Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,374,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Today, for instance, I learned that Copenhagen is doing it all wrong!

So, we need to get each of these people into a car:

- because apparently, that would make inner-city traffic move more smoothly. Admittedly, it would put an additional 20,000 cars in the city every day, so I am not sure I follow the logic, but who am I to argue with the luminaries on this thread.

Just look how they take up parking spaces, too:

Why, you could put, what, 80 - 85 cars in that space!
OMG!

Most don't wear HELMUTS!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:34 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,746,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
As a liberal, I am all about being "green".
Actually, modern liberals in this vountry are about spreading government and controlling those around them. Some of them may not intend that, but that's what the results inevitably are.

If you are not doing that, then you might not be a liberal after all.

Quote:
I love riding my bike, taking it to the grocery store, and using it for exercise and fun.
I like that too, though I'm not sure "love" is the best descriptor.

Bikes are nice unless it's raining, snowing, temps over 90 or under 32, dark, winds over 15mph, or crowded. In some parts of the country that's nearly always. In other parts, it's not vey often.

Quote:
...Clearly a few people hate us,
That would be true whether you are a liberal, conservative, clerk, doctor, carpenter, ballet dancer, farmer, student, or soldier.

Quote:
...What should a cyclist in this country ought to do?
Grow a thicker skin (as most conservatives have) and carry on. And try not to get in people's way when you don't have to.

And get a little shoulder-cam if you keep having problems.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:35 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,421,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
OMG!

Most don't wear HELMUTS!
No one in Amsterdam does. Absolutely no one. Not even little kids riding in booster seats on their moms' bikes. I always thought that was weird.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Using the opinions of the furthest possible fringe (Should be hit by cars? Really? ) is lame.
I am not lying, there was a city-data poster over at the urban planning board who wrote a post last year about how he actually wanted cyclists to hit cars. He didn't seem alone in this hatred, and I wondered what is the logic behind this lunacy.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM

7,287 posts, read 6,867,842 times
IMO
Bike riders do not obey the law generally from my own POV, However.
Sence they do not pay road taxes they have no right to the road .
However if they own a car, and pay road taxes via fuel taxes, then riding a bike on the road is reasonable.
Unless you establish the bicycle as a right and not a privlidge or sport, ligidiment say so is pretty vague.
If Bicyclists obeyed the law and had to carry spicific ID indicating approved posture (fees Tax paid) the right to the road should be granted with special lane designated .
That is defensible.
The bicyclist then is covered by the law and is as accountable to the law . One might, if not already, get insurance .
I ride a motorcycle most every day in an area that is common for bicyclists all summer long, doing their racing and what have you.
I watch them bust through red lights and wieve in traffic more than most motorcyclist will ever do ,even ignoring the lane designated for them.
Bicyclists have been fighting licensing sence I was a kid ,but in this day and age with so many it seems prudent that measures are established to bring about some uniformity and accountability.
Certianly children need a bike for going to school and such ,there is no reason they cannot learn the rules and be held accountable for their driving habbits.
It might actually make better drivers, as they grow up.
If more lanes are created to accomodate bicyclists, would it bother you to pay a tax to support such an investment ?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,399,519 times
Quote:
As a liberal, I am all about being "green". I love riding my bike, taking it to the grocery store, and using it for exercise and fun. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who hate my kind.

There are people who say there should be no bike lanes
There are people who say bicycles belong on the sidewalk and not on the road
There are people who say bicycles belong on the road and not on the sidewalk
There are people who say bicyclists should be fined for using the side walk
There are people who say bicyclists on the road should be hit by cars
There are people who say that bicyclists should either walk or drive unless there is a bicycle path

...Clearly a few people hate us, though some have legitimate reasons for that, like people not being able to stop at stop signs.

So...

I aint no liberal and i'm a proud user of my communities bicycle share program!
Its called Nice Ride MN and i think every city in the nation should have a program like ours.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,421,501 times
Quote:
I am not lying, there was a city-data poster over at the urban planning board who wrote a post last year about how he actually wanted cyclists to hit cars. He didn't seem alone in this hatred, and I wondered what is the logic behind this lunacy.
You could also ask this person:

Young UK Driver Knocks Cyclist Down and then Tweets About It – Police Finds Out - Carscoops

Helpful tip for bike-haters: If you're going to go cyclist-hunting with your car, don't boast about it in a tweet afterwards.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:58 PM

380 posts, read 375,704 times
Bike riding is a lifestyle choice. Stop the bigotry. Sue Triple A to allow bike riders to be members.

Just rediscovered bike riding. Enjoying the exercise and seeing things at a slower pace.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,022,786 times
Quote:
As a liberal, I am all about being "green". I love riding my bike, taking it to the grocery store, and using it for exercise and fun. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who hate my kind.

There are people who say there should be no bike lanes
There are people who say bicycles belong on the sidewalk and not on the road
There are people who say bicycles belong on the road and not on the sidewalk
There are people who say bicyclists should be fined for using the side walk
There are people who say bicyclists on the road should be hit by cars
There are people who say that bicyclists should either walk or drive unless there is a bicycle path

...Clearly a few people hate us, though some have legitimate reasons for that, like people not being able to stop at stop signs.

So...

The problem I have with bicyclists is that they seem to think they are above the law insofar as traffic laws are concerned. I have yet to see a cyclist come to a complete stop at an intersection unless there is cross traffic and he has no choice but to do so. I have no respect for people who think they don't have to play by the rules of the road.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The problem I have with bicyclists is that they seem to think they are above the law insofar as traffic laws are concerned. I have yet to see a cyclist come to a complete stop at an intersection unless there is cross traffic and he has no choice but to do so. I have no respect for people who think they don't have to play by the rules of the road.

20yrsinBranson
There are people like me who stop at ever stop sign and stop light. We look the other way before cornering.

Unfortunately, according to you we are the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies