Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,258,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Here's some reality for you...

Makes one wonder why we need ANOTHER pipeline...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,786,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
That's like saying a 10,000 acre farm is no big deal because it will only create 35 permanent jobs. You completely disregard the fact that oil, like food, is the life blood of our nation. That oil is not static, it does not simply empty into the refineries in Texas and then disappear.
Exactly . You read what he said - he said "Jobs" and I said "permanent new jobs" and that's your argument. I get what you are saying. Farms are like him yakking about something I never said. He didn't even read the thread title. He said something completely opposite. Just like little acorn did above. I know they didn't read the PDFs. Because they're arguing against something ....both said "jobs". Yeah, those are temporary jobs, and hey , LOOK UP at the thread title ... woah.. that says permanent new... WAIT LOOK AT THE PDF'S

Generally, the largest economic impacts of pipelines
occur during construction rather than operations.
Once in place, the labor requirements for pipeline
operations are relatively minor. Operation of the
proposed Project would generate 35 permanent and
15 temporary jobs, primarily for routine inspections,
maintenance, and repairs.
Based on this estimate,
routine operation of the proposed Pipeline would
have negligible socioeconomic impacts.

WHY DANG<

Say it with me everyone!!!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Most important part of the study is page 39.

Read that first.
That is a good one, because there is no page 39. HA HA! I AM COMEDY.

However the other PDF does show a few thousand temporary construction jobs will be created.

So you guys are arguing against something I never said. (I.e there won't be any temporay jobs created or economic impact. Read back, go ahead, never said it.)

Which is hilarious. Or really weird.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,776,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I never suggested that the American people were stupid.... They know what side of the bread is buttered...

Now point me to the people with these 401Ks that make anywhere CLOSE to the profit margin that Exxon is raking in...
Exxon has a profit margin of about 8.5%, apple on the other hand has a profit margin of 23%. You might want to rethink your posetion on the "profit margin" Exxon is raking in.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,776,252 times
Quote:
Wanna roll out unemployment figures from the last report here and compare them to those during the Great Depression?
We can talk about unemployment, under employment and those leaving the job market because benifits ran out if you want.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,271,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Here's some reality for you...
I don't know what that is supposed to mean in the context of my post.

Understand my livelihood comes from Petroleum.

I am a refinery operator.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We can talk about unemployment, under employment and those leaving the job market because benifits ran out if you want.
....And XL Pipeline as the panacea.

Listen, while I get that the environmental impact of the pipeline is overblown, the point of this thread is that the supposed economic windfall that it will supposedly provide is, likewise, overblown..

Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,636,508 times
Quote:
Makes one wonder why we need ANOTHER pipeline...
Don't then, we will just use trucks and trains to pollute the planet instead, by hauling the oil 800 miles overland, because Obama refuses to build the pipeline.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't know what that is supposed to mean in the context of my post.

Understand my livelihood comes from Petroleum.

I am a refinery operator.
I was going to go for a Vaseline joke here, but figured it was probably too obvious..

Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Don't then, we will just use trucks and trains to pollute the planet instead, by hauling the oil 800 miles overland, because Obama refuses to build the pipeline.
Tomayto/Tomahto ....

Again, I do buy the research that the pipeline is probably the lesser of two evils if we assume that this oil must be transported to the Gulf Coast in the first place....

The post I was responding to showed pipelines built all over the U.S. and even a couple running down the middle of the country where the proposed XL pipeline would supposedly run, so I simply asked why we need another one?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM

12,888 posts, read 13,198,723 times
Quote:
I never suggested that the American people were stupid.... They know what side of the bread is buttered...

Now point me to the people with these 401Ks that make anywhere CLOSE to the profit margin that Exxon is raking in...
Apparently you think those who believe renewable energy is going to supplant Big Oil any time soon are.

I'd wager those who invested in oil are doing better than those who went into solar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies