U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM

9,832 posts, read 5,853,550 times

Advertisements

What's not covered in the statistics is that Gary Indiana is basically a suburb of Chicago which only makes the entire area even worse. When I travel to either city, my doors stay locked. I don't stop unless absolutely necessary... I go to other major cities all the time, but I don't have near the uneasyness as I do in those two cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM

48,275 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
What's not covered in the statistics is that Gary Indiana is basically a suburb of Chicago which only makes the entire area even worse. When I travel to either city, my doors stay locked. I don't stop unless absolutely necessary... I go to other major cities all the time, but I don't have near the uneasyness as I do in those two cities.
Gary is in much worse shape than Chicago. I might say it's worse than Detroit. I would say one reason Gary isn't included is because it's in Indiana.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,554,726 times
Quote:
Gary is Indiana's problem, if that red state wants to clean up their own mess, then they are welcome to do so, but I am sure it is easier for them to just blame it on Chicago.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Gary is in much worse shape than Chicago. I might say it's worse than Detroit. I would say one reason Gary isn't included is because it's in Indiana.
I agree, Gary is worse than Chicago, but in order to address one, you have to address the other due to their proximity to each other. It's a lot of the same criminal element in both and they go between the two cities. Until you approach both simultaneously, they will simply move back and forth. It isn't a red state, blue state issue. It's a violence in the area issue.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I agree, Gary is worse than Chicago, but in order to address one, you have to address the other due to their proximity to each other. It's a lot of the same criminal element in both and they go between the two cities. Until you approach both simultaneously, they will simply move back and forth. It isn't a red state, blue state issue. It's a violence in the area issue.
Yes, the two states can and should work together for the best interest of the two cities, but cleaning up Gary isn't illinois's problem and Chicago can thrive just fine without needing to worry about Gary.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 PM

48,275 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Quote:
Criminals from Chicago have gone into Indiana. However, how much of it was home grown?

Old 06-02-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Criminals from Chicago have gone into Indiana. However, how much of it was home grown?
A lot of it's home grown, and an lot of it spills back over into the streets of Chicago. The two cities can't really be separated in terms of which criminal belongs to who. It's the same street gangs in both cities and they are connected.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
A lot of it's home grown, and an lot of it spills back over into the streets of Chicago. The two cities can't really be separated in terms of which criminal belongs to who. It's the same street gangs in both cities and they are connected.
Well Chicago could stamp them out and just push them into Gary and let it be Indiana's problem. That is typically what happens when crime is pushed out for better citizens.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM

The two cities need more cooperation between the two. Have you ever lived in an apartment building and had the neighbors spray for bugs? They run into your apartment, then when you spray a few weeks later, they run back to the neighbors house.... It's a never ending cycle. Until the two cities work together to address the problem, it will continue to exist.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:27 PM

774 posts, read 2,084,683 times
We have a lot more than one problem here. It starts with our politicians then our police force. Corruption runs wild at every level and every department. Add in the fact that the state is dead broke after years of mismanagement and it all piles up to a steaming pile of crap.

As for crime.... The 8 dead headline you posted is not really anything out of the ordinary. In fact it's pretty common. The real bulk of the crime is within the city and mostly contained on the side side of the city within a couple of square miles... This that don't want to get robbed or killed know enough to stay out of those neighborhoods. It's not that we ignore it so much as know better than to get involved.

BTW.. Someone posted about a large black population and there was some discussion about it.. There is a huge black population here and while it is true that every race commits crimes and murder. The vast majority of the crime here is black on black or black on Hispanic. I'm not trying to start an argument. Just stating the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or