U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,595,207 times
Reputation: 1238

Advertisements

One of the talking points by conservatives, is that alot of republican voters didn't vote because romney wasn't conservative enough. I've never quite understood this logic, because conservatives had a chance to vote for a tea party politician in michelle Bachmann, but didn't. Why didn't she get the nomination? She seems to very popular among conservatives. I'm really serious about this question because this is something I constantly read online, is that conservatives stayed home.

P.S. for my fellow liberals, i know she is bat **** crazy. this question is for the conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:21 PM
 
11,403 posts, read 7,363,615 times
Reputation: 4544
The tea party's power is a mirage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,565,301 times
Reputation: 9216
A) SOME conservatives think Romney lost because he wasn't conservative enough.

B) Other conservatives think Obama just ran a better campaign.

C) Other conservatives think Romney's party is too conservative and lost the votes of too many in the middle.

I don't think there is a single correct answer. Many conservatives did not like Bachmann (count me as one of them), nor Perry, nor Santorum. Hence these three did not survive the debates and primary process.

Bachmann is not very bright. But neither is Nancy "you'll have to read the bill to find out what's in it" Pelosi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,763 posts, read 3,579,310 times
Reputation: 2578
There aren't enough moderate Republicans left to support a sane Republican Presidential candidate. That leaves the party in an almost impossible position whereby they have to select a candidate that satisfies the extremists but whom will never appeal to most people voting in the general election. It seems that with every election, Republican Presidential candidates start spewing more and more hatred and religious bigotry which is now contrary to popular culture and immediately turns off the electorate.

If the Republican party is to survive, they are going to need to shift away from the right wing extremist and towards a more positive message -- rather than constantly beating the drum that the country is on the verge of collapse and that certain minority groups are to blame.

The Tea Party is done. The majority of the country doesn't want a conservative Christian theocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
 
50,764 posts, read 26,790,111 times
Reputation: 15909
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A) SOME conservatives think Romney lost because he wasn't conservative enough.

B) Other conservatives think Obama just ran a better campaign.

C) Other conservatives think Romney's party is too conservative and lost the votes of too many in the middle.

I don't think there is a single correct answer. Many conservatives did not like Bachmann (count me as one of them), nor Perry, nor Santorum. Hence these three did not survive the debates and primary process.

Bachmann is not very bright. But neither is Nancy "you'll have to read the bill to find out what's in it" Pelosi.
Yea, because Bachmann, a congressional backbencher is comparable to the House Speaker.

Conservatives always talk big, then proceed to nominate the guy who they think can win as opposed to nominating the most conservative candidate.

That's why I pay them no mind when they talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Reputation: 3490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Why didn't she get the nomination?
Why? I believe that was because though the far-right element of the far-right portion of the GOP likes her rhetoric and combativeness ... she scares them to the point they don't think she'd be a good party or national leader. The same was true with Sara "bridge to nowhere" Palin. Looney as a drunk monkey, but the darling of that ilk because of her combativeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
 
1,751 posts, read 1,028,395 times
Reputation: 848
Talking tough means nothing when you can't articulate a message and instead resort to just saying I'm better than the other guy because (add whatever dumb thing here)

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
 
Location: The Woodlands
795 posts, read 1,379,519 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Why didn't she get the nomination? She seems to very popular among conservatives.
Winning elections is all about persuading others to vote for you. Whilst you personally may think she was the best candidate, the majority of the GOP were not won over by her style, vision or campaign. Does not make her a bad person or wrong. She just was not as good as Romney was.

So the facts are, she was not very popular on a nationwide scale with conservatives. Your view is skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,874,777 times
Reputation: 9383
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
There aren't enough moderate Republicans left to support a sane Republican Presidential candidate. That leaves the party in an almost impossible position whereby they have to select a candidate that satisfies the extremists but whom will never appeal to most people voting in the general election. It seems that with every election, Republican Presidential candidates start spewing more and more hatred and religious bigotry which is now contrary to popular culture and immediately turns off the electorate.

If the Republican party is to survive, they are going to need to shift away from the right wing extremist and towards a more positive message -- rather than constantly beating the drum that the country is on the verge of collapse and that certain minority groups are to blame.

The Tea Party is done. The majority of the country doesn't want a conservative Christian theocracy.
100% hyperbole and not a single fact to be found in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,595,207 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Winning elections is all about persuading others to vote for you. Whilst you personally may think she was the best candidate, the majority of the GOP were not won over by her style, vision or campaign. Does not make her a bad person or wrong. She just was not as good as Romney was.

So the facts are, she was not very popular on a nationwide scale with conservatives. Your view is skewed.
but conservative are supposed to be for small government, fiscal responsiblity. Didn't bachmann represent that>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:21 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top