U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 04:27 PM

17,611 posts, read 18,945,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Here you are posting in a thread about a commercial and you've posted way more than I have. The fact that you can't comprehend the irony of your comments says much about you. And its no deficit of mine that I'm an analytic person. That you think otherwise is your problem.
Actually, the fact that you interpreted/characterized the imagery of a Black man on a sofa as "passed out", the biracial child as "dense" and the White woman as "paying bills" speaks volumes about YOUR own racial prejudices and agenda in this thread.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:29 PM

32,533 posts, read 30,482,878 times
Quote:
In a commercial, shots and sets are planned in advance. Scenes are built around preconceived notions so that the viewer has immediate understanding of what is being shown. So the mother is shown at the table with a pen in her hand and with a stack of envelopes and papers in front of her. This is paying the bills. This a long established scenario that has been done numerous times, so they expect the view to grasp this immediately.

The father passed out on the couch is also a long understood scenario. It only plays to the stereotypes because of the fact that the mother is White and the father is Black. Obviously, the makers of this commercial are well aware that they are portraying an unconventional family here, so the fact that they show a Black father asleep while the White mother is doing serious work plays into existing stereotypes. If they didn't do it intentionally then they did it subconsciously. Either way, this commercial is loaded with stereotypes.
Wait a minute! Wait just a cotton pickin' minute.

Commercials are made by Hollywood just the same as all those commie movies with all those leftist actors like Sean Penn. And George Clooney. You know all those people who probably have rainbow flags flying from their big Hollywood Hills mansions which are full of illegal alien maids.

You mean to tell us that Hollywood, the same group of lefties who kiss up to President Obama, heck, we all know they got him elected because have YOU see his college transcripts ? made a commercial stereotyping the Black man?

Dang, I knew they were a bunch of fake-o's. Typical Hollywood weirdo's. They have this big ol' opportunity to make the Black man a professor and make the wife a lawyer or something and they don't even do that. Hollyweird made a commercial using stereotypes. Well, shee-ooot they must be slipping because everyone knows "those people" don't even pay their bills they just go down to the welfare office with their hand out.

Hollywood must be getting infiltrated.

Wait. I figured it out. This Cheerios stuff is made out of oats, right? So that little girl (who probably isn't even half black she's probably got a wig on that they bought at the mall) musta spelled out something with those Cheerios. Something like "End Farm Subsidies Now!"

Did you look real close? I'll bet she spelled out something nasty.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,104,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Great post. Quoted for truth.

I have a LOT of stories that I could share but the most recent one happened only a few months ago. I had a small group of new hires that were going through orientation: one Black man, one White man and two Hispanic women. After the orientation session, I open it up for a Q&A. Everyone else asks questions regarding HR related issues (vision plan, vacation accrual, etc., etc.) So the Black man asks a question about adding another person onto his health plan but ends the question with the statement..."my girlfriend is White". The statement was completely irrelevant to the question and I waited for him to add another comment to somehow make the statement relevant, but that was all that he had to add. I still find it puzzling.
lol. I would have given him an Issa Rae face and said, "O-Kay". or busted up laughing.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:04 PM

32,543 posts, read 13,724,753 times
The commercial was very funny of you watched it, I didn't even notice it was a mixed race family, some people have toooo much time on their hands.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
So do black women as well, the foolishness is not limited to black men. Many non-whites, not just black people, are more proud of having white mates more than white people themselves. It is the ultimate prize for many non-white men and women, because sadly many non-whites have bought into concepts of white supremacy more than whites have. This is why many non-whites have worse opinions of blacks than white people do, the people who taught them this crap!
yes, there are bw like that too. the biggest issue I have with SOME ir bw is that they act like their biracial kids are some whole other species and I've had many act funny with me about play dates and the like when my kids were little, but they seemed to be more open to their kids playing with white children.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Today I saw an ad on TV that featured an Asian guy with a black lady and their jive-speaking mixed baby.

I don't remember what the ad was for but the mixed-race couple reminded me of this thread, LoL.

And if I'm not mistaken, Asian male/Black female couples are the most rarely sighted.
the Asian guy is the agent in the commercial, not the dad.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Some people are getting mad at the propagandizing for interracial relationships in the the commercial, but I haven't seen many addressing the fact that the commercial is built around negative stereotypes about Black people. First off, the White mother is at the table paying bills, while the Black father is passed out on the couch in the middle of the day. And then they portray the mixed race daughter as being so dense that she doesn't understand that cereal is for eating. Has she never seen a person eating a bowl of cereal?

This commercial only makes sense if we accept prevailing stereotypes about Blacks. To put it in perspective, imagine if this was an Asian family in the commercial. People wouldn't believe that a little Asian girl would be so dumb or that her father would be lying around passed out while the mother does the finances.
I actually lol'd at this comment, because you are right about the daughter not understanding that cereal is for eating. she is a little too old to not get that. but, again, I found the commercial to be pretty corny. most commercials are corny and insult the intelligence of the viewer in some way.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM

44,179 posts, read 35,709,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually, the fact that you interpreted/characterized the imagery of a Black man on a sofa as "passed out", the biracial child as "dense" and the White woman as "paying bills" speaks volumes about YOUR own racial prejudices and agenda in this thread.
I have to agree with this!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 PM

47,352 posts, read 45,124,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have to agree with this!
I think the outrage shows that there are still some people who look down on interracial families. This kind of outrage is quite sad.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 PM

667 posts, read 825,308 times
How about they just make the commercial and quit trying to kiss a**es?

The actors in it should be their choice...not YOURS!

Everytime I see a 'doctored' commercial to appeal to the far left whackos and win Obama marathons...I promise myself I won't be buying any.

Just another 'sellout' company to big Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies