Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,430,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
lol, Bmoreb I didn't know you to be thin skinned and taking everything personal. Anyone who claims to be soooo concerned about the poor are talking about themselves. The poor will not help themselves and will remain poor no matter what is done for them.

How long has that war on poverty been going on? And there is still poverty, imagine that.
Of course I'm going to take is personally when you're attacking me without prior knowledge of my post. If you're not poor and don't want to contribute something meaningful to help them, then why even post at all in this particular thread? I'm not suggesting more welfare assistance, nor am I suggesting higher-taxes on the wealthy, but simply what could motivate the poor man to do better.

Now would you like me to continue bringing up evidence that I'm not largest Obama supporter nor am I huge Conservative? I voted for Obama, yes, but that doesn't mean I approve a majority of his policies. In fact, Romney pretty much had my vote until he chose Paul Ryan. I'm the person you conservatives need to try to win over not attack, but you single handily are making me stay on the left-wing side of the political spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:52 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,417,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Of course I'm going to take is personally when you're attacking me without prior knowledge of my post. If you're not poor and don't want to contribute something meaningful to help them, then why even post at all in this particular thread? I'm not suggesting more welfare assistance, nor am I suggesting higher-taxes on the wealthy, but simply what could motivate the poor man to do better.
Most poor think they know it all and have no interest in looking at themselves and taking a look at what they are doing wrong. This is what the forum members on cd have taught me. They are not interested in cracking a book to learn about personal finance. They are only interested in what this government can do for them. Some even think they are owed. No one can help people who think they know it all. If they get alot of money today they will be broke and begging for more tomorrow. They think like a poor man and think Obama is going to save them. That is also foolish.

Do people actually think Obama is going to help them? Obama doesn't know what is happening in the white house let alone be able to help the American people.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 PM

934 posts, read 1,126,009 times
Quote:
Most poor think they know it all. They have no interest in looking at themselves and taking a look at what they are doing wrong. They are not interested in cracking a book to learn about personal finance. They are only interested in what this government can do for them. Some even think they are owed. No one can help people who think they know it all. If they get alot of money today they will be broke and begging for more tomorrow. They think like a poor man and think Obama is going to save them. That is also foolish.

Well, there's an assumption. Are all poor people educated? They all wo uld understand a book about personal finance? I say this, because working for an agency that works with low income, I can tell you a lot of poor people have little or no education. Many are functionally illiterate. Hell, I have trouble understanding personal finance information. I go to my advisor and she talks and I listen and I still don't really understand.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Most poor think they know it all and have no interest in looking at themselves and taking a look at what they are doing wrong. This is what the forum members on cd have taught me. They are not interested in cracking a book to learn about personal finance. They are only interested in what this government can do for them. Some even think they are owed. No one can help people who think they know it all. If they get alot of money today they will be broke and begging for more tomorrow. They think like a poor man and think Obama is going to save them. That is also foolish.

Do people actually think Obama is going to help them? Obama doesn't know what is happening in the white house let alone be able to help the American people.
I completely understand your assertion, but simply not doing anything to help them isn't right either. Provide the education to those while in grade school, those already planning on being on welfare for life can't be saved unfortunately, but the next generation can.

Here's one of post backing both the poor and the wealthy if you don't believe I'm for the poor and the rich and anybody in-between.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28743660-post137.html

Old 06-02-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Well, there's an assumption. Are all poor people educated? They all wo uld understand a book about personal finance? I say this, because working for an agency that works with low income, I can tell you a lot of poor people have little or no education. Many are functionally illiterate. Hell, I have trouble understanding personal finance information. I go to my advisor and she talks and I listen and I still don't really understand.
And this is what I am talking about you even admit that you have trouble understanding personal finance but then claim you know what is good for the economy.

You also admit that the poor have little or no education, why is that, they go to school the same as I did. Oh and there are plenty of personal finance books but they are not interested in learning YET! they want to tell us what is best for everyone.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I completely understand your assertion, but simply not doing anything to help them isn't right either. Provide the education to those while in grade school, those already planning on being on welfare for life can't be saved unfortunately, but the next generation can.

Here's one of post backing both the poor and the wealthy if you don't believe I'm for the poor and the rich and anybody in-between.
And taking from those who worked hard to get where they are but are not the rich. But since the poor are uneducated Obama was able to pull the lie off. Worse yet, the truly rich, who are Obama's FRIENDS still get away because they know how to move their assets.

The poor will latch onto anyone who promises them something and just like the banks used them, they are being used again and the poor will lose again only this time it will push them beyond ever hoping again.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
And this is what I am talking about you even admit that you have trouble understanding personal finance but then claim you know what is good for the economy.

You also admit that the poor have little or no education, why is that, they go to school the same as I did. Oh and there are plenty of personal finance books but they are not interested in learning YET! they want to tell us what is best for everyone.
I know you weren't responding to me, but I really hope that you read the link to my comment in my last post. Plus if you are suggesting that I'm asking the poor what's best for all, you're simply incorrect. I'm asking the poor, what do they think is best for them. Some may say more govt assistance, some may say more jobs and less completion, while others charitable handouts, and more education; simply put, the opinions will vary and that's what I want to hear. I don't want to hear from someone like yourself who is only looking to put the poor down and call them stupid, I'm looking for a poor person who knows their situation and can tell me what's holding them down.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I know you weren't responding to me, but I really hope that you read the link to my comment in my last post. Plus if you are suggesting that I'm asking the poor what's best for all, you're simply incorrect. I'm asking the poor, what do they think is best for them. Some may say more govt assistance, some may say more jobs and less completion, while others charitable handouts, and more education; simply put, the opinions will vary and that's what I want to hear. I don't want to hear from someone like yourself who is only looking to put the poor down and call them stupid, I'm looking for a poor person who knows their situation and can tell me what's holding them down.
Well I am tired of all the pandering. If they want to help themselves the first thing they need to do is stop whining, realize life is a bit*h and do something to help themselves. Anyone out there that is making it didn't whine, bit*h and expect others to make them successful. Successful people had to do it themselves.

I've seen it a couple times where a poor person gets some money in their hands and they spend it like water on ridiculous things too. After all, they know that government will take care of them so why should they care.

Obama is perpetuating the "everyone owes me" mentality.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Agree Brynach; many people, including myself up until late last year, don't understand financial information. Some simply may not care about that type of information, while some just may be ignorant to the fact of that information. Lets take my mother for example, she is a bright woman but when it comes down to investing the closest thing she does to investing is her own business and her IRA; she is ignorant to the fact in investing into stock-markets but I've informed her on it, yet she still won't invest on her own simply because she sees it as a gamble which to a degree it is. The closest she ever came to investing was buying Facebook stocks, but luckily I talked her out of it.

Now there's some things she taught me in regards to taxes; she told me which loop-holes I could use, what I could put down on my file to reduce my taxes, and etc. Plus she pretty much forced me into getting a IRA, which at the time I didn't want because I simply thought it would take from my check without any real return and this is where many poor people are lost at. They'd rather accept SSI, as opposed to investing in a potentially lucrative IRA; so that's one example of ignorance on behalf of the poor or ill-educated financial beings.

Quote:
Well I am tired of all the pandering. If they want to help themselves the first thing they need to do is stop whining, realize life is a bit*h and do something to help themselves. Anyone out there that is making it didn't whine, bit*h and expect others to make them successful. Successful people had to do it themselves.

I've seen it a couple times where a poor person gets some money in their hands and they spend it like water on ridiculous things too. After all, they know that government will take care of them so why should they care.

Obama is perpetuating the "everyone owes me" mentality.
Just read this link, I agree with you far more than you seem to be portraying I am.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:19 PM

I am not talking about the stock market. My god, learning to balance one's personal financial books would be a good start. Learning that income must exceed expenses and to build an emergency fund would be another good start. Learning that money does not fall out of the sky is another good start.

People gripe about the banks but fail to look in the mirror and see that they are just as much to blame. Oh no, never take blame resulting in never learning from your mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies