U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Libertarians, Pro life or pro choice
Pro life 13 38.24%
Pro choice 21 61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 AM
 
6,335 posts, read 4,407,764 times
Reputation: 1640

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Exactly, anti-choicers want to control the sexual behavior of women, and they have some notion that GOD will punish America if American women are allowed to get abortions legally.
In the end, the vast majority of pro-lifers are hypocrites.

In my entire life I've met a handful who are really pro-life, and I mean anti-death penalty, anti-war, pro-poor children, etc...

 
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,976 posts, read 7,727,294 times
Reputation: 5670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Exactly, anti-choicers want to control the sexual behavior of women, and they have some notion that GOD will punish America if American women are allowed to get abortions legally.
I know a lot of people who are pro-life and atheist. It has nothing to do with religion for them, it is simply that they believe all life should have a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
In the end, the vast majority of pro-lifers are hypocrites.

In my entire life I've met a handful who are really pro-life, and I mean anti-death penalty, anti-war, pro-poor children, etc...
The vast majority of people are hypocrites. Pro-life, pro-choice, pro-whatever doesn't matter. For any set of beliefs, it is possible to find a situation that will cause the majority of people to go against their stated position.

Back on topic, I honestly don't have an opinion either way on the pro-life/pro-choice question. It isn't my job to tell anyone else how to live their lives.
 
Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 AM
 
8,399 posts, read 5,277,312 times
Reputation: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I know a lot of people who are pro-life and atheist. It has nothing to do with religion for them, it is simply that they believe all life should have a chance.



The vast majority of people are hypocrites. Pro-life, pro-choice, pro-whatever doesn't matter. For any set of beliefs, it is possible to find a situation that will cause the majority of people to go against their stated position.

Back on topic, I honestly don't have an opinion either way on the pro-life/pro-choice question. It isn't my job to tell anyone else how to live their lives.
All life should have a chance is meaningless and very few people actually believe this.

Most human beings think some lives should end and not as the result of disease or natural causes, but as the result of human decisions that those people's lives end.

There are very few pro lifers. Anti-choicers fall in two camps, people who want to control the sexual behavior of women, or/and they believe that allowing American women access to legal abortions will cause GOD to punish America.
 
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM
 
4,414 posts, read 3,340,445 times
Reputation: 2320
A great example of why libertarian is barely an ethos, much less any sort of realistic policy basis or political system.
 
Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,976 posts, read 7,727,294 times
Reputation: 5670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
All life should have a chance is meaningless and very few people actually believe this.

Most human beings think some lives should end and not as the result of disease or natural causes, but as the result of human decisions that those people's lives end.

There are very few pro lifers. Anti-choicers fall in two camps, people who want to control the sexual behavior of women, or/and they believe that allowing American women access to legal abortions will cause GOD to punish America.
I'm relating the data that I have gleaned from conversations with my friends and relatives about their views on the abortion issue. I'm sorry if their opinions don't meet your criteria, or run contrary to your beliefs, but your rigid ideological view of what pro-lifers believe isn't relevant to their opinions. Unless, that is, you can show us all your psychology PHD and/or proof that you have somehow learned to tap into the collective consciousness and read minds. Which is it, do you have a degree in psychology and the ability to read minds, or are you just spewing your ideological views in the hopes that saying it enough will make it true?
 
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
555 posts, read 1,086,581 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
A great example of why libertarian is barely an ethos, much less any sort of realistic policy basis or political system.
Not all liberals agree on everything. Not all conservatives agree on everything. Not all communists agree on everything.

Why should libertarians somehow be the only group that never has any disputes?
 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
 
2,085 posts, read 1,363,475 times
Reputation: 1401
Pro-life. IMO the unborn's right to life takes precedence over a woman's right to choose (unless raped, of course). Everyone knows what the end result of sex is, so there should be no excuse for 3,000 abortions each day in American when birth control is so readily available (I understand that birth control sometimes fails; no need to mention). That being said, it needs to be remain legal to protect women who would suffer or die in back alley, illegal abortions if it was criminalized.

Ending an innocent, growing human life is something that should occur when no other option exists. I'm also opposed to capital punishment, FYI. Immediate mortal danger/self defense is the only instance I consider killing to be a civilized reason for ending a human life.
 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM
 
8,399 posts, read 5,277,312 times
Reputation: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'm relating the data that I have gleaned from conversations with my friends and relatives about their views on the abortion issue. I'm sorry if their opinions don't meet your criteria, or run contrary to your beliefs, but your rigid ideological view of what pro-lifers believe isn't relevant to their opinions. Unless, that is, you can show us all your psychology PHD and/or proof that you have somehow learned to tap into the collective consciousness and read minds. Which is it, do you have a degree in psychology and the ability to read minds, or are you just spewing your ideological views in the hopes that saying it enough will make it true?
Lol, this isn't about me.

I arrived at my conclusions about anti-choicers by reading to and listening to anti-choicers discuss the issue and answer questions.

Your friends are irrelevant. If you want to discuss your atheist anti choice friends and their beliefs then I suggest you do just that, but I don't know them.

Almost universally anti-choicers are extreme right christians. They seek to limit access to contraception. They seek to eliminate access to abortion, and they favor almost little to no government spending for the babies that will be born as a result of their policies positions.

Anti-choicers are open about wanting to control the sexual behavior of women and they are open about their belief that allowing American women access to abortions in their view will lead to GOD punishing America.
 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
 
Location: In your head, rent free
14,082 posts, read 7,603,263 times
Reputation: 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't care, as long as the government isn't paying for it....
Bingo.
 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,157,123 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
One can't be libertarian and pro nanny state.

Stopping the killing of a person is not "nanny state."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top