Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

Sooner or later some scandal is gonna turn out to be true.
Looks like this IRS one may have some teeth.

Pleading the 5th says to the world.."I'm guilty but I ain't talking".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,876 times
She's a walking advertisement for dismantling the IRS.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:50 PM

When your boss asks questions about you screwing up on the job..can you take the 5th ?
I don't see how a government worker can take the 5th when the government has questions.
They are the employer here and being head of the IRS is a public sector job.
I don't think public sector employees should be allowed to take the 5th when what is being investigated and questioned has directly affected Americans.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
She'd do well to go into hiding. The lady has got connections and doesn't want to expose them to complicity...
Quote:
IRS Exempt Organizations Division director Lois G. Lerner, who has been described as “apolitical” in mainstream press coverage of the IRS scandal, is married to tax attorney Michael R. Miles

Her husband's... firm hosted an organizing meeting at its Atlanta office for people interested in helping with voter registration for the Obama re-election campaign.

Lerner personally signed the tax-exemption approval for a shady charity run by Obama’s half-brother, after an inexplicably brief one-month application process.
Lois Lerner's husband's law firm hosted campaign organizing | The Daily Caller

Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When your boss asks questions about you screwing up on the job..can you take the 5th ?
I don't see how a government worker can take the 5th when the government has questions.
They are the employer here and being head of the IRS is a public sector job.
I don't think public sector employees should be allowed to take the 5th when what is being investigated and questioned has directly affected Americans.
I though that too, at first anyway. If there was a criminal act then there is reason to take the fifth, but taking the fifth cannot and should not imply guilt. If what she knows is important she can always be granted immunity.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM

I think Issa needs to get her in and questioned.

She needs to plead this 5th in front of America and in front of the committee she told 4 times in the past had done nothing wrong.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
She'd do well to go into hiding. The lady has got connections and doesn't want to expose them to complicity...

Lois Lerner's husband's law firm hosted campaign organizing | The Daily Caller
The proof is in the pudding. It's clear as day what's going on here. The best case scenario would be a low level manager or employee having his/her livelihood threatened (ie. their job, their childcare, their vacations, their RV, etc) and thus agreeing to squeal like a stuck pig on an Amish Farm. Investigators would do well to start twisting arms at the lower level and working upward.

When someone's life as they know it is threatened, the house of cards begins to crumble.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,731 times
Thumbs up One of Obama's Top IRS Officials to Plead the 5th Amendment Tomorrow

Quote:
WASHINGTON — A top IRS official in the division that reviews nonprofit groups will invoke the 5th Amendment and refuse to answer questions before a House committee investigating the agency’s improper screening of conservative nonprofit groups.

Lois Lerner, the head of the exempt organizations division of the IRS, won’t answer questions about what she knew about the improper screening — or why she didn’t disclose it to Congress, according to a letter from her defense lawyer, William W. Taylor III. Lerner was scheduled to appear before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday.
Link: Top IRS official will invoke 5th Amendment - latimes.com

Tee-hee. Nothing screams "transparency" and "hope and change" like top administration officials invoking the 5th Amendment.

Why, again, hasn't Obama fired everyone remotely connected to this at the IRS? I think we all know why - he told them to do it.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
BTW, if the IRS is auditing you.... can you make them stop by pleading the 5th amendment?

I didn't think so.
You make a very good point.

And as Jon Stewart pointed out, IRS Head Assholio Lois Lerner "apologizes" for breaking the law, but us mere mortals have never been able to employ an "i'm sorry" to the IRS for breaking their laws.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,126 times
Wow. Yeah, that'll make you look like you're not hiding anything....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies