Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 PM

139 posts, read 568,968 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how FEMA decided what each homeowner would get? Some got the max of $31,900. others got nothing. I had a finished basement and got ten grand. Neighbors had unfinished basements an got 18g.
Then rapid repairs bought their boiler, hw heater ,elec. panels and installed for free. I paid 12g for that. I am just confused as to how FEMAS unequal distribution didn't get any news coverage.
If your going to help people get back on their feet, then why the wildly different numbers? I have seen huge numbers raised by donations, but where did the money go? Does anybody know?
I have paid into the system for forty years and never needed help before. I just want to know why some were more deserving than others. I was told this is a one shot deal and we are all on our own the next time, if and when we get 4 to 6 foot of ocean covering the rockaways again.
Anyone else in rockaway wonder where the money went and why the help was so wildly different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoteddie View Post
If your going to help people get back on their feet, then why the wildly different numbers?
First, I am sorry for your loses...

Knowing the formula is pretty pointless if you don't know the numbers that were plugged in to equation. Just noting that your neighbor got more on the assumption, in part, that because they had an unfinished basement their losses were less than yours. Their are a number of criteria that go beyond your simple appraisal but without knowing the specifics of your neighbor's claim any discussion of FEMA' formulas in the context is rather pointless.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Well slick willy after the northridge quake just directed FEMA to mail checks to everybody in zip codes that the quake hit no matter if your home was damaged or not.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
I am wondering how FEMA decided what each homeowner would get? Some got the max of $31,900. others got nothing. I had a finished basement and got ten grand. Neighbors had unfinished basements an got 18g.
Then rapid repairs bought their boiler, hw heater ,elec. panels and installed for free. I paid 12g for that. I am just confused as to how FEMAS unequal distribution didn't get any news coverage.
If your going to help people get back on their feet, then why the wildly different numbers? I have seen huge numbers raised by donations, but where did the money go? Does anybody know?
I have paid into the system for forty years and never needed help before. I just want to know why some were more deserving than others. I was told this is a one shot deal and we are all on our own the next time, if and when we get 4 to 6 foot of ocean covering the rockaways again.
Anyone else in rockaway wonder where the money went and why the help was so wildly different?
It's the government.

Do not expect ther decisions to be fair, just or moral.

They have no profit/loss motive driving decision-making.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Saw the same questions being asked after the flooding in my hometown after Lee. The neighbors started comparing notes and it really made no sense, no consistency.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Some folks are better at filling out the forms most likely. Ask and ye shall receive.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
File a FOIL request and they will give you exactly in detail how they came to that figure and if there is errors you can appeal it. The deadline to appeal has passed.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 AM

Also it is a one shot deal. You need flood insurance now. And it is a one shot deal for life of house. 50 years from now if owner is flooded and does not have flood insurance you used up the once in a lifetime FEMA payment on the house

Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
First, I am sorry for your loses...

Knowing the formula is pretty pointless if you don't know the numbers that were plugged in to equation. Just noting that your neighbor got more on the assumption, in part, that because they had an unfinished basement their losses were less than yours. Their are a number of criteria that go beyond your simple appraisal but without knowing the specifics of your neighbor's claim any discussion of FEMA' formulas in the context is rather pointless.
Finished basements are not covered, So finished or unfinshed would not alter forumula much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies