Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:38 PM

72,992 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
Why didn't northerners want them? Why didn't they welcome them? there MUST be some reasons...rampant criminality perhaps?

....so they should have been given free housing in the best neighborhoods and they wouldn't be so criminally inclined today.is that it? Those northern racists! How dare they not give blacks whatever they want!...it's an outrage!
Why were Blacks all over the country not treated well? How did Blacks get into the USA in the first place?

And you aren't getting my point. The way the projects were built, they isolated people, and then the father was displaced from the home in many ways, particularly by the way welfare was designed. In the 1970s, the out of wedlock birth rates rose, for everyone, especially for the poor Black population. Jobs in the cities dried up as well. Blacks who got out of the ghetto went to the suburbs to live better lives, and it was those who had the most education who were able to leave.
In fact, I posted excerpts of Thomas Sowell's literature explaining what has happened within the Black population, particularly the poor Black population. I don't think you've read it.

Something else to consider. Drugs also got into the projects as well.

And another factor: Single men. Among the poor Black population, high rate of single men, and a low rate of marriage. Poor, single men who weren't raised properly, in the inner city, where drugs are there. More opportunities for crime. Alot of married men with families won't commit crime because they have something to lose. Single men with no families often feel they have nothing to lose, so committing crime is consider no problem. That is what happened when Italians immigrated to the USA. There were alot of single men, and because single men had nothing to lose, there was a higher likelihood to commit crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Unfortunately, taking away the projects and moving people into new areas has just spread the crime all over. So isolation wasn't the problem. Here's a great article about Memphis's attempt to close the projects and move people to nicer parts of the city for a new life. The results were a disaster and destroyed many middle class neighborhoods.

American Murder Mystery - Hanna Rosin - The Atlantic
The projects actually allowed for the crime to incubate. This kind of generational living, well, it incubated. Isolation played a part. Not the whole part, but a part.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:43 PM

370 posts, read 247,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why were Blacks all over the country not treated well? How did Blacks get into the USA in the first place?

And you aren't getting my point. The way the projects were built, they isolated people, and then the father was displaced from the home in many ways. In the 1970s, the out of wedlock birth rates rose, for everyone, especially for the poor Black population. Jobs in the cities dried up as well.

Something else to consider. Drugs also got into the projects as well.
Blacks got here because their fellow countrymen in africa captured them and kept the best as their own slaves and sold the slower, stupider ones to foreigners.

Africa is an interesting continent..they still practice slavery there..LMAO..and they still burn witches....very advanced people they are....

Old 06-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Blacks got here because their fellow countrymen in africa captured them and kept the best as their own slaves and sold the slower, stupider ones to foreigners.

Africa is an interesting continent..they still practice slavery there..LMAO..and they still burn witches....very advanced people they are....
So it can be surmised that Black people didn't come here by choice, but by force. And to say "their countrymen" shows the level of ignorance that you have. There are over 400 ethnic groups in the African continent. There are different ethnic groups, such as the Fulani, Mandinka, Dinka, Arabs, Berbers, Twi, Akan, Ashanti, Kikuyu, Luo, Shona, Zulu, Xhosa, Venda, Hutu, Afar, Wolof, and many other peoples. Most Black people don't even know what ethnic group they came from in Africa, so you are not to say "their countrymen captured them". There were alot of inter-ethnic wars, so you don't know who sold who.

And alot of slaves were captured by Europeans as well. Digital History

And I would be very careful. Your last sentence tells me you have problems with Black people. Why else would you make such comments?

Old 06-01-2013, 03:00 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
Quote:
The projects actually allowed for the crime to incubate. This kind of generational living, well, it incubated. Isolation played a part. Not the whole part, but a part.
So when they spread the people all around the city, why didn't the crime get better? Instead, it got worse as lots of innocent people got caught up in its wake. If you read the article I posted, as they spread into the middle class parts of town, the gangs started targeting smart kids with no records and trying to force them into the gangs as the front men. Because the police would go easier on them when caught. Kids who were just trying to get to college were being beaten and forced into gangs.

The projects weren't the problem. If the problem had been the buildings or the concentration of poor, moving the people out to different parts of town would have solved the problem. But the people took the same culture with them and forced it onto the new areas.

The article mentions Girl Scouts being robbed by thugs at the library. These innocent middle class families weren't even safe at the library once the housing project people were brought into their area.

You should really read the article I posted. It's written by liberals who talk about how this is an uncomfortably subject so people try to ignore it. The culture and mentality has to be changed, and I don't think that can happen until the black community as a whole decides to really get serious about it.
Middle class blacks were affected by the closing of the housing projects just as much as middle class whites. Everyone has a stake in condemning and ending the drugs/violence/dependence culture.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
So when they spread the people all around the city, why didn't the crime get better? Instead, it got worse as lots of innocent people got caught up in its wake. If you read the article I posted, as they spread into the middle class parts of town, the gangs started targeting smart kids with no records and trying to force them into the gangs as the front men. Because the police would go easier on them when caught. Kids who were just trying to get to college were being beaten and forced into gangs.

The projects weren't the problem. If the problem had been the buildings or the concentration of poor, moving the people out to different parts of town would have solved the problem. But the people took the same culture with them and forced it onto the new areas.

The article mentions Girl Scouts being robbed by thugs at the library. These innocent middle class families weren't even safe at the library once the housing project people were brought into their area.

You should really read the article I posted. It's written by liberals who talk about how this is an uncomfortably subject so people try to ignore it. The culture and mentality has to be changed, and I don't think that can happen until the black community as a whole decides to really get serious about it.
Middle class blacks were affected by the closing of the housing projects just as much as middle class whites. Everyone has a stake in condemning and ending the drugs/violence/dependence culture.
The crime did not get better because this behavior had been incubated for so long. Consider the housing projects of Chicago. The criminals who were in the projects kept committing crime unchecked. When the housing projects were destroyed, all it did was spread crime elsewhere, because these issues were never addressed. And consider other things. Very rarely were criminal records checked.

My point is this. I never said there weren't problems going on among low-income Blacks. However, I was saying that all the housing projects really did was incubate those problems.

And consider this. Whenever Black people address such problems, there are many within the underclass who say "you act white" or "you uncle...". As Chris Rock mentioned, alot of Blacks just voted with their feet and left the ghettos and try to get away from such surroundings.

A better question to think about is this. Which segment of the Black population do these issues exist the most?

Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,671 times
That's easy, Gunther! The truth is offensive to some! LOL. So any BS excuse to downplay it is ok in this screwed up PC world we live in!

Quote:
If a person kills someone...or commits any violent crime, it doesn't matter where he lives...where he's from...what his education is...his income or any other marxist doubletalk excuses.

Once the person commits the crime, all that is irrelevant. He's now a criminal.

The facts are that "black" people commit OVER HALF of ALL violent crime in america despite only being 13% of the population.
Why are you so intent on making excuses for criminals?

Old 06-01-2013, 05:55 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
My intent wasn't to make any excuses. My intent was to show you that most of the crimes committed by Blacks are not committed by regular Joe or the average Black person. The average Black criminal is most likely someone from the ghetto, raised in a single parent home(often with no father there), poorly educated, involved with drugs, not raised properly, or falls in with criminals. That was my point. Statistics are only a generalization. They do not tell the whole story. Of course, your intent is to say "Blacks are a problem population".

If you adjusted for so many factors, you would get totally different results as far as crime is concerned. My question is "WHO in the Black community is committing the crimes"? You don't ask that because your agenda is basically "Avoid Black people". I can smell it a mile away. Your "that's Marxist doubletalk" is merely an excuse to deflect from my argument because it doesn't fit your agenda. Have I once denied the crime rate? No. I was asking you to look at those statistics much more closely.
i think maybe you take it too personal and should not. You didn't do it... I get flack all the time because i am hard pro gun and hard CONS, and not very bright liberals and democrat gun grabbers tend to blame me for having guns.

I let that BS slide off like water on a ducks back. You should too. Well at least that's what i think you should do. I don't think all blacks are criminals as i have a few black friends and a couple married into the family.

It is curious that the percents are so off... But this isn't you, or about you, but it is about the race you come from. There is no more need for you to defend the whole race than there is for me to defend common white trash. Be well guy..

Old 06-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
i think maybe you take it too personal and should not. You didn't do it... I get flack all the time because i am hard pro gun and hard CONS, and not very bright liberals and democrat gun grabbers tend to blame me for having guns.

I let that BS slide off like water on a ducks back. You should too. Well at least that's what i think you should do. I don't think all blacks are criminals as i have a few black friends and a couple married into the family.

It is curious that the percents are so off... But this isn't you, or about you, but it is about the race you come from. There is no more need for you to defend the whole race than there is for me to defend common white trash. Be well guy..
I felt like said person was making alot of comments basically out of his own resentment towards Blacks. I felt like it was important to show that there is more to statistics than meets the eye. It might not be about me on the surface. However, I know many people will judge me based on a few criminals.

I have a few questions. What is about race? and what didn't I do?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
That's easy, Gunther! The truth is offensive to some! LOL. So any BS excuse to downplay it is ok in this screwed up PC world we live in!
Or perhaps I know there is more to the statistics than meets the eye. Someone says "Blacks commit crimes". I ask "which Blacks"? It matters alot because there is a big difference between a middle class Black person with an education and a job, and a Black person living in the ghetto who deals drugs and was not raised properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies