U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 AM

78 posts, read 44,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you haven't talked to your children about sex by 10 - and certainly by 16 - you have well missed the boat and they are learning it from somewhere else. I'd hope you'd want your child to learn facts rather than some of the things that I heard well over a decade ago - like that you could prevent pregnancy by having sex in a pool, that you could get pregnant via mutual masturbation, and a lot of half truths about birth control.

Girls in my school were pregnant at 12, 13, and certainly 14-16. My parents were so horrified by the failure of abstinence only education in my school system that they kept a box of condoms in a drawer and told my brother and I that they hoped we would talk to them, but if not, they were there - and encouraged us to bring them to friends whose parents had NOT explained the proper usage of birth control with them (because they were going to have sex anyway).

If you're not talking to your kids, then your kid is going to be the one who thinks doubling up on condoms is somehow a good idea. Hopefully they will have a friend like 16 year old me who actually knew the answers and was comfortable filling in the gaps left by abstinence-only education and **** poor parenting. And yes, some 10 year olds DO surf government websites for details. I certainly was one of them.

So you want to talk to a 3rd grader about sex?

When they aren't even interested in boys yet?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 AM

78 posts, read 44,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because at 10 years old, they are likely already being propositioned by other 10-13 year olds. Especially if they developed early (I speak from experience - had a C cup in 5th grade).

Kids are getting pregnant at 12 and 13 by other kids their age. Someone needs to be talking to them.

A very small minority are pregnant at 12.

You act like 80% of 12-year olds are pregnant. The reason it makes the news is because it is strange. If it were normal, it's not news.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM

40,154 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua84 View Post

YES.

Many girls begin to develop sexually during the 4th Grade. And begin buying bras. Discussing what changes will happen, what it means to them is important. 8-year olds should have some information. And by 10 years old, should be prepared for menstruation and be mature enough to handle information about birth control, homosexuality, and masturbation. Which is what the HHS website does. It's designed for girls, aged 10 to 16, to give them information about sex.

Menstruation does begin for many girls as early as 10 years old. And the trend in the United States has been for menstruation to begin starting earlier and earlier. So, yes, this information needs to be available to girls as early as 8 years old. It can be quite traumatizing for a girl to start her period and not know what is happening.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,116,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
For destroying the morals of our children.

Its sickening to see what the progressive left have done to the moral fiber of our society.

HHS Website For Girls, 10 to 16, Informs Youth About Birth Control, Gay Sex,
That is the problem, our government thinks it is now their duty is to intrude into our bedrooms and and even our children's bedroom.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,116,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
YES.

Many girls begin to develop sexually during the 4th Grade. And begin buying bras. Discussing what changes will happen, what it means to them is important. 8-year olds should have some information. And by 10 years old, should be prepared for menstruation and be mature enough to handle information about birth control, homosexuality, and masturbation. Which is what the HHS website does. It's designed for girls, aged 10 to 16, to give them information about sex.

Menstruation does begin for many girls as early as 10 years old. And the trend in the United States has been for menstruation to begin starting earlier and earlier. So, yes, this information needs to be available to girls as early as 8 years old. It can be quite traumatizing for a girl to start her period and not know what is happening.
So go ahead and do that with your kids, but don't empower government to do that with everyone else's children.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 AM

4,839 posts, read 3,568,829 times
Quote:

I was interested in boys in third grade. I'm not kidding either. I suppose that makes me a big ole sl*t now, eh?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,352,440 times
Quote:

what do you mean they are not interested in boys yet? I was interested in boys since Kindergarten. Had a crush on a boy in my Aikido class when I was in 3rd grade.

oh and I knew about sex since I was 6 years old.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM

9,832 posts, read 5,851,547 times
I'm sure glad my kids are all grown and I don't have to deal with all this crap

Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM

5,313 posts, read 7,578,476 times
I do believe in teaching kids sex Ed but do not think its the government's responsibility. It's my job to teach my own kids about that and birth control and let them know they can and should come to me when they feel its necessary to obtain it.

I got lucky. They did exactly as I instructed them to do.

This is a family responsibility and parents have to have these conversations with their kids. It's just as important as anything else you teach them.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,352,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I do believe in teaching kids sex Ed but do not think its the government's responsibility. It's my job to teach my own kids about that and birth control and let them know they can and should come to me when they feel its necessary to obtain it.
Yes its your job. But there are hundreds of other parents who do nothing to teach their kids anything about sex,

Or are too entrenched in their religious dogma, that sex education and birth control cannot be discussed.

so for every one of you there are hundreds who do not do the same as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies