U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:42 AM

2,923 posts, read 4,562,462 times

Advertisements

I'm against it because it's a difficult punishment to administer fairly + the chance of executing an innocent person. I don't think it's necessarily "just" for someone who commits a heinous crime to be given life in prison because they can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he did it, while someone who commits a less heinous (but still horrible) murder is given the death penalty because the evidence is more solid and irrefutable.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:42 AM

12,625 posts, read 18,107,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I've gone back and forth on this issue, but right now I am against it for a couple of reasons.

1. The possibility of executing an innocent person.

2. As Glitch stated, I am not sure that I trust the government with that power.

But if we do have the death penalty then I think we should have public executions. If we are willing to do it then I believe that we should be open about it and do it in front of God and everybody.
We have DNA and other things to link someone to a crime and how about caught red handed or the criminal bring them to the victims, that is pretty clear that they are guilty.
Well those of us that are old enough to remember the death penalty being enforced know that crimes were down.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:45 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,173,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I will never trust any government enough to give it the authority to execute its own citizens, for any reason.
I agree 100%

Old 11-03-2007, 11:47 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,173,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
We have DNA and other things to link someone to a crime and how about caught red handed or the criminal bring them to the victims, that is pretty clear that they are guilty.
Well those of us that are old enough to remember the death penalty being enforced know that crimes were down.
Violent crime is down from "your day"

Old 11-03-2007, 12:01 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,790,304 times
well let's examine the excuse for the death penalty, it will deter crime:
does anybody really believe that a person willing to take another human being's life is worried about his own? As I see it the death penalty just gives vengenance to the victim's family.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,144,343 times
I don't trust the system enough to give it the right to take such an irreversible action.

Plus, the death penalty doesn't deter criminals and it's hideously expensive to implement. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we did away with it.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I don't trust the system enough to give it the right to take such an irreversible action.

Plus, the death penalty doesn't deter criminals and it's hideously expensive to implement. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we did away with it.
So what you are saying is that is more expensive to execute someone than to say let them live for years and years off the taxpayers until they die.
Or by chance if they develop something like Alzheimer's or a long term indigent type illness is very expensive to treat also BTW.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,144,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
So what you are saying is that is more expensive to execute someone than to say let them live for years and years off the taxpayers until they die.
Or by chance if they develop something like Alzheimer's or a long term indigent type illness is very expensive to treat also BTW.
Studies have shown that it's cheaper to try a first degree murder case then incarcerate a convict for 40 years than it is to try a capital murder case then incarcerate a convict for the average stay on death row.

Life expectancy is quite low in prison. Most prisoners don't live long enough to develop Alzheimer's.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Studies have shown that it's cheaper to try a first degree murder case then incarcerate a convict for 40 years than it is to try a capital murder case then incarcerate a convict for the average stay on death row.

Life expectancy is quite low in prison. Most prisoners don't live long enough to develop Alzheimer's.
What studies might that be?
Scott Peterson almost got the death penalty didn't he? But instead got life.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Justice Department statistics show that the number of inmates in federal and state prisons age 55 and older shot up 33 percent from 2000 to 2005, the most recent year for which the data was available. That's faster than the 9 percent growth overall.
The trend is particularly pronounced in the South, which has some of the nation's toughest sentencing laws.

Estimates place the annual cost of housing an inmate at $18,000 to $31,000 a year. There is no firm separate number for housing an elderly inmate, but there is widespread agreement that it's significantly higher than for a younger one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies