Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Narcissitic people like to control people (Like liberals and politicians). Good people find joy in empowering others. My friend is a firearms instructor. He finds no greater joy than teaching and empowering women through the proper use of firearms. Feeling sorry for somebody after they are victimized might make you feel better by expressing words of sympathy, but the crime is already done. Get more firearms in the hands of women and train them properly.
Like liberals and politicians? This is clearly a shot at liberals that is incorrect and unnecessary. Republicans, the GOP and right wing conservatives have a very obvious war on woman. But in an effort to not steer this towards a political debate, I'll avoid further comment.

The problem is, most of the male population still see's woman as commodities. Not as people. This is getting better as more of us that see females as equals are growing. Unfortunately, you still have a lot of people stuck in time. I think that the country demonizing sex plays a significant role as well.

I have several female relatives that were raped. None of them were in "bad areas". They were taken advantage of by individuals who were trusted. 3 cases were at the hands of a Stepfather in their own homes. The people that would or do commit rape aren't labeled. It's not like you can't easily spot them. They tend to be "nice guys", well liked.
On the flip side, there is a serious issue of "false rape" claims. You can't diminish this. It may lack the mental terror and physical pain of actual rape temporarily, but it can take away a person's life. And let's face it. If you are a white collar, non physically imposing, type person, you're going to be at the bottom in prison. You can be alpha male all day long in the real world. But in prison, you're going to be someone's lady. And said person who never raped anyone is now a rape victim in prison for a crime they didn't commit. Even if they get off as not guilty and are able to prove the person falsy claimed rape, their lives are usually ruined. So both are horrible problems.

Just goes to show that both sexes can be very very deceiving. The whole thing is horrific and scary. It's very depressing to know that there are so many people are willing to commit heinous acts. As if navigating life's obstacles weren't difficult enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post

Specious logic: 98% of rape victims are female.
OP, I sense that you are reacting to a recent "sensitizing" experience. I presume this happened as part of a college course you were required to take. If so, then you are reacting precisely as the "experience" was designed to cause you to react.

I believe you should be aware of the objectives of the Frankfurt School. This was a collective of "German" Marxists, intent upon destroying the Western World. Radical Feminism is being used as a tool, for destroying the underpinnings of what had only recently emerged as a wonderful new civilization (The Western Democracies). Making people loathe themselves, their parents, their culture... nothing new. Hollywood and the publishing industry have been pushing the Frankfurt School Agenda since the Thirties. And once Academia in America experienced a demographic shift, teachings within the universities began to be filtered to fit a picture of the world which would support (or, at least not contradict) the worldview the Frankfurt School wanted to impose.

If this all sounds Orwellian to you, that is not coincidental. Orwell was one of the first to raise the alarm against the Marxist lie machine. Unfortunately, the Marxists have simply incorporated his writings into their script. '1984' may have actually gotten them over a conceptual hurdle or two. He seems to have given them ideas.

Infiltrating the Western Democracies with less-than-ideal 'others' was also a part of the plan. This is nothing new. It is an ancient tool, whereby a few can subjugate and rule many. I have studied the history of Sicily. Thousands of years ago, those who would rule the island transported new subject peoples to the island, in order to fragment the solidarity of the people there: making the island easier to rule and exploit.

Today, inserted among the traditional populations of the Western Democracies, are others, who behave quite differently from traditional Westerners. There weren't enough problems, you see. So, problems had to be imported. Now, there are problems.

But who is being made to feel guilty about the problems? YOU ARE!!!! Your innate altruism is being exploited. You are made to feel guilt over the actions of others. "OUR Rape Culture" ???

I grew up in a real "rape culture". I am not white. I grew up in a forgotten corner of Mississippi, from which the whites, if they had ever had any significant presence there, had largely moved away. Most everybody was some sort of off-white mix. There were Melungeons, there were Mulattos, and most people were an Elvis-like mix of Native American and a bit of white (white 'indentured servants', who'd escaped into the hinterlands, and come to intermarry with Indians). Anyway, the hot football studs in the high school would routinely take young girls out into the woods for "deflowering". Being football heroes, of course, these 'studs' were sacred and untouchable. Anyway, the "popular girls" would be along on these little jaunts, and would be in on getting the young girls drunk. The "popular girls" would hold clothing over the young girls' mouths, to muffle their screams, during the "big moment". (lucky for me, I was too ugly to be considered)

This had nothing to do with "Young, White Males" like you. But accounts of events and subcultures like these are somehow being repackaged and used to make YOU feel guilty.

If 'fraternities' are raping females, it is my guess that they are the sort which still feature extreme hazing, and whose members are apt to get 'branded'. We're not talking about a bunch of blonds, here. And we're not talking about colleges which are particularly elite. In fact, I suspect that these colleges are repeatedly in peril of losing their accreditation. That, of course, makes not such a good story. So, it is made to seem that Ivy League, and near-Ivy schools like DUKE http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...udge-says.html , are rife with Fraternity Gang Rape.

As for the Male Rape phenomenon: believe it! Someone I know was in a locker room at a large gym. There were several rooms for men, at that particular gym, and he was listening to a very loud conversation in an adjacent room. A prison warden was describing (to an ultra-hottie, to whom, I'm guessing, he was probably strongly attracted, in a "down low" kinda way...), at length, male-on-male rape at his prison. My source came away with the impression that the Warden and the guards derived considerable entertainment (if not titillation) from the rapes happening under their noses, and that they were subtly complicit, to some degree. I don't think there were many "white males" in on either the rapin', or the allowing of the rapin'.

Stop allowing others to make you feel guilty for things you did not do. It is not your 'culture of rape'.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-03-2013 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,680 times
It is always funny watching the pro/anti arguments on this topic. Both sides go far over the top. Yawn... nothing I haven't seen a thousand times, though.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
lol feminists are always good for a chuckle. I've been called a rapist for having drunken sex in college.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:22 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Speaking as a straight (not that this should matter), healthy young male myself, recent news events (Steubenville, etc) and some research on polls and surveys have made me even more sickened by the brutal callousness with which male and female rape victims are treated by society today. I've never experienced sexual assault, nor do I have any family members/friends that I know have undergone such an experience, but I can emphasize with how horrifying of an experience a rape must be. What must feel even worse, however, is when your community refuses to believe or care about your trauma. It's disgusting, to say the least.

A large variety of independent studies indicate that as many as 1 in 5 women have been raped in their lifetime and as many as 8% of college males, primarily fraternity members and athletes, have admitted to attempting or committing rape. I don't think many people, particularly men, understand just how traumatic an experience rape is. Upwards of 35% of rape victims report contemplating suicide following their experience, and the level of post traumatic stress in rape victims is higher than among war veterans. Even more dreadful is the report that only 3-6% of rapists are ever convicted for their crimes, thanks to a combination of police incompetence and a disturbing quantity of rape apologists.

With this in mind, the disgusting kneejerk reaction of your typical misogynist that the woman should be help responsible for <insert arbitrary reason here> is the equivalent of telling a young boy that he deserved to watch his parents get burned alive in a house fire because he threw out his vegetables, or telling a torture victim that he deserved his experience because he didn't wash his hands. What kind of a sociopath thinks that drinking a little too much on the night means you deserve to suffer a lifelong, traumatic experience?

I'm usually an optimist, but holy ****. Holy ****.
"Our Culture" Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

This is a multi-cultural society. So in MY culture rape is not a problem. Some other trash culture I would imagine.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:31 PM

775 posts, read 740,693 times
I find it rather odd that conservatives are usually the group that most strongly argues for harsh justice for criminals, and are typically the least likely to give suspects the benefit of the doubt, and yet the reverse is true when it comes to crimes of a sexual nature. Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You haven't posted the methodology to a single study yet.
National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS)|Funded Programs|Violence Prevention|Injury|CDC

In the link above are documents detailing methodology and findings of a well funded study conducted by a reputable, internationally recognized organization.

If you can spot any methodology errors or objectivity issues, feel free to report back to me.

Quote:
Who in this thread has claimed to be pro-rape or anti-woman? No one.
Given that I'm clearly commenting on the US population as a whole, and not on the specific population sample that is city data forums, what's your point?

Quote:
Only a complete idiot would believe that number.
Is this a joke? Do you actually find the claim that the vast majority of rape victims are female to be difficult to believe? Given that most rapists are men, most men are heterosexual, and females tend to be less capable of physically fending off an assailant, I shouldn't even have to debate you on this point. Please, quit grasping at straws.

Also, I find it rather unsettling that you immediately rise to the occasion to debate anyone who even remotely criticizes the depiction and handling of rape, and yet are so passionately empathetic about the rape of convicted felons. Whenever somebody points out the lack of empathy that exists for rape victims, you just shrug your shoulders and rapidly change the subject; but with prison rape, oh no, the horror, the horror!

Quote:
Women are better-protected than men as it is, both de jure and de facto. Just look at homocides and assaults.
No relevance to sexual assault. Stop throwing red herrings to continue your delusion that you belong to an oppressed male gender.

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but men at-large aren't rapists.
Then stop demonstrating a protective sentiment towards rapists, as if you had to protect them in the name of the male gender.

Last edited by Sci Fi Fan; 06-03-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
OP, I sense that you are reacting to a recent "sensitizing" experience. I presume this happened as part of a college course you were required to take. If so, then you are reacting precisely as the "experience" was designed to cause you to react.
Wrong, and wrong.

Quote:
This was a collective of "German" Marxists, intent upon destroying the Western World.
Interesting. Upon reading your post's first paragraph, I immediately deduced that you were a conservative, and voila!

Quote:
Radical Feminism is being used as a tool, for destroying the underpinnings of what had only recently emerged as a wonderful new civilization
Are you aware that it is only a result of "radical feminism" that women, or minorities, are even allowed to vote? Are you aware that the mere notion that women should be allowed to pursue careers in math and science was deemed a "radical feminist" notion by your ideological ancestors a century or two prior?

Perhaps this "radical feminism" would not have caught such wide popular appeal if the conservatives of the era offered an empathetic alternative, rather than adamantly holding that husbands can rape their wives and will and that it is impossible for a "good girl" to be raped. Wrong side of history then, wrong side of history now, same bratty name calling tactics.

Quote:

Making people loathe themselves, their parents, their culture... nothing new. Hollywood and the publishing industry have been pushing the Frankfurt School Agenda since the Thirties. And once Academia in America experienced a demographic shift, teachings within the universities began to be filtered to fit a picture of the world which would support (or, at least not contradict) the worldview the Frankfurt School wanted to impose.
Which happened to coincide with the recognition of inter-marital rape as a crime and the first serious influx of women in academic and managerial fields. Where were the conservatives of the era? Indignant and butthurt over "radical feminism" destroying "the underpinning" of our "great western civilization".

Somewhere along the line, some men decided that the definition of "manly" was "whine like a spoiled brat when someone criticizes your kind".

Quote:
This had nothing to do with "Young, White Males" like you. But accounts of events and subcultures like these are somehow being repackaged and used to make YOU feel guilty.
I'm not white.

Quote:
Stop allowing others to make you feel guilty for things you did not do. It is not your 'culture of rape'.
Sorry bud, the world doesn't work that way. Poverty might not exist in my culture; it doesn't mean I don't have to work.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
I find it rather odd that conservatives are usually the group that most strongly argues for harsh justice for criminals, and are typically the least likely to give suspects the benefit of the doubt, and yet the reverse is true when it comes to crimes of a sexual nature. Huh.

I've noticed this as well. It's just more evidence that conservatives truly do have it in for women.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Another question to apologists: why does the question of whether or not the woman is partially responsible for the crime even remotely relevant? Would you acquit a mugger because his target was walking absently walking in a high crime neighborhood after dark? Would you acquit a murderer because his victim did not own a firearm for defense? Would you acquit an armed robber because the victims didn't install a security system in their house? Is a horrifying, traumatic experience a just "punishment" for having too much to drink one night? (note that men typically don't face such a risk for the same action)

Now would be the time where the conservatives would go on to ramble about "personal responsibility", as if they forget that the rapist must have personal responsibility as well.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS)|Funded Programs|Violence Prevention|Injury|CDC

In the link above are documents detailing methodology and findings of a well funded study conducted by a reputable, internationally recognized organization.

If you can spot any methodology errors or objectivity issues, feel free to report back to me.
Well just off the bat -- the data includes "Psychological aggression", which is not rape.

It also doesn't include anyone in prison, which makes it pretty much useless in measuring male rape.

Quote:
Do you actually find the claim that the vast majority of rape victims are female to be difficult to believe?
Yes, if your results say 98% you obviously aren't doing a good job of counting prison rape.

Quote:
Given that most rapists are men, most men are heterosexual, and females tend to be less capable of physically fending off an assailant, I shouldn't even have to debate you on this point.
But most men aren't rapists, and most heterosexuals aren't rapists. Logic obviously ain't your strong point.

Bottom line:

People like you want to take perfectly normal NON-rapists, who get accused of rape, and consider them guilty until proven innocent.

If someone points out -- "Hey, some of these people are innocent" -- y'all respond, "No , it's not possible, women don't file false reports." It's absurd.

And I'll tell you how they get these bizarre statistics, that lead to people like you thinking "20% of women have been raped." They go ask college-aged white middle class American women if they've ever had "psychological aggression from a partner", and they respond yes, and somehow y'all interpret that as: "Well they've all been raped, looks like men are a bunch of rapists!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies