Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times

Advertisements

So why don't you white folks pull yourselves up by your bootstraps and make something of yourselves, don't be trailer trash all of your lives, and get off of welfare and food stamps. Stop living with your stinky cats and get a job and better yourselves.
Quote:
Far too many Americans still see poverty and poor people through a racial prism that distorts demographic realities — and undermines efforts to narrow income inequality.
Poverty More than a Matter of Black and White | Inequality.org

http://inequality.org/wp-content/upl...10/poverty.png

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-02-2013 at 04:11 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 01:36 AM

207 posts, read 432,499 times
Never mind that white people are very much underrepresented in America's poor and that black and Hispanic Americans are grossly over-represented.

Last edited by PGC Native; 06-02-2013 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-02-2013, 01:45 AM

156 posts, read 116,249 times
There's one problem with your sources analysis.

They say:

Quote:
This elevated risk reflects past and current institutional practices that put blacks and other minorities at a disadvantage. But it’s also true that almost three-quarters of black incomes do not fall below the poverty line. Collapsing poor and black as if all poor were black and all blacks poor turns the “poverty” problem into a “race” problem.
The white poverty rate does run much lower than the black rate, just under 10 percent, one-third of the black rate. But the white poor outnumber the black poor considerably, 19 to 7.8 million. White people make up 42 percent of America’s poor, black people about 28 percent.
The basic numbers don’t change when we look at people living in extreme poverty, in households making less than 50 percent of the meager poverty line. Of the 20 million people who live at this alarming level of want and deprivation, about 42 percent are white, 27 percent black.
But they never mention that there are more total white people who are poor than black people because...

There are significantly more white people than there are black people.

True. There's more whites who are poor but again, that's because there's significantly more whites. So it's not a fair comparison.

Lets look at this tid bit and dissect it down further:

Quote:
The basic numbers don’t change when we look at people living in extreme poverty, in households making less than 50 percent of the meager poverty line. Of the 20 million people who live at this alarming level of want and deprivation, about 42 percent are white, 27 percent black.
So there are 20 million people who are living in extreme poverty. 42% of those are white people and 27% are black. That means almost 10 million of those are white and 5 million are black.

There are 200 million white people in the U.S. and 40 million black people in the U.S. this means that almost 1 in 4 black people are living in extreme poverty. But only 1 in 20 white people living in extreme poverty.

Total, raw population is key in debunking your sources analysis.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
The problem is that there are a lot of jobs out there, but they are beneath the dignity of a lot of people. Would you expect a 50 year old man to work at McDonald's? Maybe a few would, but not many.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
There's one problem with your sources analysis.

They say:

But they never mention that there are more total white people who are poor than black people because...

There are significantly more white people than there are black people.

True. There's more whites who are poor but again, that's because there's significantly more whites. So it's not a fair comparison.

Lets look at this tid bit and dissect it down further:

So there are 20 million people who are living in extreme poverty. 42% of those are white people and 27% are black. That means almost 10 million of those are white and 5 million are black.

There are 200 million white people in the U.S. and 40 million black people in the U.S. this means that almost 1 in 4 black people are living in extreme poverty. But only 1 in 20 white people living in extreme poverty.

Total, raw population is key in debunking your sources analysis.
So why do you think these white lawyer wannabes are living in trailers with their cats instead of going out and getting a job?

Isn't that what white people tell blacks to do all of the time? Get off the dole and get a job?
Why do you think it is that white people sit on their fannies all day long taking help from the gubmint?

Old 06-02-2013, 02:02 AM

156 posts, read 116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
So why do you think these white lawyer wannabes are living in trailers with their cats instead of going out and getting a job?
I can't say I'm aware that there are "White Laywer Wannabe's Living in trailers with lots of cats." I have no idea where you're getting that bit from. But it sounds rather...interesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Isn't that what white people tell blacks to do all of the time? Get off the dole and get a job?
Why do you think it is that white people sit on their fannies all day long taking help from the gubmint?
I think the point is that blacks sit on their fannies and live on the gubmint more in relation to their total population.

Did you know that almost 1 in 2 black people are on food stamps? Food for thought.

Take a look at this and you'll see why minorities are overwhelmingly on government assistance.

I know one thing. We can't keep doing this. We're going to run out of money soon if washington doesn't start doing something about it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AOdk-xDdPJ...ricanflags.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-02-2013 at 04:12 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 02:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The problem is that there are a lot of jobs out there, but they are beneath the dignity of a lot of people. Would you expect a 50 year old man to work at McDonald's? Maybe a few would, but not many.

I think this problem is the other way around: I think the reason you don't see 50 year old men working at McDonald's is 50 year old men are probably bottom of the barrel as far as McDonald's is concerned - as long as there are younger applicants available (and there always are plenty), the 50 year olds don't get hired.

Even if a 50 year old man got hired, he'd probably get no more than 28 hours a week (under Obamacare), which would leave him below the poverty line.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:07 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
http://inequality.org/wp-content/upl...10/poverty.png

It's amazing to think that there are actually more Hispanics than blacks living in poverty in America now. What a disaster post-1965 immigration policy has been.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-02-2013 at 04:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 02:09 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
The GOP attitude towards the poor in general seems to be. Look at the compassion they showed during the biggest collapse in a century.

As long as they get the gold mine, you can have the shalt.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-02-2013 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: language

Old 06-02-2013, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
I can't say I'm aware that there are "White Laywer Wannabe's Living in trailers with lots of cats." I have no idea where you're getting that bit from. But it sounds rather...interesting?

I think the point is that blacks sit on their fannies and live on the gubmint more in relation to their total population.

Did you know that almost 1 in 2 black people are on food stamps? Food for thought.

Take a look at this and you'll see why minorities are overwhelmingly on government assistance.

I know one thing. We can't keep doing this. We're going to run out of money soon if washington doesn't start doing something about it.
I always hear white people complaining why don't blacks get off welfare and get a job, I wondered why white folks just don't practice what they preach? I am guessing that's too much to ask of a white person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

It's amazing to think that there are actually more Hispanics than blacks living in poverty in America now. What a disaster post-1965 immigration policy has been.
Thank Ronald Reagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies