U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 AM

8,328 posts, read 8,333,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't know what that is supposed to mean in the context of my post.

Understand my livelihood comes from Petroleum.

I am a refinery operator.
So you don't want increased business?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 AM

16,826 posts, read 11,769,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
So am I. The construction industry is temporary.. whether it is housing, infrastructure or pipeline. This isn't news to anybody. It however still doesn't mean that a lot of good folks work in the construction industry and have for years.
So was obama's jobs program where he spent a million$$ for one temp[orary 40 k job.
The new math cuts both ways. Additionally the union member who work on the pipeline traditionally go from job to job, meaning any job they take is temporary as opposed to some guy hired for the Christmas season by Macys'.

Remember the estimates produced to convinve us the 'shovel ready jobs' would employ millions? The obama administration's forte is not mathematics. Obamacare cost projections as another example.

Columbia is a liberal portal of social justice who resides in the pack of wolves that feed off the federal government's granted buffalo herd. University studies are political agneda regurgitation to earn more grant money.

The projection of 35 people is cherry picked and defined narrowly to make political hay.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,873,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Apparently you think those who believe renewable energy is going to supplant Big Oil any time soon are.

I'd wager those who invested in oil are doing better than those who went into solar.
Because its all about the dollars.... We'll clean up later.

Renewable energy isn't profitable. That's why there's such a fight about going to it... I mean where's the money in a panel that you set up and then continue to collect energy?

Oil is $$$ ... We'll deal with the consequences later. Never claimed otherwise.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:14 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,091,611 times
Quote:
Yes it will create thousands of temporary jobs and very few permanent jobs, but that has been known for years, only in the fever swamps of conservative fantasyland is this surprising or new information.

It continues to be under appreciated just how radical the conservative party has become in its rejection of objective reality.

It is truly amazing the level of make believe that exists in much of conservative policy discussions.
Why is it that people like you, mostly on the left, just cannot see the big picture? To you guys, everything is static, you cannot open your minds to see all of the jobs and productivity that spin off of the oil being delivered, processed, sold and used. All you see is a static picture of oil going from point A to B and that is where you imagination it all ends.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 AM

8,399 posts, read 5,294,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
So you don't want increased business?
This won't increase business. First off a new oil refinery hasn't been built in this nation in decades.

US refiners can't keep up with US demand, more Crude oil won't change that reality.

In fact, Keystone won't be good for business for the individual refinery where I am employed.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 AM

23,860 posts, read 11,869,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
No, I don't even need to leave oil if we wish to discuss environmental impacts... I take issue with a stupid, loaded term like "environazi" and thought I'd point out exactly what these "environazis" are trying to avoid... The fact that you insist on the label while trying to throw out a legit example why "environazis" are concerned suggests its you that lacks a position of defense.

Makes me pretty sure that you are one who likes to dabble in a bit of hyperbole. As though throwing the word "nazi" on the end of something legitimately demonizes anyone who might disagree with your point? You know who "nazis" are I assume? I'll give you that much credit at least.

That said, I personally agree that the pipeline is a safer way to transport if we, indeed, need to transport it down the middle of our country in the first place.... The tar sands themselves are an environmental nightmare, but far be it for me to criticize Canada for doing what they want to do on their own land...
Regardless of what the envirowhackos (happy?) say about the tar sands, they will be mined and the oil extracted. The best thing for the US is to transport it by pipeline but all the idiots don't want to build the pipeline of which the Bakken field will benefit. They seem to want to transport it by rail or road. That is the height of stupidity. And I drive trains for Mr. Buffet and I know the hazards of crude oil tanker cars.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Why is it that people like you, mostly on the left, just cannot see the big picture? To you guys, everything is static, you cannot open your minds to see all of the jobs and productivity that spin off of the oil being delivered, processed, sold and used. All you see is a static picture of oil going from point A to B and that is where you imagination it all ends.
I see reality, and the reality is that it won't produce many permanent jobs. And this reality has been known and discussed for many years now. This is not some new revelation. It is what was already known.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Tomayto/Tomahto ....

Again, I do buy the research that the pipeline is probably the lesser of two evils if we assume that this oil must be transported to the Gulf Coast in the first place....

The post I was responding to showed pipelines built all over the U.S. and even a couple running down the middle of the country where the proposed XL pipeline would supposedly run, so I simply asked why we need another one?
We do need to build new pipelines, because technology in pipeline designs and safety features is not static either. This new pipeline will be state of the art, and hopefully we can use this pipeline to retire some older ones. Or we can just ship the oil overland.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I see reality, and the reality is that it won't produce many permanent jobs. And this reality has been known and discussed for many years now. This is not some new revelation. It is what was already known.
It's infrastructure, do you get that? Building a new electrical power line to move more electricity, or expanding a freeway to handle more traffic, or a building a faster computer processor do not produce many permanent jobs either.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's infrastructure, do you get that? Building a new electrical power line to move more electricity, or expanding a freeway to handle more traffic, or a building a faster computer processor do not produce many permanent jobs either.
That's called the construction phase of Keystone and that is where all of those temporary jobs come from in the report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies