Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,408,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You left out that rape and sexual assault crimes have been in decline in the United States....
Post some non-media biased stats to qualify your claim.

I say you need to do some research.

Quote:
Two films depicting the brutal dismemberment of men and women were discovered in the Bridgeport home of a nurse charged with kidnapping and murdering his college-student girlfriend.

"Absolute Death and other Strange Occurrences," and "Death: the Final Journey, volume five," were found by State Police during a recent search of Jermain Richards' Beardsley Park Terrace home, according to a search warrant unsealed Monday.
Snuff films found in accused killer's home - Connecticut Post: 6-17-2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:04 AM

You post a page credited with being associated with college news.

A blog.

and a press release - with stats that end in 2005 ( 8 years ago ).

Quote:
– From 1995 to 2005, sexual violence against U.S. female residents age 12 or older
declined 64 percent from 5.0 per 1,000 females to 1.8, and (they claim) remained unchanged through 2010, according
to a report, Female Victims of Sexual Violence, 1994-2010, released today by the Justice Department’s
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS).
O.K.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:05 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,444,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You post a page credited with being associated with college news.

O.K.

I posted 3 links...

Whats the point of complaining about rape when you're just going to be in denial when you find out rape is in decline?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I posted 3 links...

Whats the point of complaining about rape when you're just going to be in denial when you find out rape is in decline?
Most rape goes UNREPORTED.

So how can you make any claim at all?

All those stats you presented are what is REPORTED.

PERIOD.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,444,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Most rape goes UNREPORTED.

So how can you make any claim at all?

All those stats you presented are what is REPORTED.

PERIOD.
Okay so I can't share that reported rape cases sharply decline?
Thought that would be good news? Lol.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,465,295 times
I've known a number of people sexually assaulted. Some from incest. Both males and females. Like any other trauma there seems to be vary degrees to the trauma. Most seem to adjust back to life well and find a place to put their pain psychologically, to carry on with daily life.

I think the media tends to sensationalize PTSD for combat and rape. Most don't turn into nut and basket cases like the media presents. And what I was told in the VA is that very few people develop PTSD--at least long term.

Sex is an issue that gets everyone excited anyways.

And any liberal that claims "sex is no big deal" always get extra animated over it like an Evangelical over certain issues pertaining to sex. I doubt many boxers will be traumatized for life if some guy punches them in the face many times outside the ring when they didn't ask for it or say "yes" to getting punched repeatedly. In part, because they're used to getting punched in the face. Sex is more intimate though. That's why people of traditional values have always said, "sex is a big deal."

And sex is a big deal. Even consensual sex comes with a price.

The issue of rape--specifically with a female's vagina--seems to me to draw from a religious narrative similar to how Genesis drew from Babylonian narratives. The vagina as sacred, especially on "wives" and "virgins" or peoples "sisters," certainly does not draw from a narrative of evolution of animals or observing humping dogs or male chimpanzees beat up female chimpanzees. Chimps our closest relatives we say.

Sex is probably best taken place in marriage with consent by both. The further away one gets from that paradigm of stability for sexual expression, perhaps the increased costs and risks of emotional and psychological trauma.

Incest and brutal beatings involved in rape or gang rapes strike me as some of the most traumatic forms of sexual abuse and rape. Many people in those kinds of cases can be left severely, emotionally and psychologically damaged for life.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:13 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,793,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
We're talking about actual rapes here, not women who falsely accuse.
False accusations are extremely rare. Just the fact that someone would bring up this aspect hints of a prejudice against woman. To put this in emotional terms - If a family member was raped by some mindless hooligan - I don't know if I could control my behavior and stay with in the confines of the law...I would not fatally harm the perpetrator...but I might make it a point that they could not ever function again sexually. Just the whole idea of some creep making another person helpless and send terror through their being makes me sick and very very angry.

Rape has been used systemically during war and revolution to destroy a society..It can destroy a whole nation or an individual...It is a vile weapon that brings about a dysfunctional human being....It is all about removing all power and dignity from a person...It just makes me so angry that there are some idiots - some in the judiciary and within law enforcement who quietly think "She deserved it and had it coming" OR "She must have enjoyed it - what's the harm" - Some males have no concept of how horrific rape is...they would if they were raped...

Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,240,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
False accusations are extremely rare. Just the fact that someone would bring up this aspect hints of a prejudice against woman. To put this in emotional terms - If a family member was raped by some mindless hooligan - I don't know if I could control my behavior and stay with in the confines of the law...I would not fatally harm the perpetrator...but I might make it a point that they could not ever function again sexually. Just the whole idea of some creep making another person helpless and send terror through their being makes me sick and very very angry.

Rape has been used systemically during war and revolution to destroy a society..It can destroy a whole nation or an individual...It is a vile weapon that brings about a dysfunctional human being....It is all about removing all power and dignity from a person...It just makes me so angry that there are some idiots - some in the judiciary and within law enforcement who quietly think "She deserved it and had it coming" OR "She must have enjoyed it - what's the harm" - Some males have no concept of how horrific rape is...they would if they were raped...
Rare? False rape accusations are pretty common if you look at the data. Even if we only look at convictions, false accusations/wrongly convicted make up 25% of cases.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:29 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,793,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Rare? False rape accusations are pretty common if you look at the data. Even if we only look at convictions, false accusations/wrongly convicted make up 25% of cases.
So - what do these stats have to do with the actual crime? Are we to ignore all accusations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies