U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 AM

45,840 posts, read 34,057,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Wrong.
I no longer live in Chicago, but I can say this, it's not gang bangers killing gang bangers. Where did you get this crap from?

It would be great if gangbangers killed only their kind.

Are you trolling or what?

Infant latest victim of deadly Chicago gang violence
The father of the killed infant is affiliated with a gang and has a long rap sheet. The shooter is in custody now and claims the dad stole drugs from him. Who knows?

Most of the shooters are affiliated with gangs and sometimes they take out people based on mistaken identities or just because it's Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because the MSM hasn't targeted Houston as a hot crime spot.
The MSM is pretty powerful in getting people to think a certain way.

As far as Houston crime, 150,000 from Katrina settled in Houston and the statistics show the increase in crime over time.
Chicag'so per capita murder rates peaked in 1974-2004.

Blacks migrated from the rural South to Chicago for jobs during the post WW2 years.
While they no longer had to worry about the KKK, they were not welcomed by the unions or neighborhoods.

The majority of public housing projects were built well before LBJ's "Great Society" speech. Most have since been demolished.

Contrary to popular opinion, voter turnout in ghetto neighborhoods is beyond **** poor. Municipal union employees are a different story. The mighty 30,000 Teachers Union is powerful in all wards. Rahm Emanuel ( Democrat) is the first Chicago mayor to take on the unions. His objective is to close 50 unproductive schools with substantially declining student populations and terminating employment contracts.

On a state level, Illinois had the distinction of having more former governors, regardless of party sentenced to prison than any other state. Most recently,2 former governors were in prison at the same time. One was Republican.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why does the Chicago PD not police those parts of the city ?
The majority of Police are in the most dangerous parts of the city. The size of the force is not conducive to having an officer on every block.

Open air drug markets are common on many streets. Shut it down and a new market appears 2 blocks over within hours.

Nothing short of substantial military presence and tanks on some streets will likely put an immediate dent in it.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Did You know back in LBJ's time you could do serious prison time for .25 ounce of pot ?

That war was way before Reagan.
He and Nancy put the big $ into he war.

Nancy loved to entertain the first ladies of the world at the white house to talk about the War on Drugs.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 AM

8,031 posts, read 7,636,497 times
Quote:
OK it's only Black gang wars killing each other so no big deal, right ?
People defend Chicago and say it's only a certain part of town.
Yes there may be worse in DC, NOLA, Detroit, Baltimore and a few others

You can deny but Chicago has a serious problem. Why is the drug wars so much worse there than many large cities ?

Gun Violence Rocks Chicago as 8 are Shot in One Day | News | BET
I see no mention of Obama, which is what I was basically told it was all about by the Houston/Texas/Bush bashers. Hmm...

Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How can anyone implement solutions if they don't first address the root of the problem - mothers having children out of wedlock, lack of present fathers, apathy toward education, and a misguided drug war, the first three which are predominately a feature of and the last disproportionately affects, a certain demographic which too many people in this forum are reluctant to truthfully identify because it isn't politically correct?
Most folk agree that these are the root causes of urban crime and barbarianism.

Does not appear any two people can agree how to change the culture.

The drug cartels ( and DIYers as it relates to Crystal meth) can undercut any legalized drug market.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
I think the best explanation I've heard for why Chicago has greater problems than a lot of similar cities is that it hasn't adopted a comprehensive anti-gang plan. I can't find the article now, but it compared and contrasted New York City with Chicago to suggest that the main reason why Chicago's gun bans didn't limit violence as effectively as NYC's policies have is because NYC also has a strong gang policy. I'm not familiar with how NYC does this, but maybe Chicago should try to look to other cities to compare and contrast ideas which might work then cherry pick policies that could better address its issues?
Chicago does not have a Stop and Frisk law, like NYC.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
To answer the question why. I don't really know. Growing up in Chicago, I was almost in a gang, as a member of the popes. But, that was back in the day when youngsters used fists, rocks and sticks to fight with, it's much different today. I learned one thing about fighting back against becoming a member, never to turn your back on anyone you didn't trust, and always look over your shoulder.
I have a vague recollection of the Popes. It was rumored that some local Greek boys were involved. No guns. No drugs. Gangs were not organized with military precision, back then.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 AM

19,025 posts, read 22,232,950 times
It's Chicago......... The best thing is Republicans can share no blame At this point who cares what happens there..

That place is just proof positive that Gun Free Zones don't work. And think summer is just starting in these sick cities. Great Just great, maybe the problems will all kill each other, and IMO the sooner the better.

The PC is the epitome of insanity!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Let them kill each other and save the cops the trouble.

And taxpayers the money for their incarceration.

20yrsinBranson
Some in Chicago, believe this is the de facto policy.

One does not see these issues in say Lincoln Park. Gang members tend to take care of "out of area" issues quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or