Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
There's not enough "Diversity" in Seattle and Portland for it to be a liberal utopia.

It has to be overflowing with minorities.
Fair enough, looks like San Francisco in the west coast left-wing utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,772,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Houston has a population of 2.1 million. New York City's population is 8.3 million. No chance Houston is going to surpass NYC in population.
True, although greater Houston is actually about 5.5 mil, and that was before the 2008 downturn. As the city of Houston grows both physically and financially, and absorbs more people relocating from other states, the population is going to continue to explode beyond that 2.1 figure, but I can't see passing NYC for a very long long time.

But we could pass up Chicago very soon!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 AM

940 posts, read 3,185,462 times
lol at all the houston homerism. 600 square miles with only 2.15 million. los angeles has 4 million in 469 square miles (probably not even including all the illegals). even better is chicago with with 2.7 million in 227 square miles. and best is nyc with over 8.25 million in 300 square miles. when you look at urban area, metro area, and CSA, houston is even more laughable, even with its growth rate. its growth rate percentage has to be twofold just to keep up with los angeles and fourfold to keep up with nyc.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,439,802 times
Quote:
There's not enough "Diversity" in Seattle and Portland for it to be a liberal utopia.
It has to be overflowing with minorities.
Why are you so obsessed with race?

Quote:
I predict Frisco in the far future will become a major Texas city because it's attracting alot of wealthy white folks from all over the country.

Quote:
I spent a few weeks in Dallas this past fall and rarely saw white people anywhere I went, and usually when I did it was trashy white women that looked strung out on dope with mixed kids not far behind. It was the first time in my life that I realized walking around that I was a minority.

It definetly felt like I was in a foreign country.

I looked at the census data for dallas shortly after I returned to see wtf was going on, and found out that most all of the whites have left dallas and the few that are still there all reside in small wealthy enclaves on the north side of dallas. Likely doctors and such living there only for the high paying job they have.

In any case, Dallas is not some place I would want to live after visiting there.

Quote:
I thought the black ghettos in my home town were bad. But they aren't nothing compared to that neighborhood I accdiently drove through on the way back.

Needless to say, when I realized where I was, I locked my doors while driving.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times
A red neck town with the climate of Calcutta?

Y'all can keep it....Have fun!

Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,578,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Houston is an amazing city. Makes me proud to claim it as a fellow Texan.

Plus - Houston gave us Lyle Lovett. THANKS, Y'ALL!
And Beyonce. heehee!!

Old 05-31-2013, 05:55 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
A red neck town with the climate of Calcutta?

Y'all can keep it....Have fun!
Wow, if you think Houston is a "redneck town," you really need to get out more.

But feel free to avoid Houston - we'll probably all be happier.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,909,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then why is the Space Program in Houston? Last time I checked, you have to be excellent in mathematics to work for the program. You have to be excellent in math to work in the high level jobs in the energy industry.

And oh yes, Texas Instruments, you know, the calculator company, comes out of Texas.
LOL, the space program is in Houston because of certain powerful political figures that made it happen.

It is weird that in a right wing "We Built It" paradise like Houston, that prominent points of pride like the Astrodome and NASA are funded by taxpayer dollars.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,479,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Houston has a population of 2.1 million. New York City's population is 8.3 million. No chance Houston is going to surpass NYC in population.
Houston Metro has only 6 million people right now compared to NYC alone having over 8 million.

So even if Houston annexed it's entire metro(impossible since it's several counties) it'd have to grow by 2 million more people in the next; which is more than the metro added during the last decade. So the Houston metro itself might come close to passing New York City but not the city of Houston alone--for a long while.

If the city of Houston were to pass NYC it'd have to be a much denser city--or annex surrounding towns or a combination of both.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
LOL, the space program is in Houston because of certain powerful political figures that made it happen.

It is weird that in a right wing "We Built It" paradise like Houston, that prominent points of pride like the Astrodome and NASA are funded by taxpayer dollars.
I'm hardly a right-wing person. However, the idea that Texas is somehow "mathematically deficient" is rather stupid.

NASA and the AstroDome might have been funded by taxpayer dollars, but the last time I checked, weren't Texans also taxpayers? And consider this, it is still in Texas.

I see you have ignored the Texas Instruments comment I made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies