Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
It means nothing, especially since it is the Obama administration that went after him,......
the federal investigation on arpio began during the bush administration. the case from the OP is a civil suit and has nothing to do with any administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How do you know that Arpaio wasn't stopping cars that were old, delapitated and probably had safety violations on them? Isn't it more likely that Hispanics would be driving those rickety cars? I know that not all Hispanics are poor and drive these types of vehicles but illegals certainly would be moreso than any other group and as you said most illegals are Hispanics.
Illegals would be more likely but no I do not know that Hispanics in general would. All the same if you were not targeting Hispanics you would be able to show that you pulled people over in a non profiling way.

Again, whether he did here or not I do not know. The courts found some problem but my argument is that you can not profile entire groups of people. When you do that you are targeting a large portion of people that have done absolutely nothing wrong or that you are stopping while not stopping others doing the same thing.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
And this is where we disagree.

Who said the hispanics need to be a majority in terms of overall population. The fact that the majority of illegals are hispanic (as you agreed) IS enough to show cause to look closer at hispanic groups when looking for the illegals. In another state where the hispanic population is small (ex. South Dakota - hispanic pop of 2.9%) singling out them out would be construed as racial profiling.
The majority of Hispanics have done nothing wrong here. They are American citizens. You can not single them out simply because a subset of those with like characteristics are not law abiding American citizens.

Quote:
We all have different views and I have to say it's been nice to actually have a discussion with someone who's opinion differs as opposed to the usual around here. I walked away from the forum 3 years ago because of it.
It's still mostly the usual around here.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM

163 posts, read 240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The majority of Hispanics have done nothing wrong here. They are American citizens. You can not single them out simply because a subset of those with like characteristics are not law abiding American citizens.

It's still mostly the usual around here.
You're right about the majority of hispanics but there is still a problem and it has to be addressed. If they are American citizens and their allegiance is to America then they shouldn't have a problem. If they are stopped they simply need to prove citizenship and go on their way. Unfortunately this problem has gotten so out of control that someone is going to be inconvenienced. It's a sorry situation but unavoidable. As American citizens they should want this brought under control and would want to help. So how would you suggest we deal with this problem if we can't go after the groups where they are?

And yeah, I can see that it's still the same here...that's why I'm about to walk away again.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
You're right about the majority of hispanics but there is still a problem and it has to be addressed.
I agree.

Quote:
If they are American citizens and their allegiance is to America then they shouldn't have a problem. If they are stopped they simply need to prove citizenship and go on their way. Unfortunately this problem has gotten so out of control that someone is going to be inconvenienced. It's a sorry situation but unavoidable. As American citizens they should want this brought under control and would want to help. So how would you suggest we deal with this problem if we can't go after the groups where they are?
First off we need to quit bribing them to come here. We need to quit calling them "undocumented" and call them what they are, illegals. Protecting the borders is one of the few things the federal government is supposed to do. They need to start.

The government needs to stop attacking those who want our actual laws enforced. As I said early on, none of this would be a problem if the government did it's job.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM

163 posts, read 240,837 times
Quote:
I agree.

First off we need to quit bribing them to come here. We need to quit calling them "undocumented" and call them what they are, illegals. Protecting the borders is one of the few things the federal government is supposed to do. They need to start.

The government needs to stop attacking those who want our actual laws enforced. As I said early on, none of this would be a problem if the government did it's job.
I mistakenly assumed you were one of the "pro-illegal" crowd but find I actually agree with everything you said there. All that is a step in the right direction but we also need to deal with those that are here and that means law enforcement at local levels.

The federal government has proven that they won't help when they sued Arizona for trying to enforce the laws. And that is all Sheriff Joe is trying to do, maybe it's not in the most PC way but he gets results.

A situation as the one this country is in will never end with everyone happy.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Illegals would be more likely but no I do not know that Hispanics in general would. All the same if you were not targeting Hispanics you would be able to show that you pulled people over in a non profiling way.

Again, whether he did here or not I do not know. The courts found some problem but my argument is that you can not profile entire groups of people. When you do that you are targeting a large portion of people that have done absolutely nothing wrong or that you are stopping while not stopping others doing the same thing.
The problem is that there are far too many Hispanic citizens that want to protect illegal aliens of their ethnic group from detection and that is why they are screaming racial profiling. It's just an excuse not based on reality and that is why I have no sympathy for their claims. If most illegals were non-hispanic white like myself and I lived in an area where many resided and since I would be racially/ethnically like them I would have no problem with being questioned as I have no agenda to protect illegal aliens just because they were like me. I would have a valid ID and I am a citizen so what's to fear?

I don't think it was proven that Arpaio purposely stopped Hispanics based soley on their ethnicity anyway. As I said from what I understand vehicles were stopped because they looked unsafe to drive and the likelyhood of them being driven by illegals or poor Hispanic citizens would be very high in that area.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I mistakenly assumed you were one of the "pro-illegal" crowd but find I actually agree with everything you said there. All that is a step in the right direction but we also need to deal with those that are here and that means law enforcement at local levels.
I am fine with checking for I.D.'s as long as we are not singling out a single group for that.

Quote:
The federal government has proven that they won't help when they sued Arizona for trying to enforce the laws. And that is all Sheriff Joe is trying to do, maybe it's not in the most PC way but he gets results.

A situation as the one this country is in will never end with everyone happy.
Indeed he could do it all by the book and many will still complain. We can't toss aside the rights of others to address this though.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The problem is that there are far too many Hispanic citizens that want to protect illegal aliens of their ethnic group from detection and that is why they are screaming racial profiling. It's just an excuse not based on reality and that is why I have no sympathy for their claims. If most illegals were non-hispanic white like myself and I lived in an area where many resided and since I would be racially/ethnically like them I would have no problem with being questioned as I have no agenda to protect illegal aliens just because they were like me. I would have a valid ID and I am a citizen so what's to fear?
Do you turn in your friends, neighbors and relatives that you know are fudging on their taxes?

Quote:
I don't think it was proven that Arpaio purposely stopped Hispanics based soley on their ethnicity anyway. As I said from what I understand vehicles were stopped because they looked unsafe to drive and the likelyhood of them being driven by illegals or poor Hispanic citizens would be very high in that area.
Maybe, maybe not.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Just say NO to profiling and unlawful stops. That's nanny-state too.

If you want to solve the illegal problem, don't allow employers to hire them or come up with some realistic immigration program.

^^^ this. We need to make so that those who hire illegal aliens, whether at the corner at Home Depot or in the workforce with a fake SSN or stolen identity are held responsible as much as the person who is here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies