Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

no bek very soon after assisted suicide will come assistants that are way too helpful like my nephews waiting to cash in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 PM

808 posts, read 662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm not talking about that.

Suppose you're not a nice person and you need money.

You stand to inherit some money from a relative.

You are the only relative.

Suppose the relative is sick....not terminal at the moment....but seriously ill.

You are the caretaker.

You complain and complain and nag and nag until the relative in question feels like a burden and submits to assisted suicide.

This would happen in a lot of cases. People can be coerced, especially the elderly.

Everyone should have a living will.

EXACTLY.

Thank you.

p.s. living will might not help as well. That is the story about how the living will did not work ( the DeBakey debacle)

Old 09-12-2013, 08:52 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
then READ it.

maybe you will.

I am totally opposed to assisted suicide as 1) in case of cancer/terminal patients there is hospice and the help is already there, so there is no need for that
2) the "quality of life" issue can be abused by family members beyond any degree imaginable ( and one of the examples is exactly the story I've posted, though it seems "in reverse" - but just an example of how the best intentions can go wrong)
3) you can not force others to perform something which they might not want to do - which can be legally defined and is, most probably, the easiest of the obstacles - unless you want EVERY medical care professional to be forced to assist in suicides ( not going to happen, but some might still want it)
Criminals die by injection. Yet our loved ones who just want to go are forced to keep living. Why are criminals treated better. Sorry, it just makes no sense to me

Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Criminals die by injection. Yet our loved ones who just want to go are forced to keep living. Why are criminals treated better. Sorry, it just makes no sense to me
of you want to be killed like criminals - by all means.

They are not being killed by doctors or even nurses for that matter

and your loved ones are not you - they can make a choice, not you.
THAT is why I object it so strongly.
THAT is why you should read the article - maybe you will understand the amount of abuse this will cause.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM

[quote=vox populi;31390325]of you want to be killed like criminals - by all means.

and your loved ones are not you - they can make a choice, not you.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying they should commit suicide because that is the only choice they have. How sad is that.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM

[quote=natalie469;31390356]
Quote:

and your loved ones are not you - they can make a choice, not you.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying they should commit suicide because that is the only choice they have. How sad is that.
no, it is YOU who are insisting that YOU want to make choices for them.

If they want to commit suicide - they can.

Still the vast majority does not.

and that is the whole point.

Don't force them.

That is not you.

You understand that the family members often make choices for the patients.'
As you stated ABOVE ( when you were referring to your sister being a nurse).

Yet you fail to understand ( or did not think about it) that the very same family members the same way they abuse the available choices now will abuse the suicide choices as well - and make choices for their family member to commit "assisted suicide" - which is ABUSE and actually a planned murder.

And that is why I oppose it.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
it is called hospice and it has been there for years.

that is why I don't believe all those fairy tales about dying from cancer without painkillers.

Unless you are in a middle of nowhere - it does not happen - hospices are in every hospital and for every pocket.
Yes, it was hospice. They did everything but come out and tell me to overdose her on Morphine. She was at home.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:

and your loved ones are not you - they can make a choice, not you.
THAT is why I object it so strongly.
THAT is why you should read the article - maybe you will understand the amount of abuse this will cause.
Abuse or no - I think it will be a part of our future. Good or bad, I do believe there will come a day.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
1) This study indicates that opioids are still necessary for pain management. The Patient is still in pain.
2) This study indicates that pain management is about the same as conventional methods. I suppose it may work for Patients that are hospitalized and want needles probing their spinal column. "Reports indicate intraspinal analgesia is equally or more effective than conventional medical management and often associated with fewer side effects."
3) This study examines the use of electrodes to modulate pain. If effective, the Patient is implanted with electrodes - there is no mention of sample size in the abstract. Additionally, it is limited to Patients with thoracic pain and is published by a single author in a Russian journal. I question the efficacy.
4) This is a study examining genetic differences in pain management and does not discuss the efficacy in patient care. "Multiple Loci Modulate Opioid Therapy Response for Cancer Pain."

Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM

[quote=vox populi;31390406]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

no, it is YOU who are insisting that YOU want to make choices for them.

If they want to commit suicide - they can.

Still the vast majority does not.

and that is the whole point.

Don't force them.

That is not you.
My god, how heartless we are to let them do that because there is no other way. Do you have any idea what these individuals go through to plan their demise. Most are all alone because they can't have support in this. What do you think goes on in their minds. I find it unacceptable that we do this to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies