Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times

Advertisements

Before my step-dad married my mum he had to make a few adjustments:

No facial hair
No smoking cigars
No guns

...The way things turned out, it was a good thing for the family's well-being that he didn't have a gun (or does he?, I dunno, I did see an NRA magazine in his suitcase not long before I left) in the house, since he can be a violent and deranged man whenever he is drunk

Now, I work the night shift, and recently there has been a string of robberies around the neighborhoods I live in. While my own neighborhood is in a safe area, I commute through these neighborhoods by bike (not enough money for a car, ever since cash for clunkers). I've been considering getting a weapon (and my state only allows conceal carry)

Are women like my mum an anomaly, or should I keep quiet on this issue so as not to limit my dating options?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,810,581 times
My first response is no. But then thinking about it. If my husband carried a gun, I'd make an exception for him. So, I'd rather the guy didn't. In the pro vs con checklist, that would go under con.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:40 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
i think its kinda hott and manly. that being said i'd probably wonder if he was a drug dealer or something if i didn't know much else about him. by itself it isnt an issue...certainly not a dealbreaker for a man i was otherwise into.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

No facial hair
No smoking cigars
No guns

...The way things turned out, it was a good thing for the family's well-being that he didn't have a gun (or does he?, I dunno, I did see an NRA magazine in his suitcase not long before I left) in the house, since he can be a violent and deranged man whenever he is drunk

Now, I work the night shift, and recently there has been a string of robberies around the neighborhoods I live in. While my own neighborhood is in a safe area, I commute through these neighborhoods by bike (not enough money for a car, ever since cash for clunkers). I've been considering getting a weapon (and my state only allows conceal carry)

Are women like my mum an anomaly, or should I keep quiet on this issue so as not to limit my dating options?
There are no adjustments to be made when one marries (in my opinion), you accept them as they are, facial hair, cigars and all. As far as the concealed weapon goes, eh.......who cares. I've got one so no reason for them not to have one.

Why is it that people feel the need to "hide" something that is part of their normal daily lives. Do you think this person is not going to find out about it or do you hope they don't find out until after you are married.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
I'm not a lady, but I'm a man who once went on a date with a woman who disclosed to me near the end of our date that she had been carrying a concealed weapon in her purse the whole time. I was appalled. By then the gun had been in my car and with us at a bar. I asked her to place not bring it on our next date, and she agreed. (In retrospect I can't even believe I agreed to a second date, but she was young and attractive, so reason did not prevail.) I think we only had a couple of more dates after that before it fizzled out. It turned out that views on weapon-carrying weren't the only thing we didn't have in common. Go figure.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There are no adjustments to be made when one marries (in my opinion), you accept them as they are, facial hair, cigars and all. As far as the concealed weapon goes, eh.......who cares. I've got one so no reason for them not to have one.

Why is it that people feel the need to "hide" something that is part of their normal daily lives. Do you think this person is not going to find out about it or do you hope they don't find out until after you are married.
Bleh, it's a sensitive issue these days, but I'd rather not limit my options. I will tell them after we have established the relationship.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I'm not a lady, but I'm a man who once went on a date with a woman who disclosed to me near the end of our date that she had been carrying a concealed weapon in her purse the whole time. I was appalled. By then the gun had been in my car and with us at a bar. I asked her to place not bring it on our next date, and she agreed. (In retrospect I can't even believe I agreed to a second date, but she was young and attractive, so reason did not prevail.) I think we only had a couple of more dates after that before it fizzled out. It turned out that views on weapon-carrying weren't the only thing we didn't have in common. Go figure.
One of the people that were robbed at gunpoint recently was an unarmed couple who was walking to their car after the bar had closed. As a man that believes in the Bill of Rights, I think that women should be the first ones exercising their second amendment rights.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Heck yes, as long as he wasn't a criminal. Cigars are icky though.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
One of the people that were robbed at gunpoint recently was an unarmed couple who was walking to their car after the bar had closed. As a man that believes in the Bill of Rights, I think that women should be the first ones exercising their second amendment rights.
Okay. Next time I encounter one, I'll send her your way. She's all yours.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:

No facial hair
No smoking cigars
No guns

In my experience, it depends where a woman is from and her political views on gun ownership. I have female friends who love nothing more than their guns and shooting them at the range. Also have female friends and my mother who are horrified at the sight of guns.

I think a woman would understand your reasoning for carrying if you explained it to her. I personally think most who want to ban firearms have never lived in neighborhoods where gunfire is a frequent part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies