Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:41 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I've been involved in charity work even before I could work and I can't say that I have ever met anyone with conservative views... unless they were a cop. Why is this? It could just be the activities I participate in, but I have volunteered for a range a programs from ESL programs to habitat for humanity and not too many people seem to espouse conservative views.

People that work for charities don't seem to be conservative either.

just because 20 somethings' don't watch matlock marathons, doesn't mean they don't watch TV

maybe your not volteering at the same places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Statistics show conservatives donate about twice what liberals donate.
That's not true--the numbers are about equal. However, conservatives and liberals tend to donate to and volunteer for different types of causes and organizations. Conservatives tend to give to their church, and liberals tend to give to a wide variety of secular causes. The same goes with volunteering--conservatives volunteer at church, and liberals have a broader base. If the OP is volunteering in community based organizations, her observation is right on the money.
Study: Conservatives and liberals are equally charitable, but they give to different charities

Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
what a load of crap
if you are boasting on how much you do you are lacking in humility
go on and rant it is what you all do best
being out there volunteering is about serving the people you are there to serve not taking a poll on political views
most folks who serve do it with out fan fare at least the ones who serve with their hearts and not for attention
but then you would not know about that
Damned if you do and damned if you don't! See below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Been to Moore, OK lately?

Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's not true--the numbers are about equal. However, conservatives and liberals tend to donate to and volunteer for different types of causes and organizations. Conservatives tend to give to their church, and liberals tend to give to a wide variety of secular causes. The same goes with volunteering--conservatives volunteer at church, and liberals have a broader base. If the OP is volunteering in community based organizations, her observation is right on the money.
Study: Conservatives and liberals are equally charitable, but they give to different charities
Did you read that study? I ask because it's only been mentioned here twenty-leven times...

Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
That's a good question. I think comes down to right wingers are lazy and don't feel the need to help others. They think those in need are a bunch of scumbags.

Tempest, I just spent the last XX hours volunteering. Things are a mess where the tornados went thru, and you know, I couldn't tell you the politics of anyone that I worked with today or helped. Do I care? NOT 1 DAMN BIT! I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH VOLUNTEERING HAVE YOU DONE TODAY?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Tempest, I just spent the last XX hours volunteering. Things are a mess where the tornados went thru, and you know, I couldn't tell you the politics of anyone that I worked with today or helped. Do I care? NOT 1 DAMN BIT! I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH VOLUNTEERING HAVE YOU DONE TODAY?
Exactly so. I doubt anyone who's being fed,receiving medical or housing cares about what political party is helping them nor do the people serving those tornado victims care what party they're serving.
I can see it now, Oh you're a democrat? NO SOUP FOR YOU! NEXT....

Had this question been about donating instead of volunteering then it'd be a subject to talk about.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I've been involved in charity work even before I could work and I can't say that I have ever met anyone with conservative views... unless they were a cop. Why is this? It could just be the activities I participate in, but I have volunteered for a range a programs from ESL programs to habitat for humanity and not too many people seem to espouse conservative views.

People that work for charities don't seem to be conservative either.
Where in the world did you get that idea? Habitat is one I know a lot of conservative work with. I can't begin to name all the people I know that give hours and hours a day or week to volunteer work and are as conservative as they come? I am one of them, btw. I actually find your statements totally off base and totally slanted.

I will agree most people who choose to work for charitable organizations are social workers and no, they are not, usually conservative.

I know conservatives that work for school projects, animal shelters, food banks, courtesy vans, meals on wheels, at hospitals, thrift stores, help when there is a natural disaster in their area. I could go on and on. I am glad you do find time to do volunteer work, but don't think only those on the left help.

Nita

Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
That's a good question. I think comes down to right wingers are lazy and don't feel the need to help others. They think those in need are a bunch of scumbags.
And how many hours did you give to charity last week, what charities do you regularly volunteer to help? I bet I can guess, but I will wait and see what you have to say about this?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Conservatives and liberals differ in form, not level of giving.
Conservatives give to religious institutions more.

Who Really Gives? Partisanship and Charitable Giving in the United States by Michele Margolis, Michael Sances :: SSRN
so you are already showing what you posted to start with is a bunch of garbage. As for the level of giving, you are wrong there; conservatives give a lot more than liberal % wise. And you made a comment about Catholics being liberal: this isn't necessarily true. Are they moving to the middle more? Yes, but they are not predominantly liberal by any means. You might want to research a little more, not just one source that come closest to what you would like to believe.

I am noticing a change in your responses, now you are admitting you don't have a clue what you are really talking about. Now, instead of saying "conservatives do not volunteer" like you did in the title and your first statements, you are starting to say things like You were just wondering which charities we gave to, not saying we don't volunteer.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so you are already showing what you posted to start with is a bunch of garbage. As for the level of giving, you are wrong there; conservatives give a lot more than liberal % wise. And you made a comment about Catholics being liberal: this isn't necessarily true. Are they moving to the middle more? Yes, but they are not predominantly liberal by any means. You might want to research a little more, not just one source that come closest to what you would like to believe.

I am noticing a change in your responses, now you are admitting you don't have a clue what you are really talking about. Now, instead of saying "conservatives do not volunteer" like you did in the title and your first statements, you are starting to say things like You were just wondering which charities we gave to, not saying we don't volunteer.
Actually, if you read my posts you will see that I was specifically asking why conservatives don't seem to be out volunteering with organizations. Maybe conservatives give more money than they do time. Perhaps they volunteer through religious organizations more so than other organizations. Perhaps, and most likely, they just don't volunteer where I do.

The fact that Catholics lean left isn't a new trend, that has been the case for decades. They did vote for Bush in large numbers, but they overwhelmingly voted for Obama and historically tend to vote Democratic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies