Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The Movement attracted millions. Of course there's going to be those incidences. There were also tons of negative press about the Tea Party leaders as well.

But either way, keep getting raped by the banks and corporations. You can lead a horse to water...
I have a mortgage at a rate I can afford thanks to the work of banks. I have a job thanks to corporations. I have a car that I can afford thanks to banks that was built thanks to corporations.

I am not sure how any of that is 'getting raped'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
The movement was not effective, nor will it be this time around. Our country is in thrall to the banks and unless politicians stop being the high priests of mammon everything will stay the same. Money trumps all.
"was" it never "was" the movement never left, and I think it was very effective as a starting point that has been slowly gaining strength, if a person has not been active in the past year or so I know it would be easy to say it went away, it certainly does not get coverage from the main stream corporate news media but to quote Mark Twain "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

The term Occupy is just a word to describe the movement which is actually an extension of the Civil Rights Movement but yes many people use the word "Occupy" now to identify the movement.

If it is helpful to now and then to unfold the Occupy Banners and to reoccupy the parks so be it, it is only a tactic.
There were many lessons to be learned over the past several years, hopefully the movement which is a people's movement has learned from the past and will be even more effective.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There are a lot of good points to be made by OWS but this camping out in parks isn't doing it. The part of any "movement" that attracts people is the idea of being part of something...and if you can annoy people in the process all the better. It doesn't matter who, it's the getting away with something, neener neener, you can't do anything to me attitude. THAT is what this is mostly about and the folks who are attracted to this usually come with plenty of baggage. Hate to say it but it's true.
Under Clinton the repeal of Glass Steegal took place. I wonder how many of those anti-wall st marchers would know a Democrat enabled Wall st to run with unchained greed.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You do know that most of the things OWS protests against was brought to us by the Clinton Admin right? What's funny is that if you asked OWSers their opinion of Bill Clinton, most would say how great he was/is. LMAO!!!!!!
And exactly how many OWS protesters have you interviewed or are you just talking out of your *** like so many others here.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The only thing that pleases me is when the House of Cards created by the international financial gamblers collapses they will have a lot further to fall than most of us or the OWS protesters. After it all falls apart maybe we can have a jubalee and start over?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Those people should be made to bathe and clothe themselves in something resembling clothing and not rags.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
OWS slept on the ground and in tents for months all around the country, that's some devotion. The teabaggers on the other hand can only handle a few hours at the events they were bussed in to, then had to run home to watch fox and change their diapers.
Actually there are tea partiers who attended OWS protests. Ron Paul wanted to see the two work together.

I think the traditional Ron Paul tea partiers have some things in common with OWS, but not the Sarah Palin fundamentalists tea partiers, thats a different story

Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
But either way, keep getting raped by the banks and corporations. You can lead a horse to water...
That's better than getting raped in a tent in Zucotti Park by some OWS nut job.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have a mortgage at a rate I can afford thanks to the work of banks. I have a job thanks to corporations. I have a car that I can afford thanks to banks that was built thanks to corporations.

I am not sure how any of that is 'getting raped'.
Your not getting raped, your supporting the criminal.

One Reason Foreclosures Taking Longer, Bank Errors Found To Be More Widespread

World Bank Insider Blows Whistle on Corruption, Federal Reserve | Global Research

A former insider at the World Bank, ex-Senior Counsel Karen Hudes, says the global financial system is dominated by a small group of corrupt, power-hungry figures centered around the privately owned U.S. Federal Reserve.

The network has seized control of the media to cover up its crimes, too, she explained. In an interview with The New American, Hudes said that when she tried to blow the whistle on multiple problems at the World Bank, she was fired for her efforts. Now, along with a network of fellow whistleblowers, Hudes is determined to expose and end the corruption. And she is confident of success.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Yep, some people just won't get it til it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies