I live in Moore, most of my family lives in Moore. My cousins house is gone. My best friends brothers house was in a horse park next to the Orr family farm, and everything is gone there. My mother was part of the Mormon church, and the Orr family farm is owned by Mormons that we went to church with. They have a hay ride every year through their pumpkin patch in the fall, and I've been there several times. They have a horse track, and said like 80 of their horses are dead.

My nieces grandfathers house is there, but his roof is gone. The house across the street is gone. Several friends were in the "debris ball", and have damage to their houses.

My cousin had a kid that was at the plaza towers elementary school, which got destroyed. But she is OK. She did get hit in the head with debris though.

Its pretty crazy. Really, I'm just a little in shock because I really didn't think there was going to be a large tornado today. We had tornado's yesterday. My sister called me earlier and was freaking out, wanted me to watch the storms. So I watched everything for like an hour before the tornado actually hit. Even when the tornado finally showed up, it actually looked pretty unimpressive. I thought it would die out quickly, and not grow very strong. I didn't even realize how strong it was until I saw the video from the helicopters after it passed.

My sister was also freaking out, because it was raining and hailing, then there was a little time where it was pretty calm, right before the tail end came through with the tornado. We left before the tornado came through. The tornado was tracking almost due east. So we went north(although, we were fine anyway).

I lived here during the may 3rd 1999 tornado as well. Oklahoma is fine. Its sad, and a lot of people have lost basically everything they own. But we will be fine. The churches here are always very helpful. We rebuilt in 1999 as well, and that was far more overall damage.

I just want to say, as for FEMA and federal funding as disaster relief. I don't believe that Oklahoma needs money from the government. We will be just fine without any federal money at all. Just like the areas hit by Hurricane Sandy would have been just fine without federal money. But Oklahoma will ask for money, and can "benefit" from money. Because who doesn't want money given to them? I think Oklahoma will ask for money, not because we are hypocrites. But because, since we constantly dole out money to people on the coasts every time they have a problem. We will want some of that money ourselves. But as I said before, Oklahoma will be just fine.

Moore was hit in 1999, it rebuilt, and its population grew from about 40,000 to about 54,000. Moore is one of the fastest growing areas in Oklahoma. I know after the May 3rd tornado, my friend bought a storm shelter. And there are more and more storm shelters all the time around here. I figure this tornado will cause a huge boom in the storm shelter business.

I want to add, I remember before the May 3rd tornado, the guys on TV were always telling people to get into a closet or bathroom when a tornado comes through. The guy I watched most of the day on TV sort of cracks me up. Because before the tornado even came through, he was like, "You aren't safe in a closet or bathroom, you aren't safe in your homes, either get underground, or go somewhere else."

Glad to hear you're OK.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I do not mean to sound crass, but as long as I have lived in Oklahoma, I have always wondered why people buy property, start businesses and build homes in Moore.

Now, Moore is a perfectly nice town, situated between even nicer Norman (home of OU) and OKC (which is where I now live, and though I like Oklahoma, I do not care for OKC much at all.)

But this is not the first time Moore has been levelled by tornados. On May 3, 1999 tornados swarmed the state, but the main monster twister went right through Moore, then up I-35 towards Tulsa. Massive destruction (though not on the scale of yesterday's tragedy.)

There have been many other years in which Moore was hit on a smaller scale.

After 1999, a lot of people rebuilt and stayed. The population of Moore grew by around 15,000 between '99 and now.

Again, there are lots of good reasons to live in Moore...proximity to amenities without having to live in the city, relatively cheap property and property taxes, friendly people, decent schools, etc., etc. but the place just happens to be a major tornado magnet.

To me, it'd be like trying to site a plot of land to build a house on and choosing the area that consistently floods every year.

Again, my heart goes out to my neighbors and fellow Okies. We have already made some donations and will be doing more as we can this week. I am not trying to pour salt on wounds; I just don't understand investing everything you have to settle in a place that, unfortunately but inevitably, is going to be wrecked by tornadic activity again in the near future.
Why do they buy and build in Moore? The same could be said about area in So Ca that get hit with fires every few years, or why to people even move to Florida, with the treat of hurricanes? I know what you are saying, but I have a problem with your but it has to do with so many things. Our granddaughter and her husband bought their first home in Moore. In fact, if they still owned it, today it would not exist and the school our great granddaughter would have attended is no more. They choose Moore because it was close to work and had a top rated school district. Natural disasters, happen and we can't plan our lives around them or worrying about them. If an area is hit annually it is different, but this isn't the case in Moore.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Now that will be interesting, I expect them to vote the same way they voted for Sandy, and then I hope the people of Oklahoma exercise their votes and replace those two senators in the next election for their lack of compassion for their fellow Americans.
Nah, they should propose a relief bill and then tack a billion or two on as incentives for large oil companies to look for more deposits in the US.....and something limiting abortion while they are at it.

Then when it's voted down they can run screaming how those that voted against it hate america.

The majority of legislation proposed in the US is done so with no intention of passing but to be a political football that you attack your rivals over. Both sides do it. The partisan koolaid drinkers are oblivious, they just use it to fuel their rage and remain ignorant.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
As a reminder, there are children trapped inside a school.
Not joking....there are posters here that would blow up a school bus full of children if it meant the banning of the other political party. Yes, they are that far gone.

I'm working my way through the thread with the ignore feature as we speak, I'm sick of it.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Now that will be interesting, I expect them to vote the same way they voted for Sandy, and then I hope the people of Oklahoma exercise their votes and replace those two senators in the next election for their lack of compassion for their fellow Americans.
That would most likely depend on how many riders (or blood sucking ticks if you want to be honest) are attached to the body of the bill now won't it?
Bills submitted for disaster aid should be off limits for markups (ticks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies