Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
So observing and commenting on the fact that "blacks" commit a disproportionate amount of crime is disparaging to "blacks"?

Not the fact that they actually COMMIT the most crime...we just shouldn't be allowed to NOTICE it....

LMAO...and let me guess..you're "black", right?
If the ONLY thing you can contribute to this discussion is the fact that blacks are committing a disproportionate amount of crimes, then I would certainly have to question your motives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 PM

152 posts, read 295,727 times
I think the best explanation I've heard for why Chicago has greater problems than a lot of similar cities is that it hasn't adopted a comprehensive anti-gang plan. I can't find the article now, but it compared and contrasted New York City with Chicago to suggest that the main reason why Chicago's gun bans didn't limit violence as effectively as NYC's policies have is because NYC also has a strong gang policy. I'm not familiar with how NYC does this, but maybe Chicago should try to look to other cities to compare and contrast ideas which might work then cherry pick policies that could better address its issues?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 PM

370 posts, read 246,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said no one talks about Baltimore. I said it was discussed much less than Chicago.

And proof? I've seen your other posts and it concludes that you have an obsession about race. You talking about ME having "feelings", why else would you be obsessed about race, if it didn't have anything to do with your feelings?

I care about WHY you discuss such topics because if you aren't discussing this topic in order to provide solutions, and you are just trying to "blame Blacks", then you aren't providing any productive dialogue. There are other people on here discussing certain issues such as fatherless households, the drug war, and education, trying to discuss productive solutions. When I said "it wouldn't be wise", I was talking about WHY you were discussing this in the first place. If one is not interested in finding solutions, then why do you want to discuss the topic of race? Why the obsession? What is your motive if not to find solutions?

You don't get to define the terms, assign "motives" and frame the argument to suit yourself.

I have no "obsessions". Your bias is showing.
I provide facts and cite sources. You describe your "feelings" and things you just "know" to be true.

I only "blame blacks" for the things they do...who should I blame?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:39 PM

370 posts, read 246,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
If the ONLY thing you can contribute to this discussion is the fact that blacks are committing a disproportionate amount of crimes, then I would certainly have to question your motives.
Do "blacks" commit a disproportionate amount of crime compared to their representation in the population? Can you answer that?
My "motives" are truth and transparency. What are yours?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:39 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
I think along the same lines. I think we all know there are a higher numbers of crimes within the Black population. However, it is also important to know which segment of the Black population this is occurring in, why it is a occurring, where it is occurring, and the solutions in which can solve the problem. The why, where, and whom matter alot. Where matters alot because alot of these crimes occur in the inner city. The why is important because there are many issues such as fatherless homes, broken homes, low education attainment, the drug war, out of wedlock births, high unemployment rates,etc. If we can solve these problems, it would be a step in the right direction in creating better communities.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Funding to fight gangs and drug trafficking dropped significantly, which is part of the problem, possibly.
Kirsten Gillibrand - United States Senator for New York: Agenda - Working to Eliminate Gang Activity in New York

Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Do "blacks" commit a disproportionate amount of crime compared to their representation in the population? Can you answer that?
His motives are problem solving and real solutions. I don't think your motives are transparent and true. Why else would you bring up "Blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime" while ignoring the causes of committing crime? Why are you obsessed about race? I've asked over and over.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Funding to fight gangs and drug trafficking dropped significantly, which is part of the problem, possibly.
Kirsten Gillibrand - United States Senator for New York: Agenda - Working to Eliminate Gang Activity in New York
Sounds like a plan. It also important to ask this question. Why do many young people join gangs in the first place?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:52 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sounds like a plan. It also important to ask this question. Why do many young people join gangs in the first place?
Well, since people, {mentors} feel better about being paid for their time to try to keep school aged children out of gangs, there's probably a lack thereof. School districts hire people to try to get kids from being sucked in, but if funding dries up, you have nothing.

I touched upon some other points earlier in a long drivel, possibly 3 pages back.

To answer the question why. I don't really know. Growing up in Chicago, I was almost in a gang, as a member of the popes. But, that was back in the day when youngsters used fists, rocks and sticks to fight with, it's much different today. I learned one thing about fighting back against becoming a member, never to turn your back on anyone you didn't trust, and always look over your shoulder.

I might add that Chicago's population wasn't what it is today, and it seemed as if there were more police walking beats during those days too. Maybe that's a part of the puzzle, step up foot and bicycle patrols.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:00 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times
Quote:
Yes they do. I've already said they do, a few times in fact. I don't see what stating that fact alone accomplishes though. Are you saying we should do some ethnic cleansing or what?

This problem is more complex than "blacks like to kill each other."

And my motive is identifying solutions to the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies