Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I agree, but to blame it on the men and women fighting the wars is ridiculous.

That is who I blame it on personally. Not the troops, but those in power and their policies that put them in harms way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I didn't have a choice, genius. I was drafted. My father enlisted because his country was frigging attacked and 2,000 plus people died.

My dad, healthy when he left, came back with malaria, the nervous shakes, and memories of the concentration camps he "visited".

Me, I left a good piece of one of my kidneys on a hill in Dak To.

You called this nation's service men and women murderers. Pardon me if I take offense.

No, I don't think we should have been in Viet Nam, and I think we should stay the hell out of the Middle East and let them forge their own destiny, but that is NOT the fault of the men and women who risk (and sometimes lose) thier lives in the service of their country.

This shows an appalling lack of respect.
My story sounds like yours except I came back with all my parts attached. Many people back then called us murderers as well. I never saw it that way. We were survivors. I never wanted to kill anyone, just stay alive and get back to the real world. And all I got out of it was to get out of it. The war for us was defensive in a personal way. Looking back now, I realize it was the same for Charlie. We were all just kids sent off to do dirty work for the greed of our nations and the ambitions of our political leaders. So yeah, call Exxon or Johnson or somebody the murderer. But respect those sent in the name of their country to do its dirty work. Especially the ones who never came home.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My story sounds like yours except I came back with all my parts attached. Many people back then called us murderers as well. I never saw it that way. We were survivors. I never wanted to kill anyone, just stay alive and get back to the real world. And all I got out of it was to get out of it. The war for us was defensive in a personal way. Looking back now, I realize it was the same for Charlie. We were all just kids sent off to do dirty work for the greed of our nations and the ambitions of our political leaders. So yeah, call Exxon or Johnson or somebody the murderer. But respect those sent in the name of their country to do its dirty work. Especially the ones who never came home.

Yep. if it were left up to the people put in harms way, not a shot would be fired.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post

These poor souls are drawn in to serve into the armed forces at a young age by use of loosely made promises of "money for their education", "find better jobs", "getting honor & respect".. the list goes on.

Ask yourself, did they die for a good cause or were they simply tricked into becoming murderers?
I'm asking myself how it is that you don't know about the draft.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:

If I am wrong, then why is the world SO hateful & angry towards Americans & their allies?
Because we are the ones holding the money and the power - and they resent it. It's kind of like a classroom, where the teacher holds all the power and the grades. Some students will try to buddy up to teacher so they can get special privileges, some will do what is required by the teacher so they don't have conflict and can get by, some will act out because they don't want to do what someone else wants them to, some will practice a little passive-aggression, and still others will do everything in their power just to try to make the teacher as miserable as possible, including trying to rile up other students. The whole world doesn't hate us, just some of the ones that do are pretty spectacular in their demonstration of their hatred and engage in some mighty sabre rattling.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm asking myself how it is that you don't know about the draft.

He skipped over that little fact in history class.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:

This deserves a rep.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:

We usually avoided the cowboys. They had a bad habit of getting those around them killed.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
In a very few cases, it could be that serving in the armed services, is safer than living in their neighborhood.
They could get training in a field that could provide them a living once they are out of the armed services and get paid while receiving this training.
Brilliant post. Unless you wind up as front-line infantry you are absolutely statistically safer in the military than sticking around an urban neighborhood as a young black male.

Heck, the death rate in Iraq was typically been around 1 in 250 military personnel per year but you'd want to gross that up for severe manglings and future suicides etc. So call it even 1 in 100 dead.

Riders of supersport motorcycles have a death rate of about 1 in 44 per year. And that's just their motorcycle death rate and of course they have other deaths on top of that.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
If I am wrong, then why is the world SO hateful & angry towards Americans & their allies?
You think OUR guys are brain-washed yet you can't see the same in others?

Ok, imagine your typical Syrian male prior to the civil war.

Education: Religious schooling for years
Employment: None (>30% unemployment)
Government: Brutal Corrupt Dicatorship
Marital Prospects: Little to None
Marital prospects of elite: multiple wives
Free Press: You have to be kidding...
Most hated Enemy: Jews and the west, because his government and media told him that's why his life sucks.

We do stuff to them...and vice versa. Painting us as the badguy is laughable....we are all badguys. Even the gutless europeans are badguys for not wanting to get their hands dirty and help fix the damage THEY caused with thier colonialism and warfare which laid the seeds of many of these conflicts.

Now they just want everyone to get along meaning they want to wash their hands of the mess and leave it for everyone else to clean up....*cough* bosnia? Punjab? Israel? Most of Africa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies