Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
If a military draft is re-instated, should it also include women?
Yes imo.
Only if it is restricted to Sarah Palin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 AM

74 posts, read 141,853 times
Include women? Shud ya moud!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Absolutely. No distinctions between the two.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Yes, women too. Just have it as a reserve training enlistment. You do your basic training, then serve two weeks active duty for four years, with one weekend a month. If they can't serve in the military, you have a civil group they could join that would have them clean up city neighborhoods, pick up trash along highways, clear brush in parks, respond to disasters, etc. I seriously doubt they'd ever have to see combat and there's no reason to change current military standards.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Only if it is restricted to Sarah Palin.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
I know you said if.....

A draft is the biggest mistake any military can make unless it's a matter of the survival of the democracy. You can't force people who don't want to stick up for their country to go out with a gun and fire. Retreating is more demoralizing to the forces than just about anything short of getting your head blown off.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
absolutely. they want equality, here you gobut dont worry, there wont be a draft

Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 977 times
Default Yes they should

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
There will not be a draft and women should never be drafted!

Well you can't say there wont be a draft. And yes women should be included in a draft. Women have been fighting long and hard for equal rights to men. If they wont there equal rights they should have to do everything a male has to do. Women should have no specal privlages just because there a female. They wanted equal rights so its time they step up and share the rights that all man shares (that deffenitly mean the draft).

Demo214

Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
Sure, people are different but how many military folks ever "knife-fight"? I was in the Marines for six years and they never even issued me a knife (I bought one myself because I thought the K Bar was cool, and was never even asked to bring it anywhere). I think even a tiny little woman can handle the 7 lb M-16.

Also, why do people let others define their abilities? It's a good thing that world-class chefs like Wolfgang Puck never listened to the "men can't cook" line of balony! That is a classic example of people letting attitudes shape them - what physical limitation against men does cooking have?
You may have been a WM but let's be realistic!

I was an 0311 for many years and worked on some bases with WMs but don't tell me that when we go on a hump I can automatically throw the mortar base plate to a WM and expect her to keep up while carrying the rest of her gear,(pack, web belt, canteens, ammo, helmet, MREs, vest).

I don't mind females serving but we both know that the physical standards are lowered in all aspects of the training regimine for women.

I don't want to carry and extra weight (mental or physical) then I have to worrying about the females in my fireteam or squad.

It may not be PC and you may not like it but it's the truth.

Don't come into combat arms!

A tiny woman may be able to handle the M-16 but can she handle the hump to get their, if the 16 jams can she handle that enemy combatant that is measurably stronger and more arrgessive by nature than she is.

If you miss with your K-Bar who will typically have the upper body strength to retain that knife and when he takes it from you will he stick it in my back because he realises I'm more of a threat to him?

I don't have a problem with women serving but some jobs are not for them.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Women have been part of the US military for decades, usually in non-combat jobs. In recent times they are also in combat positions. The eligible draft age is from 18 to 26. With all the grandiose plans for expanding American wars, a draft may be necessary, soon.
Do you think that women should be included in the draft.
If one is in favor of granting equal political liberty to women, women should be obligated to perform the same duties as male citizens.

I heartily approve of compulsory military training and service for all female citizens, 17 through 45.

The militia, now.
Title 10 USC Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, ..., under 45 years of age who are,... citizens of the United States....

Title 50 USC Sec. 453. Registration (Selective Service)
(a)...it shall be the duty of every male citizen of the United States, ... to present himself for and submit to registration ...
If women wish to have their right to life supersede men's right to life, and abstain from military service, they should be barred from political liberty, as well.

That's EQUAL RIGHTS for EQUAL DUTIES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies