Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Let's see how long it takes conservatives to admit that it was mostly the conservative justices that voted yes.
Justices Breyer and Kennedy are conservatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I'm with Scalia on this. DNA is much much more than a fingerprint or picture.
It's not like they can take your DNA and analyze it for traits that are undesirable by the government or use it for death panels if they know you aren't going to live much longer anyway.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:22 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I agree, I don't even know why we got a Bill of Rights to begin with.
Me either. Since innocent people don't have anything to fear, I believe the government should be allowed to implant tracking devices into citizens so that they can monitor them at all times. Government should also install surveillance (video and audio) in all public spaces in order to prevent crime and, in case crime occurs, to easily identify and catch the perpetrators. Since the perps already have tracking devices implanted, there will be no longer any need for detective work, car chases, or physically fit cops.

This, in turn, improves public safety and tremendously reduces the costs associated with having crime, solving crime, and arresting perpetrators.

Since government is inherently good, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Abuse might happen, but we'll quickly nip it in the butt.

All of us innocent people will be much safer. How could anyone be opposed to this?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Let's see how long it takes conservatives to admit that it was mostly the conservative justices that voted yes. There are 5 conservative judges and 4 of them voted for this law that is 80% of them.

There are 4 liberal judges and 3 of them voted against it that is 75% of them

conservatives in general support giving more power to police officers and the state to surveil, arrest, detain, lie to, etc and always have. This is why conservatives enthusiastically supported giving GWB those war powers to fight the war on terror.

conservatives are not for smaller government.

The decision sounds terrible.
I'll admit it. It's a shame just like Roe V Wade.

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
and so it passes I agree with you
don't you usually?

it's not like i'm some liberal or anything nasty like that..

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Justices Breyer and Kennedy are conservatives?
Ginsburg was a dissenter, with Scalia.

Routine DNA Testing After Arrest Upheld by Top U.S. Court - Bloomberg
Quote:
The ruling produced an unusual alignment, with Justice Stephen Breyer, a Democratic appointee, joining Kennedy and three other Republican-appointed members of the court in the majority. Justices Antonin Scalia, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan dissented.
And Kennedy is a Reagan appointee.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
If this was unreasonable, sure. However, it is not.
Explain, please.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I agree with Kennedy, a cheek swab of the arrestee DNA is, like fingerprinting, which is not unreasonable search. I don't believe a cotton swab is any more intrusive than a fingerprint.
Things can be done with your DNA that cannot be done with your fingerprints or iris.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:30 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Explain, please.
I seriously don't see what's unreasonable about a cheek swab and keeping your DNA on file just like fingerprints. It's on the same level in my opinion.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:31 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Taking a sample to determine if you're involved in a crime, in my opinion is reasonable. Keeping that DNA info on file after you're found to NOT be involved is the problem. That info should immediately be destroyed if you're cleared of wrong doing.
Monsanto WANTS your DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies