U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 PM

97 posts, read 120,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Our local girl scout troop has never been camping, none of the girls want to go. Whereas our boy scout troup has been camping at least 10 times in the last year. So I don't think your comparison is valid.

You opinion is in the minority and nothing you have said is going to convince anybody.

Nugget_Brain are you gay, are you involved in the Scout movement, are you a parent?
So because I'm in the minority, I shouldn't speak out? ALL I have done is ask questions. Questions that i haven't gotten answer to, actually.

No, I'm not gay. No, I'm not a parent. But I'm a former Girl Scout, my husband is a former Boy Scout. And I'm 'involved' in the 'movement' so far as I believe in equal rights for everyone. I don't believe in 'tolerance' or 'acceptance'. There's nothing to tolerate or accept. Love is a human experience, not a political statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM

3,558 posts, read 4,344,275 times
I doubt there were even kids not joining because they are "gay" in the first place. In 5th grade most gay kids know they are gay, but most won't make it well known until they are much older. At least that's how it's gone with my gay friends and a couple gay cousins I have. Even now that it's changed, I'm sure most kids aren't going to come out as gay because of it lol.

Most normal guys know that in middle school things can get pretty "gay" in terms of joking around, with the exception of the physical contact. Heck there would even be gay practical jokes amongst the straight gays...

If you were in high school wrestling, that was a whole other animal in terms of about the straightest "gayness" a high schooler could imagine haha.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM

2,305 posts, read 5,866,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just to be clear I'm talking about girls being members of Beavers, Cubs and Scouts, not the Girl Scouts/Guides
And just to be extra clear - why would girls join boy clubs when there are girl clubs available? And not just girl scouts, but Camp Fire Girls, etc.

Quote:
Even if all gay/bisexual girls can control themselves, the organization needs to take into consideration the feelings of the heterosexual girls and their parents. I think most heterosexual kids would feel uncomfortable sharing a tent one-on-one with a gay/bisexual kid.

Sure, the other activities they can all join in together.
I don't understand this concept. Do you think that just because a person is gay, that right before they go to sleep they have to whack off, and need another person to help them out? What does going to sleep in a tent/cabin/etc have anything to do with what your sexual preference is?

And frankly - by the time that sexuality is even a blip on a kid's mind, these scouts have probably been together as a troop for quite a while. Generally speaking, I would guess that most kids join scouts earlier (1-3rd grade or so) and if they choose to continue on - stay in their troop. I doubt many middle schoolers are looking to join scouts for the first time. Therefore, all these scouts in the same troop know each other really well. So it's not typically some strange kid coming over for a sleep over on some random camping trip. They know each other, are friends with each other, and want to be in a troop with each other. The end.

Quote:
Our local girl scout troop has never been camping, none of the girls want to go. Whereas our boy scout troup has been camping at least 10 times in the last year. So I don't think your comparison is valid.

You opinion is in the minority and nothing you have said is going to convince anybody.

Nugget_Brain are you gay, are you involved in the Scout movement, are you a parent?
How is that not valid? Just because your local GS troop hasn't camped doesn't mean most GS girls DON'T camp. There are 3 local GS camps in our area and they are used A LOT. MOST of the GS girls I know have gone camping, LOVE camping - and I know my troop of girls can't WAIT to go camping next year.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:55 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,301,376 times
My family supports full inclusion and we expressed that viewpoint in the survey that was emailed by the Scouts before the vote. We are also Christians who are really weary of fundamentalists acting like their interpretation of the Bible is the only one that counts and that they alone represent the "Christian" perspective.

As to the OP, yikes. Someone needs to be educated about the difference between being gay and being predatory/promiscuous.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 PM

8,499 posts, read 11,010,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
And just to be extra clear - why would girls join boy clubs when there are girl clubs available? And not just girl scouts, but Camp Fire Girls, etc.

Because they aren't viewed as Boy scouts anywhere but the US. It's Scouts. It's not a "boy's club", it's a young person's club.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:44 PM

16,013 posts, read 17,803,127 times
Quote:

Your girl scout troop doesn't camp? Too bad. Ours started camping when they were in kindergarten and they love it. We go at least 4 times a year. Now some camping is more *primitive* than other camping, but that is part of learning to camp.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:08 PM

482 posts, read 718,239 times
This is exactly why our country is going down the toilet. If you believe in the Bible and what it stands for, you are a racist, homophobic, hateful, bigot. It can't just be that you have a belief and stand firm in it. It has to be that if you don't change to the progressive movement, you're a bad person who doesn't love all people. Just because someone doesn't condone a behavior doesn't make them hate anyone. As far as likening sexuality to color, that is ridiculous. Sexuality is a choice, color is God-given.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 PM

3,741 posts, read 3,841,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze99 View Post
Spent many years in cub scouts...den leader, cub master etc. last year after receiving his arrow of light and crossing over my son decided on his own that he no langer wanted to be a part of an organization that did not openly include everyone. He is now talking about going back. We were proud of him for taking a stand and fully support him if he wants to rejoin. By the way I don't believe that gay kids will be a threat in the shower .. They have been there all along.
This is 100% true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Its a good thing that people don't hang on Earth forever.

These bigots will be phased out eventually
Bigots will be here forever.

Someone is not a bigot because they incorrectly think orgy's will happen at scout camp just because they let openly gay kids into the scouts. They are clearly not thinking the whole situation through.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:12 PM

3,558 posts, read 4,344,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
This is exactly why our country is going down the toilet. If you believe in the Bible and what it stands for, you are a racist, homophobic, hateful, bigot. It can't just be that you have a belief and stand firm in it. It has to be that if you don't change to the progressive movement, you're a bad person who doesn't love all people. Just because someone doesn't condone a behavior doesn't make them hate anyone. As far as likening sexuality to color, that is ridiculous. Sexuality is a choice, color is God-given.
sexuality is a choice? I don't know about you but I couldn't go have sex with another dude and enjoy it. I couldn't look at some guy in the store, look at his ass, then want to go up and grab it. Apparently you could since people "choose" it..

If you could seriously choose to be gay, then you aren't straight.. Who would "choose" to be gay? No one would ever choose that life, to be discriminated against, labeled as an outcast by many. Often turned away from their family and friends.. Get real... My great aunt was kicked out of the Navy because she was gay like 50 years ago.. Yep, I'm sure she "chose" those feelings..

When I was in 3rd grade I was always outside rollerblading. We couldn't get my 2nd grade (male) cousin to stop playing barbies with the girl cousins and come rollerblade or ride bikes with me and the other boy cousins. Do you think he was even thinking about sex back then? Nothing changed in the next 15 years and he wound up being gay..

Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 PM

8,499 posts, read 11,010,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
The ironic thing is being a closed-minded and standing in your beliefs (don't get any on your shoes) is a choice. Being homosexual isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies