Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Are you claiming that Buddhism, Judaism or Islam condones homosexuality?
There are more religions than just those 3. And some forms of Buddhism do not condemn nor condone ANY sexual orientation as long as you are harming no one.
Quote:
"Where there is mutual consent, where adultery is not involved and where the sexual act is an expression of love, respect, loyalty and warmth, it would not be breaking the third Precept." -BuddhaNet
Some Hindu religions do not condemn nor condone ANY sexual orientation
Quote:
"...in all things connected with love, everybody should act according to the custom of his country and his own inclination." Kama Sutra IX
Sikhism does not condemn homosexuality.
Wiccans do not condemn homosexuality.

Your religion is not the only one there is.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes it is because the Scout honor is (was) built on a foundation of Christian values.

'On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep [myself] physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight,”
And to be a scout or a scout leader you do not have to be Christian. You have to believe in some higher power, but not necessarily the god of the bible.

There are Buddhist scouts, there are Hindu scouts, there are even Wiccan scouts.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Yes it is because the Scout honor is (was) built on a foundation of Christian values.

'On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep [myself] physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight,”

Evolve or die.

The boyscouts haven't been solely about Christianity for the last couple of decades. At least.

In fact, it evolved so that you had to believe in "something," regardless of it being Jehova, Jesus, Buddha or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Religion was a tangential or non-existent part of my experience in the Boy Scouts. I honestly don't remember God being discussed in any capacity, except in the oath, etc.... so much like the way "In God We Trust" on our coins means jack diddly squat these days to anyone but the most religiously afflicted, so too are the Boy Scouts not a religious organization. Those who want to find God in the scouts will do so. But some people find God in grilled cheese sandwiches, so oh well.

There ARE religiously oriented organizations very similar to the Scouts run by Churches.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM

152 posts, read 295,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
I truly wish I could help you understand my position better. I will try and I hope you help me understand yours. I want my children to be accepting of anyone who loves that and wishes to cause no harm. I feel that if I taught my children that homosexuality was something to segregate the family from, I would be unable to keep them from thinking that homosexuality is bad, or lower than heterosexuality. If they thought homosexuality was bad or lower, I think my children would not accept a homosexual as a friend and I feel that promotes intolerance. Is it blind to eschew teaching that to my children, and to think that it is probably hurtful for others to teach that homosexuality is bad?
Though I agree with your values on not segregating people based on sexuality, I also understand what these other people are saying. Making jokes as you did about identifying a certain group with uniforms signals a distinct attitude that vilifies a certain ideology which you appear to associate with said uniforms. That in and of itself is a form of prejudice and intolerance. While I am certain you do not consciously believe in this yourself, you must remember that most people truly aren't aware of their own prejudices. I've found that usually people who preach against intolerance are frequently the worst at stereotyping entire groups of people and discriminating against them. I do not ask that you apologize or feel guilty about it; simply try to be more aware of your own actions and words next time. It is easy to argue against the intolerance of groups which we sympathize with, but we must also learn to accept the other side of the spectrum if we are going to ask them to be tolerant of beliefs they do not agree with.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Good for the BSA might be too little too late but somethings better than nothing. For those who are upset and leave - it's their loss.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:01 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Maybe the NRA can start a youth scout organizatrion...they call call it the NRA buddies, or NRA juniors. Thay could teach how to start fires by rubbing sticks, pitching tents, and making ricin.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
As if Scouting and similar paramilitary groups have been totally free of gays in the past and present. Gay scouts and scout masters have been there, are there and will always be there so long as there is “scouting”.

I was rejected by the Boy Scouts for the “god” thing. I got all their books and learned the skills by myself. What I failed to teach myself was how to take orders from idiots gracefully.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Evolve or die.

The boyscouts haven't been solely about Christianity for the last couple of decades. At least.
Well, they can evolve without Christian support. I hope they find the funds elsewhere.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There are more religions than just those 3. And some forms of Buddhism do not condemn nor condone ANY sexual orientation as long as you are harming no one.
Buddhism does not prohibit, criticize, or condemn homosexuality.

Nowhere in The Dhammapada or in the entire Tripitaka is homosexuality ever mentioned. Individuals who elect to become Bikkhus (monks) volunteer to accept a precept of not having any kind of sex, heterosexual or homosexual.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Well, they can evolve without Christian support. I hope they find the funds elsewhere.

The Boyscouts are heavily funded by Mormons. The Mormons came out in favor of lifting the gay ban.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/27/us...uths.html?_r=0

Only the most horrid and oppressive Christians are so vile as to keep little Johnny out of Boyscouts because they actually deign to treat all kids equally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies