Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,966,932 times

Advertisements

Today I saw an ad on TV that featured an Asian guy with a black lady and their jive-speaking mixed baby.

I don't remember what the ad was for but the mixed-race couple reminded me of this thread, LoL.

And if I'm not mistaken, Asian male/Black female couples are the most rarely sighted.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:40 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,114,553 times
I saw the commercial. I thought it was kind of cute. I had nothing bad to say about it.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:41 PM

937 posts, read 1,130,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Great post. Quoted for truth.

I have a LOT of stories that I could share but the most recent one happened only a few months ago. I had a small group of new hires that were going through orientation: one Black man, one White man and two Hispanic women. After the orientation session, I open it up for a Q&A. Everyone else asks questions regarding HR related issues (vision plan, vacation accrual, etc., etc.) So the Black man asks a question about adding another person onto his health plan but ends the question with the statement..."my girlfriend is White". The statement was completely irrelevant to the question and I waited for him to add another comment to somehow make the statement relevant, but that was all that he had to add. I still find it puzzling.
His statement was highly inappropriate but I have found that a few black men actually seek out and welcome acknowledgment if they are dating inter-racially. I'm not really certain why some people do this. Relationships should be about love and spending quality time with your special someone. It really shouldn't matter what other people think. The only opinion that should be important is how you and your partner feel about each other.

Anyhow, I'm sure you informed him that healthcare plans only cover spouses and dependents, not girlfriends or boyfriends.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 PM

937 posts, read 1,130,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
i'm going to let you in on a little secret. that is a fantasy that some (NOT ALL) black men who date out want people to believe. some of them will go to ridiculous heights to try to be seen by black women with their girls or biracial children. here in Virginia, most black men are with black women. it is rare to see an ir couple, especially in predominantly black areas. black women are not worried about getting dates out here.
shhhhhh Don't let the secret out of the bag!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,159,753 times
Some people are getting mad at the propagandizing for interracial relationships in the the commercial, but I haven't seen many addressing the fact that the commercial is built around negative stereotypes about Black people. First off, the White mother is at the table paying bills, while the Black father is passed out on the couch in the middle of the day. And then they portray the mixed race daughter as being so dense that she doesn't understand that cereal is for eating. Has she never seen a person eating a bowl of cereal?

This commercial only makes sense if we accept prevailing stereotypes about Blacks. To put it in perspective, imagine if this was an Asian family in the commercial. People wouldn't believe that a little Asian girl would be so dumb or that her father would be lying around passed out while the mother does the finances.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,753,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Some people are getting mad at the propagandizing for interracial relationships in the the commercial, but I haven't seen many addressing the fact that the commercial is built around negative stereotypes about Black people. First off, the White mother is at the table paying bills, while the Black father is passed out on the couch in the middle of the day. And then they portray the mixed race daughter as being so dense that she doesn't understand that cereal is for eating. Has she never seen a person eating a bowl of cereal?

This commercial only makes sense if we accept prevailing stereotypes about Blacks. To put it in perspective, imagine if this was an Asian family in the commercial. People wouldn't believe that a little Asian girl would be so dumb or that her father would be lying around passed out while the mother does the finances.
How do you know that the mother was paying bills?
The father was "passed out"? Can you elaborate as to why? Any chance he was taking a nap?
You actually know what time of day it was?
Tell me, was it a weekday or a weekend?
The child was asking about the nutrition value of the cereal.

I won't call you a racist, because I'm sure your not (), you just have a low opinion of black people, right?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,442,745 times
Quote:

Only a person who already has preconceived negative racial opinions would interpret the commercial in this manner. To the non-racist, the Black father was simply taking a nap and the clever child was being proactive (in a 4 yr old's way) to help the father remain healthy.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,159,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Only a person who already has preconceived negative racial opinions would interpret the commercial in this manner. To the non-racist, the Black father was simply taking a nap and the clever child was being proactive (in a 4 yr old's way) to help the father remain healthy.
I'm not the one who has interpreted the commercial this way. There have been comments on other sites talking about this, but I haven't seen others in this thread discuss this. Why couldn't it be that the Black father was the one at the table paying the bills while the White mother was passed out? Because, as I said, this commercial is built around existing stereotypes.

Also, that little girl was hardly clever, considering her age.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,442,745 times
Quote:
I'm not the one who has interpreted the commercial this way. There have been comments on other sites talking about this, but I haven't seen others in this thread discuss this. Why couldn't it be that the Black father was the one at the table paying the bills while the White mother was passed out? Because, as I said, this commercial is built around existing stereotypes.

Seriously, some people just have way too much time on their hands.

There is nothing strange, offensive or controversial about a commercial featuring a mom, a dad and a child. Why are people trying to manufacture outrage? The only stereotypes that I see spewing forth from the usual pot stirrers.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:33 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:

Maybe the dad is tired from working all week, and the mother is a SAHM whose duties include making payments on the bills.

Actually, subconsciously, this is how it registered with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies