Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I personally know everyone who lives in my neighborhood.
I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Great. And relevant why?
I was responding to someone else's post about GZ's rationale for stopping TM. Capiche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
People's ignorance to the law is astonishing to say the least. I am not taking side but just want to point out the ignorance. I am not a lawyer so do your own due diligence:

1. Following someone is not illegal. For "following someone" to become illegal, you need to establish a trend to show repeated behavior to a point of being harassment.

2. Disobeying "orders" from 911 dispatch is not illegal.
You are a free citizen of the state. Unless you are doing something illegal or endangering other people's life, even the president of the United States can't order you to do anything.

3. Stand Your Ground law doesn't allow you to shoot just because you "feel" you are in some danger. No, you can't shoot someone because he looked at you in a wrong way and hope not going to be charged for First Degree Murder. Your fear of danger needs to be judged based on "reasonableness", in another word, what a reasonable person would do when he was in your shoes. This is the fundamental of our law system.

4. One thing a lot people forget is that Zimmerman was not on the public street. He was in a private, gated community where he was a legal resident and home owner. He has every right to investigate any suspicious activity, actually any activity he likes to investigate.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
So you've been griping and whining since this thread started and now you admit that it should be fair game to use this info since the same thing will be done to Zimmerman?
No, that's not what the poster said. She said if Zimmerman's attorneys bring up this stuff about Martin; Zimmerman's prior history will be brought up too. You know, his prior arrest record, his anger problems, his medication use, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I find this odd, as while I do not personally know most of my neighbors, and recognize most of them and/or the cars they drive.

Isn't that about the same as what I said? What makes it so odd, then?

It was not *that* late during this incident; it was about 7:30 PM.

Well maybe to you 7:30pm is not late, but it typically eliminates the different scenerios I mentioned in my post as mitigating possibilities why strangers would be in my neighborhood(i.e solicitors, workmen, etc).

We have no one's word but GZ's that Trayvon looked like he was casing the area. We do know that he was walking to the place where he was staying from a 7-11, so he had reason to be outside in the rain.

On the one hand you say we have no way of knowing what Martin was doing, just Zimmermans word. Fair enough. So how do we know for certain what Martin was doing after he left the 7-11?

I said we know he was walking back from the 7-11. He had been at the 7-11 to make a purchase. That's why he was outside walking.

As to having a reason to be out in the rain, walking to buy soda and candy is hardly a typical thing to do at night when it is raining.

I believe he was on an errand for a younger kid. Now maybe you are the baby of the family and never had to run an errand for someone else, but it happens.

We do not know what Zimmerman said to Trayvon. Considering he immediately called the police, before he encountered TM, we know he was suspicious of TM from the get-go.

Indeed, and this is a problem how?

It is a problem b/c GZ shot TM. He has admitted as much. Had he let the police handle it, the outcome would have been very different.

`
Mine in green.

Quote:
I live in a rural area, a single street neighborhood outside of a large town so yeah, I know the name of the street I live on.
Good for you. That jagoff GZ did not know the name of his own street. Don't you find that odd? Perhaps he was lying?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
Quote:
I can scream with someone's hands over my mouth and nose, can't you?
Well then you're a wizard. It wasn't screams. It was yells for help. They weren't even muffled cries for help. Get real.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
People's ignorance to the law is astonishing to say the least. I am not taking side but just want to point out the ignorance. I am not a lawyer so do your own due diligence:

1. Following someone is not illegal. For "following someone" to become illegal, you need to establish a trend to show repeated behavior to a point of being harassment.

2. Disobeying "orders" from 911 dispatch is not illegal.
You are a free citizen of the state. Unless you are doing something illegal or endangering other people's life, even the president of the United States can't order you to do anything.

3. Stand Your Ground law doesn't allow you to shoot just because you "feel" you are in some danger. No, you can't shoot someone because he looked at you in a wrong way and hope not going to be charged for First Degree Murder. Your fear of danger needs to be judged based on "reasonableness", in another word, what a reasonable person would do when he was in your shoes. This is the fundamental of our law system.

4. One thing a lot people forget is that Zimmerman was not on the public street. He was in a private, gated community where he was a legal resident and home owner. He has every right to investigate any suspicious activity, actually any activity he likes to investigate.
If the prosecutor can convince the jury of this fact, then Zimmerman will be convicted.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If the prosecutor can convince the jury of this fact, then Zimmerman will be convicted.
Zimmerman isn't even claiming this was a SYG situation, he's claiming simple self defense.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well then you're a wizard. It wasn't screams. It was yells for help. They weren't even muffled cries for help. Get real.
Can you even comprehend the idea that the 2 scenarios didn't happen at the exact same time?

Why don't you post exactly what Zimmerman said in his statement about the hands over his mouth and the yelling for help?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,100 times
Zimmerman case proves that the far right hates blacks more than they hate hispanics.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,066 times
Quote:
Zimmerman isn't even claiming this was a SYG situation, he's claiming simple self defense.
Non sequitur.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, that's not what the poster said. She said if Zimmerman's attorneys bring up this stuff about Martin; Zimmerman's prior history will be brought up too. You know, his prior arrest record, his anger problems, his medication use, etc.
Which is essentially exactly what I said, thanks for repeating my statement.

Quote:
Good for you. That jagoff GZ did not know the name of his own street. Don't you find that odd? Perhaps he was lying?
Do you know that Zimmerman lived on the street in question? There is more than 1 street in the community, I'm sure you're well aware.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies