Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Why does this nation center itself around fighting wars, acting as police to the world, attacking countries for their oil or land and at the cost of losing many lives. All of this comes at a huge cost: human lives.

These poor souls are drawn in to serve into the armed forces at a young age by use of loosely made promises of "money for their education", "find better jobs", "getting honor & respect".. the list goes on. But in reality, who can disagree with the fact that they are simply being trained to follow orders, which in most part is to kill, kill, kill. Holder: Drone strikes have killed four Americans since 2009 - CNN.com

In the end, we have this so called memorial day to remember the loves ones we lost (and I respectfully say this) but you have to ask yourself WHY? Why did they die and what for? To preserve freedom? What freedom... I bet my post will be deleted for speaking about this. There is NO freedom to speak out in this country. I bet many of you will oppose what I am saying here simply because you are brainwashed into thinking that soldiers died for a good cause.

Ask yourself, did they die for a good cause or were they simply tricked into becoming murderers?

If I am wrong, then why is the world SO hateful & angry towards Americans & their allies? Cameron condemns brutal hacking death, says Britain stands firm - CNN.com (not only this event... but Boston Marathon... 9/11... the list goes on)
I certainly question your sincerity (bolded maroon),...especially after having read the thread title.

America has her warts, but according to your thinking all soldiers are "ignorant murderers"(bolded black)

That's a sick train of thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Because we are the ones holding the money and the power - and they resent it. It's kind of like a classroom, where the teacher holds all the power and the grades. Some students will try to buddy up to teacher so they can get special privileges, some will do what is required by the teacher so they don't have conflict and can get by, some will act out because they don't want to do what someone else wants them to, some will practice a little passive-aggression, and still others will do everything in their power just to try to make the teacher as miserable as possible, including trying to rile up other students. The whole world doesn't hate us, just some of the ones that do are pretty spectacular in their demonstration of their hatred and engage in some mighty sabre rattling.
We've done bad things that deserve condemnation, however we also make one heckuva scapegoat. For an oppressive dictator and state controlled media and religious indoctrination.....we make a great target to direct anger externally.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Money for the government sure, but why is it that so many men & women are tricked everyday into joining the armed forces? What is so bad in their lives that they feel they have no other choice?
Unfamiliar with the concept of 'conscription' are ya?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
America has her warts, but according to your thinking all soldiers are "ignorant murderers"(bolded black)

That's a sick train of thought.
One that also runs throughout all of the cop-hating threads.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
One that also runs throughout all of the cop-hating threads.

Yep. Same ilk.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Why does this nation center itself around fighting wars, acting as police to the world, attacking countries for their oil or land and at the cost of losing many lives. All of this comes at a huge cost: human lives.

Ask yourself, did they die for a good cause or were they simply tricked into becoming murderers?
People like you are the worst kind of people.

Not all wars are say a Spanish-American War and Iraqi Freedom War. Some are needed because of gross attacks such as Afghanistan, World War I, World War II. Both my grandfathers were a part of World War II. People like you who complain about the wars and soldiers being turned into "murders" to protect their country in needed wars, p*** on their name and what these people did to help their country survive.

Do all wars help create sales for government contractors, yes. My mother inspected cameras for several wars while she worked for the Department of Defense. The fact is we don't enter wars because we are mongerers, we enter them to protect people. Look at the three wars I mentioned that were caused b gross attacks. Anyone who had family who died in Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41 or in New York, DC or the field in Pennsylvania on 9/11/01, would disagree with you and want the warring nations who attacked us held accountable for their actions.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Money for the government sure, but why is it that so many men & women are tricked everyday into joining the armed forces? What is so bad in their lives that they feel they have no other choice?
Money for the government???

My family has hosted enlisted people from Great lakes for years. Not one of them felt tricked into enlistment. Most have felt quite fortunate and enjoy the respect of the public that had been absent for too long in the past. Statistically, most enlisted will not get hurt or killed.

The military offers opportunity for many that would otherwise not be available, discipline, a paycheck, training/education, VA benefits and travel.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And now we know what Internet discussion groups would have been full of in 1941, if they had existed then.

Do you *actually* believe that FDR planned 12/7 or allowed it to happen?

And in the latter case, do you think the US should have done nothing in response?

And what about Europe -- should Hitler have been allowed to take over the entire continent?
Thank you, and if Hitler had not been stopped, he would not have only taken over Europe, but probably the entire world.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I joined the Navy to obtain some training and the GI Bill college aid. They provided opportunity for fun, travel and adventure. I also got a advanced course in applied violence on the Rivers of the Mekong Delta as a bonus.

If you want to know why people join the military just ask yourself why you would not.
My husband claims to this day that his time in Viet Nam was the best time in his life. It gave him perspective.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:

These poor souls are drawn in to serve into the armed forces at a young age by use of loosely made promises of "money for their education", "find better jobs", "getting honor & respect".. the list goes on. But in reality, who can disagree with the fact that they are simply being trained to follow orders, which in most part is to kill, kill, kill. Holder: Drone strikes have killed four Americans since 2009 - CNN.com

In the end, we have this so called memorial day to remember the loves ones we lost (and I respectfully say this) but you have to ask yourself WHY? Why did they die and what for? To preserve freedom? What freedom... I bet my post will be deleted for speaking about this. There is NO freedom to speak out in this country. I bet many of you will oppose what I am saying here simply because you are brainwashed into thinking that soldiers died for a good cause.

If I am wrong, then why is the world SO hateful & angry towards Americans & their allies? Cameron condemns brutal hacking death, says Britain stands firm - CNN.com (not only this event... but Boston Marathon... 9/11... the list goes on)
Nobody likes war, but sometimes it's necessary and we have no choice but to resort to getting involved in war. Our military people, in all branches, are not murderers, it is very disrespectful to refer to our military members in that manner. They have to do what's necessary to protect themselves, if you were in a combat situation I'm sure you would want to stop the enemy from accomplishing their mission no matter what it takes and if you had to kill to protect yourself and others, you would not call yourself "murderer".

On your last comment about the "world being hateful and angry towards Americans, it's not the whole world, just a certain number of Muslim extremists and others, who were born and taught to hate, plain and simple.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 05-23-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies