Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Utah. Now, that is interesting. I wonder how the Latter Day Saint Church feels about scouting now? With the whole new, "embrace the rainbow"...
Well, the LDS Church officially supported this position change, so, I guess that means they feel pretty good about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
It's pretty ironic of the BSA to now say they don't "advocate any social or political position" when they did just that by banning gay scouts and leaders, and now readmitting gay scouts. The horse is out of the barn whether they like it or not.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:52 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by hammertime33

It seems only one "kid", 18 year-old Kenji
Mikesell, wore a BSA uniform to the parade. And for all I know he did seek the
advice of his father.

Also, I don't, and never have met another Scout,
who views the BSA as paramilitary.
Even if you could call it "paramilitary...so what? Our police, army, RCMP and military march in the Pride Parades. If the military can, why not "paramilitary"?
What's with all the butthurt, people? It's all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI2070 View Post
It's not that at all. They disobeyed a direct order from their Scout Master to do it. The U.S. Military has UCMJ to back them up. They don't feel sorry for liberal kids and thier parents who think they can bend the rules to fit their political statements.

Those boys and their parents dishonored the Scouts....

They should be treated accordingly.
I would say they honored the Scouts for their choice is supporting the rights of others. The scouts have already caved. Why make it an issue now? Or is this the attitude they plan to continue displaying? I was in girlscouts. I wouldn't give the leader the right to order them not to wear their uniform when the policy has already gone publlic. It just says they are not being honest.

What I remember is we were to respect others. The negativity of the attitude is certainly not respect.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
[quote=natalie469;29844813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Looks like respect only works one way.

Boy Scouts defy orders, wear uniforms in Utah gay pride parade - U.S. News

Keeping with Scouting tradition feels right for some as well, but political pressures seem to have influenced a change there. This is a rub-it-in-your-face response by activists to changes in official policy, not happy with having won, but going to prove they can do anything they wish in spite of a stated neutral stance by Scouting on involvement in social issues. Next up, singing show tunes around the camp fire.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't get it. What's wrong with singing show tunes. Is that not music??
That was funny on Northern Exposure when Maurice and his love of musicals made him give his record collection away for a while, then got it back when it realized it was stupid to deny himself the music he loved.

The highlighted is NOT funny. The NE episode was meant as a step forward. That is meant as a step back.

Many such songs are well known and might make really good campfire songs.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:37 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI2070 View Post
At least you would have asked your Dad. Sounds like you have more respect for that uniform then the kids who did that do/did now.

That's the part I find disturbing.

That's not your sister's boyfriend's football uniform and class ring you are wearing.......

It's a paramilitary uniform. It should be treated as such.
http://satireworld.com/wp-content/up...04/klinger.jpg

Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You can pick up a scouting uniform at a thrift shop and do what you please with it. There are no "laws" about it and anyone can wear one for any reason. A scout uniform has never been "holy" or "sacred". Come on people.
I agree with you, but I also see the other side of this. It is a private organization and has a right to make its own rules, whether you and I agree with them or not. By wearing the uniform, to me, it was saying "in your face" this isn't the way to gain respect or prove a point. I was a scout leader for many years and I know how proud kids can be, when they finally get their uniforms or earn their badges. Too bad those days are gone..

Old 06-03-2013, 05:36 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,927,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Looks like respect only works one way.

Boy Scouts defy orders, wear uniforms in Utah gay pride parade - U.S. News

Keeping with Scouting tradition feels right for some as well, but political pressures seem to have influenced a change there. This is a rub-it-in-your-face response by activists to changes in official policy, not happy with having won, but going to prove they can do anything they wish in spite of a stated neutral stance by Scouting on involvement in social issues. Next up, singing show tunes around the camp fire.
Selective restrictions..and I don't mean gay. I mean scouts all of a sudden are not to advocate a political or social position?

WTF? The boy scouts are they themselves advocating a social and political positions. Furthermore, the BOA adovcates that scouts learn and earn badges on social and political issues.

What a crock of crap. I'm glad these young men are able to distinguish Bull crude at such an young age.
Hats off to these young men.

Quote:
defying a leader of the youth organization who had said they couldn't do so under the organization's guidelines prohibiting advocating political or social positions.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,427,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Scouting as we know it is slowly dying.
Not so slowly...

Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
at 18 he's no longer a boy scout

http://usscouts.org/advance/boyscout/bsrank1.asp

but is not yet 18 years old.

Last edited by pghquest; 06-03-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies