Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Correct coalman, my mistake I should have stated nothing to do with CO2 trapping heat in the earths atmosphere.
Well yes and no. What this study is showing is that CO2 works both ways. We just had some substantial solar activity so they were able to study this affect in depth. What they are saying is lot of this energy was deflected, had it made it's way into the atmosphere it would have been trapped by the CO2.

It doesn't prove or disprove anything but it's another step in understanding some of the variables that can affect climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,620,007 times
The way the Original Poster describes this event with respect to global warming is total garbage.

If you go to the NASA website, you will see that the solar storm and its effects last for THREE DAYS. The atmosphere wasn't cooled, energy and heat increased temporarily and for a " three day period, March 8th through 10th, the thermosphere absorbed 26 billion kWh of energy. Infrared radiation from CO2 and NO, the two most efficient coolants in the thermosphere, re-radiated 95% of that total back into space."

As a footnote to the NASA report states: " No one on Earth’s surface would have felt this impulse of heat."

I have a suggestion to CD readers. Click on the links, and maybe look at the credibility of the source: in this case NASA trumps "NatureNews."

Solar Storm Dumps Gigawatts into Earth's Upper Atmosphere - NASA Science

Last edited by ellemint; 05-23-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM

56,967 posts, read 25,934,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well yes and no. What this study is showing is that CO2 works both ways. We just had some substantial solar activity so they were able to study this affect in depth. What they are saying is lot of this energy was deflected, had it made it's way into the atmosphere it would have been trapped by the CO2.

It doesn't prove or disprove anything but it's another step in understanding some of the variables that can affect climate.
Correct again but the title of the thread is global warming debunked - NASA report verifies....

Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,620,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Correct again but the title of the thread is global warming debunked - NASA report verifies....
Yes and the title of the thread is 100 % wrong and misleading. A 3-day event has nothing to do with global warming, and the report dealt with a temporary INCREASE in energy and heat in the earth's atmosphere, not a decrease, and not on the earth's surface.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,056,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes and the title of the thread is 100 % wrong and misleading. A 3-day event has nothing to do with global warming, and the report dealt with a temporary INCREASE in energy and heat in the earth's atmosphere, not a decrease, and not on the earth's surface.
It is like saying it snowed today, where I live, so global warming has been debunked.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,920,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is like saying it snowed today, where I live, so global warming has been debunked.
Or like say "Hey, it is hot in my area this summer, so it proves global warming" or "Hey, we had a one day record high! Look Global warming!"

Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,056,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Or like say "Hey, it is hot in my area this summer, so it proves global warming" or "Hey, we had a one day record high! Look Global warming!"
Or like when data shows that we have had record breaking highs over the past decade, and an upward warming trend over the course of the past century. That is totally the same thing.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM

56,967 posts, read 25,934,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm sure the OP will be along shortly to apologize for misleading the forum.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 PM

33,508 posts, read 37,028,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Didn't you once tell me that you accepted that warming was happening?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 PM

25,783 posts, read 16,415,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'll just leave this here.

Climate Change: NEWS
This is the kind of intellectual spam that is distracting our country from solving the real problems.

These educated idiots have us chasing our tail with this junk science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies