Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,984,866 times

Advertisements

Farmer acquitted of producing milk without license

Farmer acquitted of producing milk without license | WashingtonExaminer.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM

77,951 posts, read 60,120,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Most states allow the sale of "raw milk" etc. just seems like WI and their big dairy interests have made it harder in the state. This type of mafia monopoly happens all over and affects pretty much every interest imaginable. Heck, just look at some of the states that don't let you pump your own gas.....or require hiring union workers instead of doing it yourself etc.

He was still found guilty of violating the hold, but that troubles me since that would arguably cost him his business. You can't just stop doing business for 2 years or so while the legal process unwinds.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Since he was found not guilty of doing anything wrong I imagine the end result will be a slap on the wrist at most.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,667,746 times
Quote:

Wonderful news. I would love to be on a jury for one of these trials. My vote would be "NOT GUILTY".

Jury nullification is the best way we have to weaken the power of our oppressive government.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,088,915 times
We need more policies that help remove barriers to entry into a lot of our industries. As long as customers know where they're getting their products from, I don't see a big issue.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,922,985 times
Quote:
Since he was found not guilty of doing anything wrong I imagine the end result will be a slap on the wrist at most.

I wouldn't be willing to bet on that. The presiding judge gave some pretty strong instructions against jury nullification.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I wouldn't be willing to bet on that. The presiding judge gave some pretty strong instructions against jury nullification.
There is no indications that there was any nullification here. Just because a ruling goes against the government doesn't mean it did so because of jury nullification.

I imagine we are soon to see more than a few go against the government.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,260,642 times
The loophole now for the small farmer is that the customer owns part of the cow and therefore the milk is actually theirs.
The same is being done with grass fed beef and pork. That's about the only way now to get around the big ag regulations that would bankrupt many of them before they even started.

Then it's not really a "sale".

Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,056,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The loophole now for the small farmer is that the customer owns part of the cow and therefore the milk is actually theirs.
The same is being done with grass fed beef and pork. That's about the only way now to get around the big ag regulations that would bankrupt many of them before they even started.

Then it's not really a "sale".
You can thank the big farming corporations for that.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,575,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post

It's doesn't matter what the judge's views are with regards to jury nullification. Unfortunately many people are bullied by judges who take a dim view of this de facto power inherent amoungst juries. Probably why I haven't been selected for a jury in over 15 years. You can see it on my face and the my answers to the attornies questions I am the ultimate arbitor of whether the defendent is guilty and how the law is applied. Judges and attorneys be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies