Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Get ready for another scare from the feds. Couldn't come at a better time for dear leader. He needs something to blame the economic woes on.

"US health authorities said on Thursday they were liaising with domestic and international partners to develop a vaccine for the virus.
The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, a US federal agency, said it was “gathering more information to make a knowledgeable public health risk assessment, and developing a candidate vaccine virus”.
According to the WHO, the animal source of the infection and its mode of transmission are not yet clear.
“We do not yet know enough about these infections to determine whether there is a significant risk of community spread,” the UN’s health agency said in an online H7N9 update.
Experts are concerned that the virus appears to have spread across a wide geographical area, with people sickened not only in Shanghai, but also the nearby provinces of Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Anhui.
“I am cautiously worried,” virologist John Oxford of the Queen Mary University of London said.
“If there were four cases in Shanghai, I would be much less concerned, but because it is so geographically widespread I think it is trying to tell us something.”

Death of Zhejiang farmer raises China's human bird flu toll to six | South China Morning Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Here's what worries me--they prepare people for the worst case scenario over and over, and then it doesn't happen. When we really do face a pandemic (and it WILL happen) no one will take it seriously until it's too late. Look at what happened with the Spanish flu in 1918--it killed 100 million people (1 out of 5 who contracted it) and most of the people who died were healthy young adults. That particular virus worked by inducing an out of control response in the immune system that attacked your entire body--the stronger your immune system, the more likely that flu strain would kill you. With most other flu strains, the elderly, the sick, and the very young are the first to die.

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 PM

So true. The old and yutes will get hit the hardest. Best start eating oranges.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So true. The old and yutes will get hit the hardest. Best start eating oranges.
Actually if you read about the outbreaks during pandemics it is healthy young adults that are hit the hardest.
Healthy immune systems overreact to the virus causing your body to basically shut down and die. Those with chronic illnesses and elderly were actually not that badly affected and had lower death rates.

This new strain is not easily passed from person to person and there's no threat of a pandemic. This has happened several times, no need to panic.

FYI- they are taking necessary precautions to keep people safe. BUT they are telling everyone to remain calm.

So what's with this 'conspiracy' theory?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Conspiracy theory? You don't think this new strain is real or something?? They always tell everyone to remain calm as they cull thousands of chickens.

"The World Health Organisation (WHO) has played down fears over the H7N9 strain, saying there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission, but that it was crucial to find out how the virus infects humans."

This means they don't know. Do you know more than the CDC and WHO? I suggest you give them a call because they appear to need some help.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Is this yet another scary flu virus that I'm not, along with hundreds of millions of other people, will be fine against? I swear, during the height of the swine flu epidemic, I never got the vaccine, never contracted the swine flu even when I was in a crowded movie theater. The only time I ever got the flu was when I was vaccinated for it, go figure

Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Did we start importing those "organic chickens" from China yet ?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Quote:
On October 10, 2011 the WHO announced a total of 566 confirmed human cases which resulted in the deaths of 332 people since 2003.
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Influenza spreads around the world in seasonal epidemics, resulting in about three to five million yearly cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 yearly deaths
Influenza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bird flu has killed about 37 people a year, compared to 375,000 of normal flu. Running around yelling about bird flu when the regular flu kills over 10,000x that seems like a completely insane waste of time and energy...for almost 0 result.

It's like yelling and raving about shark attacks in Idaho.

Last edited by EmeraldCityWanderer; 04-05-2013 at 06:24 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's what worries me--they prepare people for the worst case scenario over and over, and then it doesn't happen. When we really do face a pandemic (and it WILL happen) no one will take it seriously until it's too late. Look at what happened with the Spanish flu in 1918--it killed 100 million people (1 out of 5 who contracted it) and most of the people who died were healthy young adults. That particular virus worked by inducing an out of control response in the immune system that attacked your entire body--the stronger your immune system, the more likely that flu strain would kill you. With most other flu strains, the elderly, the sick, and the very young are the first to die.

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's what they seem to be doing..the boy that cried wolf.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is this yet another scary flu virus that I'm not, along with hundreds of millions of other people, will be fine against? I swear, during the height of the swine flu epidemic, I never got the vaccine, never contracted the swine flu even when I was in a crowded movie theater. The only time I ever got the flu was when I was vaccinated for it, go figure
I'm in that same boat. Only got the flu once..the year I got the shot due to so much family pressure to "get it".

I think I'll take my chances with staying healthy and doing the "isolation" route if a pandemic breaks out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies