U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 AM

22,388 posts, read 11,525,123 times

Advertisements

We need a less powerful FDA, not a more powerful FDA. Good work, Cruz and Paul. We don't need paranoid lunatics expanding the power of the federal government. I suggest the paranoid lunatics take time to discover on their own what they are eating and not impose costs on us rational individuals out here.

Do your own damn research if you don't wish to consume GMO products.

Last edited by whogo; 06-02-2013 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 AM

29,691 posts, read 16,462,697 times
Does anyone still believe anything that a politician says? I honestly don't think any of them stand for ANYTHING other than their corporate sponsor at the moment.

No republican and no Democrat.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 AM

20,289 posts, read 16,464,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We need a less powerful FDA, not a more powerful FDA. Good work, Cruz and Paul. We don't need paranoid lunatics expanding the power of the federal government. I suggest the paranoid lunatics take time to discover on their own what they are eating and not impose costs on us rational individuals out here.

Do your own damn research if you don't wish to consume GMO products.
It's really not that easy. I wrote to Wheatabix company once to ask whether their "all natural" corn flakes contained GMO corn....I was actually impressed by the e-mail I got back, as it went up the chain of command all the way up to the Vice President of the company (the whole chain was on my e-mail) because NO ONE knew, not even the vice president of the company. In the end they told me since they couldn't verify it wasn't GMO corn, to assume it probably was. So my questioning of ONE box of cereal took me 2 weeks to get an answer, and I only got an answer because I asked a company that cared enough to keep trying to get an answer for me. Yet I should do this for EVERY food I eat, rather than have the companies put it on the label?

I never understand how people who are supposedly pro-individual rights back giant corporations in favor of individual rights. All people want is to know what they are eating, and that's too much to ask??

Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM

35,052 posts, read 19,164,936 times
Smile Ted Cruz and Rand Paul voted against State Rights in favor of Monsanto's Rights

These two like to generate a lot of face time by making silly statements carefully crafted by their staffs to appeal to their radical base of supporters. But when it comes time to be counted, they show who their true masters are.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 AM

3,846 posts, read 1,954,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's really not that easy. I wrote to Wheatabix company once to ask whether their "all natural" corn flakes contained GMO corn....I was actually impressed by the e-mail I got back, as it went up the chain of command all the way up to the Vice President of the company (the whole chain was on my e-mail) because NO ONE knew, not even the vice president of the company. In the end they told me since they couldn't verify it wasn't GMO corn, to assume it probably was. So my questioning of ONE box of cereal took me 2 weeks to get an answer, and I only got an answer because I asked a company that cared enough to keep trying to get an answer for me. Yet I should do this for EVERY food I eat, rather than have the companies put it on the label?

I never understand how people who are supposedly pro-individual rights back giant corporations in favor of individual rights. All people want is to know what they are eating, and that's too much to ask??
Ignorance is immunity.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 AM

3,846 posts, read 1,954,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Ignorance is immunity.
Knowledge is liability.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 AM

6,335 posts, read 4,415,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
Hypocrites.

I can see Ted Cruz doing this, but Rand Paul? What a shame.
Are you really surprised, these guys only support state rights when they agree with the states

Old 06-02-2013, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 705 times
Mr. Paul may think we do not have a "right" to know what we are eating, and what we are subsidizing. But with the subsidies, comes a right to be protected or at least to Choose (labeling) the poison we may prefer. Turning these rights over to a profit making machine is an odd position for a libertarian or liberal to hold.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,901,409 times
dont know if this is true but kudos to them if so...

Monsanto gives up fight for GM plants in Europe | Business | DW.DE | 31.05.2013
Monsanto Europe spokesman Brandon Mitchener was quoted as saying the company would no longer engage in any lobbying fur such plants on the continent, adding that at the moment the firm was unwilling to apply for approval of any GM plants
Monsanto said its decision was partly based on low demand from European farmers. "We've understood that such plants don't have any broad acceptance in European societies," Monsanto Germany spokeswoman Ursula Lüttmer-Ouazane commented. "We haven't been bale to make any progress over the years, and it's counter-productive to tilt against windmills," she added.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 AM

14,379 posts, read 7,931,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Sounds like some really bought into the teabagger facades of these two worms.

Nothing but shills for corporate sponsors.
Did you lose sight of the fact that EVERY DEMOCRAT voted it down as well? Bernie Sanders (I) was the lone hold out, yet you focus only on "teabaggers"

This is the best part of the article:
Sure, for senators like McCain and McCaskill, we expect them to be sellouts. Their souls are already slated to rot in Hell for their conscious commitment to evil. But for those who offer real hope for liberty — like Cruz and Ryan — we expect you to do better!

If you continue to disappoint us on this issue, we will fight like mad to remove you from office at the next voting opportunity. And for me personally, as the editor of Natural News, there are only two issues that really determine our endorsements for the next election: GMO labeling and Second Amendment. We the People want our food labeled and our rifles protected. We want the freedom that comes from government getting out of our private lives but the accountability that comes from government forcing large corporations to at least tell the truth about what’s in the food they’re selling us.
--

I couldn't agree more! But this will do no good if only conservative voters are bright enough to remove the sellouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies