Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
As I said, biking is impractical for most of us.

But I will say, given the rise in obesity,etc., finding different ways to get to work would be great.

When I was a college kids. I had a little truck, and I would throw the bike in the back. I would drive to a bout a mile from campus at 7 am, then every errand, trip during the day was on that damn bike. It was cool, but a campus usually has extensive carless areas, so it was kind of ideal.

Great for your health is you can swing it. But several militant bike commuters I have known are dead. Bikes and traffic are a deadly mix.
I would also say, several people I have known have also been killed in car accidents, sometimes cars alone are a deadly mix.

Biking doesn't work for everyone, but in cities it should be a common alternative mode of transportation. Also it would make sense to think of he future of suburb developing with designing them so that biking can be used in those areas as well.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would also say, several people I have known have also been killed in car accidents, sometimes cars alone are a deadly mix.

Biking doesn't work for everyone, but in cities it should be a common alternative mode of transportation. Also it would make sense to think of he future of suburb developing with designing them so that biking can be used in those areas as well.
Unfortunately, it can't and never "can". For example, I drive 15 miles one way through the L.A. Basin. Most people do the same, or more, some - many - much more. Even if I could manage the ride, I'd show up exhausted and drenched in sweat - or rain or whatrever. It just doesn't work, and shouldn't be foisted upon commuters as part of some "progressive" agenda.

Bikes are great as recreational things, I used to ride many miles a week on the south-bay beach-side bike path, but I didn't pretend I belonged on streets. I carried to bike to the beach in my pickup.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default What do conservatives think of the bicycle as a mode of transportation?

It has some very limited utility.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
This is not a Conservative vs. Liberal subject.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
No, do you wear a shirt that says "throw a wrench at my windshield?"
Careful . . I brake for squirrels.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
This is not a Conservative vs. Liberal subject.
Conservatives don't ride bicycles in traffic; they have too much common sense.

Last edited by Nonarchist; 05-26-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Illinois recently passed a law that gives cyclists three feet of distance between motorists and cyclists when a cyclist is riding along the white line. This law holds the motorist responsible, legally, if he hits the cyclist. Before this law, the motorist was often not held responsible when a cyclist was injured or killed after being struck.

As an avid cyclist, I concentrate on the **95% of motorists who are courteous and respectful of us cyclists. There is no doubt in my mind that the 5% who are total a-holes are angry conservatives.

**In some places, this ratio can change, depending on how redneck and conservative the natives are.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Unfortunately, it can't and never "can". For example, I drive 15 miles one way through the L.A. Basin. Most people do the same, or more, some - many - much more. Even if I could manage the ride, I'd show up exhausted and drenched in sweat - or rain or whatrever. It just doesn't work, and shouldn't be foisted upon commuters as part of some "progressive" agenda.

Bikes are great as recreational things, I used to ride many miles a week on the south-bay beach-side bike path, but I didn't pretend I belonged on streets. I carried to bike to the beach in my pickup.
Of course not, bikes are recreational for you because you don't understand how to use them for work commuting and clearly live too far for you to want to bike that distance. People who do bike to work often times live within a 10 mile distance to work or live in a location where they can bike to a train and then bike from where the train drops them off.

No one is claiming biking is for everyone, but you are claiming commuting by bike is for no one and that is false.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Of course not, bikes are recreational for you because you don't understand how to use them for work commuting and clearly live too far for you to want to bike that distance. People who do bike to work often times live within a 10 mile distance to work or live in a location where they can bike to a train and then bike from where the train drops them off.

No one is claiming biking is for everyone, but you are claiming commuting by bike is for no one and that is false.
You should try not to use Strawmen in your posts. They are, in effect, LIES, and make you, the poster, a LIAR.

Go back and see if you can spot your LIE. It has to do with the word.....

Old 05-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Careful . . I brake for squirrels.
I do too, I would hate to hit a squirrel with my bike, that would be awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies