U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,750,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The fight for equal pay, then they get equal pay and look down on guys.

Typical women... get em back in the kitchen
That why women want SSM, they are getting tired of supporting fat, lazy, dumb husbands.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM

45,781 posts, read 34,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
The point of my post was that most female breadwinners are not what I would consider feminist. I think its a common misconception.
My husband was a stay at home dad when our children were in school. We were fortunate enough to be able to hire people to clean and mow the grass. When he was not up to his eyeballs coaching youth sports, he was a volunteer paramedic for our town. I am a better cook and he cleans a mean toilet.
Neither of us ever spent a moment pondering gender roles.

Stay at home dads ( by choice) is increasingly common.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM

21,870 posts, read 21,711,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I'd like to know, for the women who **** and moan that their husbands do not do the share of the household chores, do you women also, cut the lawn, shovel the snow, do other yard work, fix things around the house that need to be?
Im not married now, but yes I have always mowed the lawn (mostly push mower) and weed-eated, chopped and stacked wood, Shoveled snow off the walk-way about once a year as needed, tilled, planted, weeded, harvested and canned the food from the garden, planted flower beds, put up and repaired fencing, fix some stuff. Some of which I have done with a baby on my hip. I'm no good at mechanicing although I can check my fluids and tire pressure. I just go to jiffy lube for that stuff. No good with electricity although I have put up my share of ceiling fans.
After work yesterday I put up insulation and sheetrock in a shed. Na na na bo booo!

As stated these are not everyday or everyweek things that need to be done to keep a house running.
Many people dont have yards to keep up and hire people to make home repairs.
I suspose the answer is to, as others suggested, hire someone else to do everything.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,954,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My husband was a stay at home dad when our children were in school. We were fortunate enough to be able to hire people to clean and mow the grass.
Were they Haitian?

Quote:
When he was not up to his eyeballs coaching youth sports, he was a volunteer paramedic for our town. I am a better cook and he cleans a mean toilet.
Neither of us ever spent a moment pondering gender roles.

Stay at home dads ( by choice) is increasingly common.
I was unemployed or underemployed for almost 10 years. During much of that time I was a stay-at-home dad. I will admit to you that it was very hard for me to accept that role because I spent years educating myself and working hard to take care of my family. But when I lost my job and my wife's job/business began to boom, it made sense for me to stay home and raise the boys. I enjoyed being with them all day, but it grated on me knowing that I had become a failure professionally. Of course, the wife was quite verbally abusive during this time as well, berating me because I couldn't get anything going in terms of my career or business. And since I was raised to be the breadwinner - the man of the house - my relatives also piled on. I coached sports and martial arts and also competed, but it wasn't enough to make me feel useful.

I do feel that staying at home to take care of their children is an honorable choice for women or men - if that is what they want to do. I just didn't - and don't - feel that I was put on this earth to cook and clean. I was put on this Earth to raise my boys, and I have done that.

Those times basically paved the way for the animosity my wife and I now have between us.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:25 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
I just read the article and went straight to post a response.

What a crock of compost! First of all, correlation does NOT equal causation. One would think something learned in beginning statistics would be common knowledge to a professor at the University of Chicago. Secondly, college educated people have the highest marriage rate in the country today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/op...pagewanted=all

"One reason educated heterosexual women may worry about their marriage prospects today is that overall marriage rates have been slipping since 1980. But they have slipped less for educated women than for anyone else. Furthermore, college-educated women, once they do marry, are much less likely to divorce. As a result, by age 30, and especially at ages 35 and 40, college-educated women are significantly more likely to be married than any other group. And according to calculations by the economist Betsey Stevenson, an educated woman still single at age 40 is much more likely to marry in the next decade than her less educated counterparts."

Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
That why women want SSM, they are getting tired of supporting fat, lazy, dumb husbands.
Sounds like a personal choice problem to me or lack of choice.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,900,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Were they Haitian?

I was unemployed or underemployed for almost 10 years. During much of that time I was a stay-at-home dad. I will admit to you that it was very hard for me to accept that role because I spent years educating myself and working hard to take care of my family. But when I lost my job and my wife's job/business began to boom, it made sense for me to stay home and raise the boys. I enjoyed being with them all day, but it grated on me knowing that I had become a failure professionally. Of course, the wife was quite verbally abusive during this time as well, berating me because I couldn't get anything going in terms of my career or business. And since I was raised to be the breadwinner - the man of the house - my relatives also piled on. I coached sports and martial arts and also competed, but it wasn't enough to make me feel useful.

I do feel that staying at home to take care of their children is an honorable choice for women or men - if that is what they want to do. I just didn't - and don't - feel that I was put on this earth to cook and clean. I was put on this Earth to raise my boys, and I have done that.

Those times basically paved the way for the animosity my wife and I now have between us.
Did you do all the cooking and cleaning or did she help? Imo, the working spouse should help as well. One thing I tell my husband is that his work day doesn't end when he comes home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just read the article and went straight to post a response.

What a crock of compost! First of all, correlation does NOT equal causation. One would think something learned in beginning statistics would be common knowledge to a professor at the University of Chicago. Secondly, college educated people have the highest marriage rate in the country today.
Was it the times writer or the author of the study conflating it? I didn't read deep enough to determine that.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Was it the times writer or the author of the study conflating it? I didn't read deep enough to determine that.
The author of the article is a professor at the U of Ch.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,900,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The author of the article is a professor at the U of Ch.
Ah, how sad.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,987,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Well, one thing is for sure, women can't treat men like men used to treat women. It used to be a saying to keep women at home, dumb, barefoot and pregnant. At least that's what I'd heard men say about women when I was active military. Funny, I'd never looked at it that way, I'd always thought of women as being the brains, and not the brawn.

There are now more women working than men, according to some studies. But the wages women earn is still disparaging among males, according to the economist.

Closing the gap | The Economist

Quote:
Women have made huge progress in the workplace, but still get lower pay and far fewer top jobs than men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies