Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:57 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Tax rates went up on income including an increase in payroll taxes. How does it help the poor to punish the 1% who are typically job creators?

I'm just curious how raising taxes is helping you?
First of all, the upper 1% are NOT "typically job creators." According to the Commerce Department, Anerican based gobal corporations added 2.4 million workers abroad in the first decade of this century while cutting their American workforce by 2.9 million.

As far as individuals go, the rich already have all the mansions and jewelry and whatever else they want already. Repealing their tax rate is NOT going to cause them to run out to the GAP and buy a bunch of new outfits. It's the spending of the MIDDLE CLASS which keeps the economy going, and the middle class is getting more hardship placed on it with the passing of each day.

Second, taxes are not a "punishment." Taxes are what people pay to live in a civilized society. Republicans HATE the idea of a civilized society or the common good, and they ESPECIALLY hate the social contract. They ignore the fact that their taxes and everyone else's go to things like paved roads and repairing bridges (infrastructure); the education of the Nation's children - our country's greatest treasure; police and fire protection - the list is endless.

Those who rose from rags to riches couldn't have done it without an educated workforce to build their widgets, roads for their trucks to use to distribute widgets all over the country, etc. Paying taxes is an act of enlightened self interest - not "punishment" or "slavery" as many on this board contend.

The gap between the rich and the rest of us in the US today is outrageous. Low income Americans will benefit from schools, medical care, police protect, etc.etc. which will be paid for through a tax system which includes the wealthy coughing up their fair share.

You want a plutocracy. I think those who are so eager to grovel before wealth have lost the ability to think for themselves and look around this nation with clear eyes. I am an American - a citizen of the United States. I am not required to grovel before anyone or play the role of syncophant for obscene wealth. No one else in this country is required to grovel either. The wealthy need to pay their fair share. You can lick their boots if you choose to. I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 01:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Tax rates went up on income including an increase in payroll taxes. How does it help the poor to punish the 1% who are typically job creators?

What increase?
Payroll taxes were restored to their immediate prior level once the temporary reduction was lifted.

Dear America: Your Higher Payroll Taxes Are Not The Result Of A Tax Increase - Forbes#

Old 05-31-2013, 01:02 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What increase?
Payroll taxes were restored to their immediate prior level once the temporary reduction was lifted.

Dear America: Your Higher Payroll Taxes Are Not The Result Of A Tax Increase - Forbes#
same difference really. the net effect after Obama said your taxes would not go up one dime is

"YOUR PAYCHECK IS SMALLER" lol

Suck it up!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default How does it help the poor to punish the 1%?

Quote:
What punishment are America's hard-pressed millionaires/billionaires suffering?

Related...

Q: what do you call a millionaire after he's paid his taxes?

A: a millionaire.

Quote:

See: GOP talking points re: deficit reduction.

Your boys were claiming the deficit was the greatest threat to national security a short while back.

Maybe they've found a new bogeyman.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What punishment are America's hard-pressed millionaires/billionaires suffering?

uh hum, people who make $200K are millionaires. how about that kid just coming up.

Liberals and Democrats are so envious and wish they were them. And Oh... "YOUR PAYCHECK IS SMALLER" :-) I'm happy for you since it is what you wanted :-)

Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default How does it help the poor to punish the 1%?

Quote:
uh hum, people who make $200K are millionaires. how about that kid just coming up.

Liberals and Democrats are so envious and wish they were them. And Oh... "YOUR PAYCHECK IS SMALLER" :-) I'm happy for you since it is what you wanted :-)

Thread title specifically mentions the 1%, which would not include those making $200K/year.

Stop moving the goalposts.

Besides, those with $200K annual income could scrape by with a few more bucks/week going to help their country out of the Bush depression/deficit hole. Might mean waiting on that new Mercedes, though.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:24 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Default Be You Own Boss

Work for someone for 25 years, save your money.

When you have enough saved, go purchase one each of these.
This will be your over the road vehicle and your home for at least 6 days a week.
Out of the revenue you earn with this rig, you will pay your rent payment for your abode, vehicle insurances, fuel, and maintenance, taxes, self employment taxes and insurance. Many companies that hire you as a private contractor {lessee} will give you the necessary interstate and intrastate operating authorities and permits. Your cut, or take home pay after all expenses are paid will be approximately $1,200 to $2,300 per month, depending on what the runs pay, and depending on how many miles you're willing to drive.

This will be your smaller expediter vehicle, some can fit up to 3 skids into the cargo area. This one is a shorty, 2 skids.

In this unit, you can run all 49 states and Canada and operate off of the lessor's permits and authority.
You'll operate this as a lessee too, and will need to hire a driver and pay him or her 30% to 35% of the gross revenues generated from the services provided/invoiced to the lessor.
You will pay all expenses, maintenance, taxes, and employment taxes for your vehicle and driver.
Your gross revenue from this venture will be approximately $700 monthly, after expenses are paid.

Most expedited cargo drivers log between 125,000 to 150,000 miles a year, some drive more than that.
I have operated as a team driver before, one sleeps, one drives, and you're constantly moving, non stop.

When you end the week, you park the rigs on the street, or you can rent a garage to keep them in.

I did this for 10 years and lived quite comfortably, and had very little if any overhead. I retired in 2004. PS, I did not need to borrow money to do this either.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times
Quote:
But you want a job from them don't you unless of course you are one of those welfare lazy.

Nope, oh wise (A$$) one, I'm retired.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM

304 posts, read 472,095 times
Forbes Mag. recently put Jeff Bezos daily net gain at 222 million. So how is it punishing him to require 39% of that to help pay for our large military, which require several billion per day to operate? He would still have 136 million per day to play with and of course if he continues to expand as he has the last few years then he might end up paying no tax at all.
The super rich have all kinds of loopholes. On the other hand, those of us who make regular incomes cannot possibly pay for airports and other infrastructure that the 1% ers use a 100 times more than we do. Their kind of income is like winning a big super lottery every day.
Amazon and Walmart and yes Berkshire do employ a lot of people but they also cause a lot of other people to lose their jobs so it takes the government to help smooth out the disparities.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times
Quote:
Yep and Obama attacked those small business and then liberals cry because of the fallout.

How? Did he contract credit after promising to do otherwise?

Nope, it was the big banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies