U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM

20,618 posts, read 16,666,728 times

Advertisements

OMG, I wish you guys would check out the site, there is nothing harmful on there at all IMO. There is even a section under sex that's entitled "Why it makes sense to wait". I feel like people are assuming it's some kind of sex lessons when it's nothing more than they get from a textbook, and frankly a whole lot LESS than they see on TV or read in magazines. Home | girlshealth.gov

Old 06-02-2013, 04:20 PM

4,839 posts, read 3,568,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OMG, I wish you guys would check out the site, there is nothing harmful on there at all IMO. There is even a section under sex that's entitled "Why it makes sense to wait". I feel like people are assuming it's some kind of sex lessons when it's nothing more than they get from a textbook, and frankly a whole lot LESS than they see on TV or read in magazines. Home | girlshealth.gov
That's what I'm saying. I don't think any of these people who are up in arms about it even checked it out, they're just taking the words of the OP who totally exaggerated what that website even is which makes me assume the OP didn't even look at the site. And I predict they STILL won't look at it & completely ignore all the people who have put up links to it such as yourself.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,055,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
What exactly did you tell her about that website? Did you go on the website?
My prediction? He/she told her "there's a website where they TEACH CHILDREN how to have sex! It's super graphic, and everything!!" I'd bet money they didn't even bother to look, just went with the faux hysteria presented by the OP (as usual).

To be honest, I'd be shocked too if that were the reality - but it's not, and I think even the OP knows that.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Btw, thanks to "the mask" for informing me of this terrific resource... it might already be on our (library's) website, but it not I will suggest it for the Teen/Tween page.

P.S. I fail to see where "the left" sponsored this site, and I also fail to see anything specifying an age group. It's a nicely laid-out resource for girls' health issues, with a huge number of informative topics and articles. They cover everything from asthma to skin care, and even have a section on why waiting (for sex) is a good thing. What's the problem? If you think it's inappropriate for YOUR child, don't have YOUR child read it. Oh, I guess lazy parenting is your issue?

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-02-2013 at 04:51 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 04:45 PM

3,846 posts, read 1,964,100 times
Shouldn't Department of Health and Human Services be more interested in Genetically Modified Food Products than Mutual Masturbation?

Isn't there any concern at all that, in combination, this might evolve to Mutant Masturbation?

Last edited by Nonarchist; 06-02-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Shouldn't Department of Health and Human Services be more interested in Genetically Modified Food Products than Mutual Masturbation?

Isn't their any concern at all that, in combination, this might evolve to Mutant Masturbation?
Yikes... thank you for the very odd visual. Remember that discussion yesterday on involuntary thoughts? Just had one!

(and you don't want me to describe it, lol)

Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 3,742,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have a couple of questions for you: 1-where are you getting the information about most countries introducing sex education in the schools or via the government at an early age? What age? and 2-isn't there a difference between basic sex education and subjects that really need to be discussed within a family unit? I was telling my granddaughter about this website today; she, at 27,was also appalled.
1) If you were even remotely familiar with the issue you are pontificating about, you would know that comprehensive sex education, starting in the early grades, has been standard practice in a number of European countries for decades. There have been hundreds of books and thousands of scholarly articles written about this subject. Do a Google search, and focus in particular on France, Germany and the Netherlands. The fact you are unaware of this is just astonishing!

2) The trouble is, too many "family units" don't teach their kids anything about sex. Others feed kids incomplete or inaccurate information. When kids are ignorant about sex, that has a negative impact on the whole society, not just on them or their families. We cannot trust families to do the job on their own, becuase too many fail to do it.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 PM

20,618 posts, read 16,666,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
1) If you were even remotely familiar with the issue you are pontificating about, you would know that comprehensive sex education, starting in the early grades, has been standard practice in a number of European countries for decades. There have been hundreds of books and thousands of scholarly articles written about this subject. Do a Google search, and focus in particular on France, Germany and the Netherlands. The fact you are unaware of this is just astonishing!

2) The trouble is, too many "family units" don't teach their kids anything about sex. Others feed kids incomplete or inaccurate information. When kids are ignorant about sex, that has a negative impact on the whole society, not just on them or their families. We cannot trust families to do the job on their own, because too many fail to do it.
My Mom gave me a book, from World Book Encyclopedia, on reproduction and sex, that's how I learned about it. We never discussed it. That was still better than the misinformation I had received from other kids well before then. That's the thing, it's not like kids are unaware of sex before we teach them, they are curious about it and if left uninformed will have only wrong information. I wish this website had been around for me back then.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-02-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,265,226 times
Quote:
1) The trouble is, too many "family units" don't teach their kids anything about sex. Others feed kids incomplete or inaccurate information. When kids are ignorant about sex, that has a negative impact on the whole society, not just on them or their families. We cannot trust families to do the job on their own, becuase too many fail to do it.
^ ^ This

Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,556,082 times
Quote:

2) The trouble is, too many "family units" don't teach their kids anything about sex. Others feed kids incomplete or inaccurate information. When kids are ignorant about sex, that has a negative impact on the whole society, not just on them or their families. We cannot trust families to do the job on their own, becuase too many fail to do it.
Scratch out "It takes a village" and replace it with "it takes a government"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies