U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:34 AM
 
47,546 posts, read 45,245,703 times
Reputation: 15190

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
Yes. Just take a look at Detroit. A true left-wing utopia.
Detroit had similar problems to other cities in the Rust Belt. However, with Detroit, it was a matter of putting all of its eggs in one basket. Once the automobile industry was established in Detroit, urban planning because somewhat unimportant.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » The Reasons Behind Detroit’s Decline by Pete Saunders

Boston is considered a true "left wing utopia" and it is in much better shape than Detroit. Minneapolis, "left wing utopia", and it is in good shape, and rated one of the top cities for quality of life. Detroit has a totally different set of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
9,033 posts, read 8,713,420 times
Reputation: 5665
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Heck, even Seattle and Portland are awesome "left-wing utopias." Both of those cities are like living in liberal heaven.
And don't forget San Francisco, which is thriving despite being perhaps the left-wingiest utopia of them all.

Even Houston has its left-wing tendencies... large parts of it are represented in Congress by über-leftie Sheila Jackson Lee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 01:02 AM
 
47,546 posts, read 45,245,703 times
Reputation: 15190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And don't forget San Francisco, which is thriving despite being perhaps the left-wingiest utopia of them all.

Even Houston has its left-wing tendencies... large parts of it are represented in Congress by über-leftie Sheila Jackson Lee.
Perhaps it has nothing to do with left-wing or right wing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 AM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,192 posts, read 4,370,546 times
Reputation: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
keep your big Texas cities..I'll take my 5K town any day of the week over them
Hear, hear.

I was born in Texas and there is a lot of Texas and a lot about Texas that I love.

Houston is not one of them.

Admittedly, it's been about 15 years since I've been through Houston, but prior to that I spent a good deal of time there over the years. Never cared for it. I know it has grown and changed (for the better in many ways) in the last 15 years, but it is probably my least favorite town in Texas and, come to think of it, in that entire region of the country.

Although I have to say, I'm stuck in OKC now and I dislike it enough that I'd probably trade it for living in Houston in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 03:38 AM
 
92 posts, read 45,912 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I thought New York City was the left-wing utopia? Is NYC too economically powerful for you to use in your "left-wing utopia" bashing?

Heck, even Seattle and Portland are awesome "left-wing utopias." Both of those cities are like living in liberal heaven.
There's not enough "Diversity" in Seattle and Portland for it to be a liberal utopia.

It has to be overflowing with minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 03:41 AM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,192 posts, read 4,370,546 times
Reputation: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
It seems like here in Denver every other person I meet is from Texas--many of them from Houston. The main reasons for leaving? Weather, traffic, air pollution, crime, and property taxes.
Yes, the traffic in Houston is abysmal, as it the weather most of the year. The heat and humidity are ghastly and I honestly don't understand why people would voluntarily expose themselves to that. Again, though, where I'm at is almost as bad.

The property taxes in Texas are pretty horrific. My dad retired from teaching college in Oklahoma and for a time moved to a town between Austin and San Antonio and said it was financial suicide due to the taxes.

Oklahoma has its share of problems, and it sure isn't on my top five states in which to live, but even though the sales tax here is high, cost of living is otherwise pretty darn reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 AM
 
92 posts, read 45,912 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Hear, hear.

I was born in Texas and there is a lot of Texas and a lot about Texas that I love.

Houston is not one of them.

Admittedly, it's been about 15 years since I've been through Houston, but prior to that I spent a good deal of time there over the years. Never cared for it. I know it has grown and changed (for the better in many ways) in the last 15 years, but it is probably my least favorite town in Texas and, come to think of it, in that entire region of the country.

Although I have to say, I'm stuck in OKC now and I dislike it enough that I'd probably trade it for living in Houston in a heartbeat.
If you think Houston is bad then you haven't been to Dallas lately.

It's remarkable how far downhill Dallas went. Some places of dallas look like detroit. It's that bad.

As far as I'm aware, Austin is the only major city in Texas that's not a liberal cesspool and turned into a complete, unlivable dump. I've not been to San Antonio before so I can't comment on that city.

But Frisco is where it's at in Texas. I predict Frisco in the far future will become a major Texas city because it's attracting alot of wealthy white folks from all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,192 posts, read 4,370,546 times
Reputation: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
There's not enough "Diversity" in Seattle and Portland for it to be a liberal utopia.

It has to be overflowing with minorities.
I just returned to Oklahoma after 8 years out of state, half of that time in Portland. Spent a lot of time in Seattle as well.

Just wondering if you've ever been to either city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 AM
 
92 posts, read 45,912 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I just returned to Oklahoma after 8 years out of state, half of that time in Portland. Spent a lot of time in Seattle as well.

Just wondering if you've ever been to either city.
Census bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 AM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,192 posts, read 4,370,546 times
Reputation: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
If you think Houston is bad then you haven't been to Dallas lately.
It's true. It's been a decade since I've been to Dallas. Never cared much for Dallas either.

Quote:
It's remarkable how far downhill Dallas went. Some places of dallas look like detroit. It's that bad.
I think a lot of this has to do with cities outgrowing their infrastructure as people flood in. I don't think it's a liberal/conservative thing, nor do I think it has to do with the racial makeup or national origin of the people themselves. But it does depend o the city. Some cities can have positive growth, but it seems that more often they sort of begin to crumble under their own weight.

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, Austin is the only major city in Texas that's not a liberal cesspool and turned into a complete, unlivable dump. I've not been to San Antonio before so I can't comment on that city.
Austin is certainly the most liberal city in Texas. No question. Politically speaking, at least. It's my birthplace and I dig Austin, but it has become really expensive and the traffic is crazy. It's grown so much so quickly. I always liked San Antonio, but again, it's been several years since I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:35 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top