Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,152,935 times

Advertisements

[quote=Robin Rossi;29722787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
As if the brilliance in your original conspiracy theory lacked a finishing touch, being the overachiever you are, there is the obligatory linkage to Obama, complete with the mischaracterization of his health care reform bill as one that has nationalized the health care industry.

Now, I'd love to interrogate you on any number of your claims here, but you're just smart enough to know that this would be a very bad idea, so you will continue with short drive-by posts to avoid it. A man, and in this case, a woman, has got to know her limitations.[/quote]

Another failed attempt.

Boy, you are on a cold streak today.

You can't even get my sex right.

Your posts are a complete and utter strike-out.

You've exceeded your limit on fails, so off to the penalty box you go. Bye.
As I said before, a wise decision.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,068,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Actually, despite seemingly every other car on the road being a Prius, I've never had one cut me off, ever, despite biking to and from work (and often a quick trip home for lunch) every day. Their inconsiderate driving seems to be primarily limited to driving 5 mph under the speed limit in town, and 10-20 mph under while cruising in the left lane on the interstate. Occasionally some soccer mom in a minivan or a sedan of some sort or some jerk in a sports car (nothing against sports cars - I own one myself) will turn without looking, but for the most part it seems to be something that those with an "I'm big and people have to get out of my way" attitude engage in.
You endanger others, who have to make excessive and dangersous maneuvers to drive around you and your highly vulnerable, slow-beyond description, constantly in the way, eternally inteferring with the flow of traffic, self.

It happened to me the other day. A three lane, 45 to 50 mph divided blvd making an S-curve under an overpass over by LB Airport. I had to swerve to avoid to biker-fools. Since they are going so slow you come upon them so utterly-quickly, and in the mass of cars, almost invisible. I swerved to save their lives, and didn't have a chance to clear the lane. IF someone had been there, bammo - sideswipe - all to avoid killing people playing in places they shouldn't be (bicyclers in the road).

Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
You endanger others, who have to make excessive and dangersous maneuvers to drive around you and your highly vulnerable, slow-beyond description, constantly in the way, eternally inteferring with the flow of traffic, self.

It happened to me the other day. A three lane, 45 to 50 mph divided blvd making an S-curve under an overpass over by LB Airport. I had to swerve to avoid to biker-fools. Since they are going so slow you come upon them so utterly-quickly, and in the mass of cars, almost invisible. I swerved to save their lives, and didn't have a chance to clear the lane. IF someone had been there, bammo - sideswipe - all to avoid killing people playing in places they shouldn't be (bicyclers in the road).
Observe the unintentional confessions of a bad driver. There are several characteristics of bad drivers that are consistent with all of them:

1. They lack awareness. You will notice when speaking with a bad driver that an inordinate number of things "surprise" them on the road. Things they just did not see coming.

2. They are terrible at calculating vectors. A bad driver will continually struggle at timing things on the road. For the rest of us, we will be able to judge when we can pass a slower moving object or when a vehicle coming the opposite direction will pass us. Bad drivers lack this ability. This is why bad drivers will tend to slam on the brakes or "swerve."

3. They are tentative. Tentative drivers are the most dangerous drivers. You have all observed drivers like the one above. As they approach a slower-moving vehicle, they are unsure what to do. Accelerate, decelerate. Move out to pass, drop back in. Repeat.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 AM

To bring some sanity back to this discussion these are the factors that contribute to car-bike antagonism:

1. Poor form by group cyclists - Riding two abreast in inappropriate locations.
2. The general decline in driving abilities - Inattentiveness, lack of basic driving skills, etc.
3. Selfish attitudes - "I belong on the road, you other people do not."
4. Sprawl - As we blight the countryside with more and more trophy homes and neighborhoods, areas that were previously safe for cycling have become congested.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Lets just face it folks. The whole effort at getting people to ride bikes, to take traffic lanes out of service - lanes that carry a lot of traffic - and turn them into bike lanes, that carry NO traffic, is all about reducing individual freedom and liberty. A society limited in its ability to travel is easier to keep "tame", begging for scraps etc.
And it's totally stupid. As a conservative, i've ridden a bike to work but I don't want to risk my life with all the drunk and texting and illterate drivers we have --- driving without a license or insurance is extremely common, half of the drivers can't read the signs so it's very risky riding a bike even when there is a so-called bike lane.

The problem is, there are some good bike lanes in parts of town but no one uses them. Liberals demand taxpayers be hit for the costs but then they sit idle. Then they make about a 6 inch strip or tell bicyclists they can use the same road cars do but anyone can tell that's very risky.

If the liberals themselves would get off their fat rear ends and actually ride their bikes to work, then there will be more good bike lanes -- off the actual street put up.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And it's totally stupid. As a conservative, i've ridden a bike to work but I don't want to risk my life with all the drunk and texting and illterate drivers we have --- driving without a license or insurance is extremely common, half of the drivers can't read the signs so it's very risky riding a bike even when there is a so-called bike lane.

The problem is, there are some good bike lanes in parts of town but no one uses them. Liberals demand taxpayers be hit for the costs but then they sit idle. Then they make about a 6 inch strip or tell bicyclists they can use the same road cars do but anyone can tell that's very risky.

If the liberals themselves would get off their fat rear ends and actually ride their bikes to work, then there will be more good bike lanes -- off the actual street put up.
Rare is the problem in the United States that is not attributable to liberals.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Rare is the problem in the United States that is not attributable to liberals.
True.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,221,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

What?

I ride in the bike lane.

Do you suggest I ride in the sidewalk instead?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What?

I ride in the bike lane.

Do you suggest I ride in the sidewalk instead?
Yeah -- that's what I do.

Very few people where I live (a very very liberal city) ride bikes at all. The few of us who do and tend to be conservatives use our brains and notice there are also almost no pedestrians and the sidewalks look much safer so we used them even when it was not legal to ride bikes on them.

If a cop bothered to stop us, we just point out that here in this liberal town, there are zero pedestrians -- and we paid for those sidewalks. They finally changed the law and smart bicyclists can use the sidewalks which are far safer and make nice bike lanes rather than get into traffic where the speed limit is 50 and the drivers aren't going to notice a bicyclist.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,068,638 times
Quote:
Observe the unintentional confessions of a bad driver. There are several characteristics of bad drivers that are consistent with all of them:

1. They lack awareness. You will notice when speaking with a bad driver that an inordinate number of things "surprise" them on the road. Things they just did not see coming.

2. They are terrible at calculating vectors. A bad driver will continually struggle at timing things on the road. For the rest of us, we will be able to judge when we can pass a slower moving object or when a vehicle coming the opposite direction will pass us. Bad drivers lack this ability. This is why bad drivers will tend to slam on the brakes or "swerve."

3. They are tentative. Tentative drivers are the most dangerous drivers. You have all observed drivers like the one above. As they approach a slower-moving vehicle, they are unsure what to do. Accelerate, decelerate. Move out to pass, drop back in. Repeat.
You're dreaming once again. Driven well over a million miles without so much as a moving violation or fender bvender.

You really have to try to incorporate a little truth into your posts and stop being such a well, LIAR.

You think you are being cute

You think you are being witty

You think you are being intellectual

But you are not - you are just making up things and spewing them hoping they stick. aka a LIAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.