U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,106,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
He didn't create Gay. The people made a choice. Just like everyone makes a lifestyle choice.
Saying something doesn't make it true.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,389,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
That's what they love to use. The Leviticus statement, yet they have no idea in what context it was originally used in. I'll post something I love to use against this statement and maybe you'll better understand my position on the matter
So you are saying since there is nothing New, mentioned in the New Testament that homosexual behavior is acceptable by God.

Let me ask this then.

When Paul addresses relationships in I and II Corinthians, to whom does he speak? Who is his audience?

PS: Paul is real big on abstinence.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 06-08-2013 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM

20,322 posts, read 10,396,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
So you are saying since there is nothing New, mentioned in the New Testament that homosexual behavior is acceptable by God.

Let me ask this then.

When Paul addresses relationships in I and II Corinthians, to whom does he speak? Who is his audience?
Is Paul god?

Also look at the customs of the area during that time period. They had ritualistic orgies to pagan gods.
Do you think that is why Paul specifically mentioned idol worship in connection with those verses?

I don't know any homosexuals that are having ritualistic sex and worshiping idols.

The same way slavery was different then, homosexuality is different now.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM

4,375 posts, read 2,747,253 times
Quote:

Let me ask this then.

Okay I have no idea what you're on about. All I'm saying is that Jesus or "god" never spoke on homosexuality. Once. At all.

People use the Leviticus statement as a means to an end when they don't understand what it means. What I'm saying is I present the above quoted statement to them and they struggle to come up with a reply since it challenges their total argument.

All the bible thumpers who say "god" hates **** or whatever have no idea what they're talking about and are pretentious enough to think they know what god thinks.

It's annoying more than anything.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Okay I have no idea what you're on about. All I'm saying is that Jesus or "god" never spoke on homosexuality. Once. At all.

People use the Leviticus statement as a means to an end when they don't understand what it means. What I'm saying is I present the above quoted statement to them and they struggle to come up with a reply since it challenges their total argument.

All the bible thumpers who say "god" hates **** or whatever have no idea what they're talking about and are pretentious enough to think they know what god thinks.

It's annoying more than anything.
In 2 Timothy it is stated that The Bible was inspired by God. So one can conclude that when Paul writes, his inspiration to do so, is through God.

We are done with Leviticus, we're in the New Testament now. Again, who is Paul's audience when he speaks about relationships? Once again, Paul is real big on abstinence.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:38 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,604,204 times
Quote:

You mention Leviticus. I'm not a bible thumper, yet I keep thinking the answers to God's thoughts on homosexual behavior is addressed by the author of Acts. The word is not used, but the act of same sex laying with one another is discussed.
Actually it's not. Only 2 verses in the New Testament make any reference to same-sex behavior, one of which is a proven corruption, and one of which is strictly in the context of pagan worship and even Saint Augustine said it's referring to heterosexuals.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
In 2 Timothy it is stated that The Bible was inspired by God.
Timothy doesn't say the Bible is inspired by God, it says scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching. The only scripture that existed was the Hebrew scriptures. That verse has no bearing on the New Testament. Paul was not declaring his own writing inspired.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Let me ask this then.

Corinthians doesn't mention homosexuality in the original Greek. That's a modern corruption that wasn't added until 1946. Do you really think Paul was condemning gay people when 1) They were a small minority and 2) He had no clue about sexual orientation?

Paul was addressing the pagan worship practices and slavery/economic exploitation common in ancient Greece.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What does the Bible actually say about being gay?
The most famous of them is probably from Leviticus: [b]"You shall not lie with a man as with a woman; that is an abomination."
You are aware that's not the meaning in Hebrew, and it only applied to the Levite Priesthood and Ancient Israelites right? Did you bother to read that verse in context, where it's discussing giving over children to the Canaanite god Molech?

Old 06-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Is Paul god?

Also look at the customs of the area during that time period. They had ritualistic orgies to pagan gods.
Do you think that is why Paul specifically mentioned idol worship in connection with those verses?

I don't know any homosexuals that are having ritualistic sex and worshiping idols.

The same way slavery was different then, homosexuality is different now.
Yes, I do speak about our social evolutions. I don't deny or dispute what you are saying about slavery, or idols, or pagan worship, which all is still conducted today....even when mans laws strictly forbid this behavior, there are sex slaves. Human trafficking has been going on forever. The first slaves were British Slaves 200 years ago.

Paul is not God, yet he speaks moved by God. God being defined by, something that is greater than man and man recognizes such existence.

Slavery then was man's law enacted in order to pay debts, today it is not. That changed, but as I said, it hasn't stopped people from doing. They are just more careful about being caught.

Homosexuality is not illegal. It never was or has been illegal. So it isn't different now.

The only thing with homosexual behavior is if that person believes in The Kingdom of Heaven and will God allow their spirit to reside there.

Also, this society to accept same sex marriage, which has never been done for over 6000 years, will be a huge leap in social structuring and acceptable moral behavior and laws that govern that moral behavior, sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies