U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,975,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would be mad too having my flag attached to **** water beer, but in reality this is a bit too much over the top reaction.
Too bad not everyone is affluent enough to afford the "good stuff".

I don't drink Coors, but I have no doubt that you be all uppity and disparage my brew as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM

92 posts, read 45,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble.

Puerto Rico considers itself a nation. Unlike Texas.
Actually Puerto Rico is loosely an American State. Not officially but close enough. PR has its own senators and representatives believe it or not, but their political power is very limited because they're not a state officially (yet.)

The only reason PR hasn't been granted state hood is because the Republicans have to approve it, but they won't approve state hood for PR because PR's over whelmingly vote Democrat and that would give Dems more congressional seats. All of this despite Puerto Ricans voting last election cycle 51% to 49% for American Statehood.

PR Statehood will likely sit idle until Republicans agree to it.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,025,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Puerto Ricans Outraged At Island's Flag On Coors Light Cans ..accused of disrespecting flag
Wah.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:55 PM

10,480 posts, read 6,179,345 times
From reading the link I got the impression that the 'outrage' (which, of course, it isn't; just a couple of people cited) was over Coors claiming, without any justification, to be the 'official beer' of Puerto Rico. I imagine that there are locally brewed beers that object to that.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 PM

10,136 posts, read 6,465,776 times
It is impossible for anyone to do anything this day and time without one group or another getting offended. Too bad.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:02 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,169,019 times
I don't blame them Coor's Beer sucks!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:07 PM

327 posts, read 271,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
Actually Puerto Rico is loosely an American State. Not officially but close enough. PR has its own senators and representatives believe it or not, but their political power is very limited because they're not a state officially (yet.)

The only reason PR hasn't been granted state hood is because the Republicans have to approve it, but they won't approve state hood for PR because PR's over whelmingly vote Democrat and that would give Dems more congressional seats. All of this despite Puerto Ricans voting last election cycle 51% to 49% for American Statehood.

PR Statehood will likely sit idle until Republicans agree to it.
Close enough does not = state.

They act more like a country than state. They even represent themselves as a country in the Olympics.

Sources
1. Constitution of PR: CONSTITUCION DEL ESTADO LIBRE ASOCIADO DE PUERTO RICO
2. National olympic team: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics…
3. Puerto Rican citizenship: Home

Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,964,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Geraldo was upset about it on his radio show today. He liked it to putting a picture of Dr. Martin Luther King on a bucket of Fried Chicken.

That seemed a little overboard to me. The Fried Chicken would be a crude racial stereotype.

I have never associated Puerto Ricans with excessive beer drinking. The Germans have that stereotypical distinction.

Much gnashing of teeth over an innocent marketing promotion. Good luck getting corporate sponsorship next year.

I'm sure Coors went out of it's way to pay money for the sponsorship and then intentionally insult it's target audience.
Agreed and us "Irish" have the rep of liking our whiskey too much, more than ANY kind of "Hispanic" person.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM

46,054 posts, read 29,439,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Too bad not everyone is affluent enough to afford the "good stuff".

I don't drink Coors, but I have no doubt that you be all uppity and disparage my brew as well.
"Good stuff" doesn't have to be expensive.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,718,934 times
Seems someone is always offended by something now days ;mostly much to do about nothing :IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or