Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I'm not the one who has interpreted the commercial this way. There have been comments on other sites talking about this, but I haven't seen others in this thread discuss this. Why couldn't it be that the Black father was the one at the table paying the bills while the White mother was passed out? Because, as I said, this commercial is built around existing stereotypes.

Also, that little girl was hardly clever, considering her age.
Apparently you agree with the "comments on other sites" because they are made by people who have the same mindset as you do.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:

This commercial only makes sense if we accept prevailing stereotypes about Blacks. To put it in perspective, imagine if this was an Asian family in the commercial. People wouldn't believe that a little Asian girl would be so dumb or that her father would be lying around passed out while the mother does the finances.
I'm asian and I lay around on the couch while my wife does the bills. Because I hate paying the bills and she likes it.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe the dad is tired from working all week, and the mother is a SAHM whose duties include making payments on the bills.

Actually, subconsciously, this is how it registered with me.
Some women are just better at finances and a lot of men are quite happy to let their spouse take care of the finances.

I use to take care of the finances when my husband and I both worked. And that bum would be on the sofa sleeping after having worked and going to college at night. Even now he puts in a 50/60 hour week and has the nerve to take a nap in the afternoon on his day off!!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
First off, the White mother is at the table paying bills, while the Black father is passed out on the couch in the middle of the day.
Never occurred to me that that was a stereotype. That exact scenario happens all the time in households not of mixed race - including my own, when I was married. I was the one who sat down and made out the bills and he was the one you would find more likely crashed out on the couch on a Sunday afternoon.

For all you know, that father had busted his ass all week long, maybe working a bunch of overtime, and he had just come in from spending his Saturday doing yard work, and was taking a bit of a break before going out to put new brakes on his wife's car.

Personally, I think the ones who read "stereotype" into that are the racists.

Quote:
And then they portray the mixed race daughter as being so dense that she doesn't understand that cereal is for eating. Has she never seen a person eating a bowl of cereal?
It's a freakin' cereal commercial. It's not like they are known for authenticity - if they were, we wouldn't have talking tigers promoting their product.

Again, the fact that you see a "dense" mixed race daughter in that commercial says a lot about YOU.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
It's a freakin' cereal commercial. It's not like they are known for authenticity - if they were, we wouldn't have talking tigers promoting their product.

They probably think that bears in the wild debate the merits of toilet paper.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
They probably think that bears in the wild debate the merits of toilet paper.
lol

No doubt.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Apparently you agree with the "comments on other sites" because they are made by people who have the same mindset as you do.
In a commercial, shots and sets are planned in advance. Scenes are built around preconceived notions so that the viewer has immediate understanding of what is being shown. So the mother is shown at the table with a pen in her hand and with a stack of envelopes and papers in front of her. This is paying the bills. This a long established scenario that has been done numerous times, so they expect the view to grasp this immediately.

The father passed out on the couch is also a long understood scenario. It only plays to the stereotypes because of the fact that the mother is White and the father is Black. Obviously, the makers of this commercial are well aware that they are portraying an unconventional family here, so the fact that they show a Black father asleep while the White mother is doing serious work plays into existing stereotypes. If they didn't do it intentionally then they did it subconsciously. Either way, this commercial is loaded with stereotypes.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:21 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
In a commercial, shots and sets are planned in advance. Scenes are built around preconceived notions so that the viewer has immediate understanding of what is being shown. So the mother is shown at the table with a pen in her hand and with a stack of envelopes and papers in front of her. This is paying the bills. This a long established scenario that has been done numerous times, so they expect the view to grasp this immediately.

The father passed out on the couch is also a long understood scenario. It only plays to the stereotypes because of the fact that the mother is White and the father is Black. Obviously, the makers of this commercial are well aware that they are portraying an unconventional family here, so the fact that they show a Black father asleep while the White mother is doing serious work plays into existing stereotypes. If they didn't do it intentionally then they did it subconsciously. Either way, this commercial is loaded with stereotypes.
Let's imagine that you are correct and she is paying the bills, what's the big deal? Do you honestly believe that there are no relationships where women review and pay the household expenses?

Perhaps you are suggesting that the advertisers should only portray black men in the most perfect light, i.e., depict the guy working at a professional job, mowing the lawn, helping with the housework, reading to his children, showering his wife with affection, etc?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Well they sure got your attention, didn't they? I guess I just can't be bothered trying to find something in everything I read and see, especially commercials. To be quite honest, when commercials come on that's generally the time for me to get up and do something during those 5 or 10 irritating minutes. Who the hell analyzes commercials??? Oh, wait - you do.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:43 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
exactly. white male conservatives seem to be the only ones who are whining about this.
Actually, I have seen plenty of evidence to suggest that this would tee off some black women as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies