Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Thanks, it bothers me.

Since the 1960's, the US has let the police become more militarized and aggressive against citizens. We allow the police to hold people for 2 or 3 days without charging them. We allow the police to lie to defendants. We allow the police to stop and frisk. We allow the police to go to areas and basically stop people fitting a certain racial profile. We have SWAT teams and very high powered weapons, stun guns can maim and kill and are used regularly.

This thing is just another step, just another nudge towards even more "freedom" for police officers to have carte blanche and they nearly do right now. Now these idiots can take my DNA just because they felt like it?

Nonsense.
I agree. And don't forget Homeland Security has the right to monitor your phone calls, e-mails, and of course your social networking posts. The U.S. is moving in a very strange and disturbing direction when it comes to "security."

Did you know there are 377 "hot" words that Homeland Security routinely screens social media for, especially facebook, to search for security risks? These include terms like:

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
National Guard
Red Cross
United Nations (UN)
Assassination
Attack
Domestic security
Drill
Exercise
Cops
Law enforcement
Authorities
Port
Dock
Bridge
Cancelled
Delays
Service disruption
Power lines
Drug cartel
Violence
Gang
Drug

http://www.businessinsider.com/uncle...7-words-2012-5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I agree. And don't forget Homeland Security has the right to monitor your phone calls, e-mails, and of course your social networking posts. The U.S. is moving in a very strange and disturbing direction when it comes to "security."

Did you know there are 377 "hot" words that Homeland Security routinely screens social media for, especially facebook, to search for security risks? These include terms like:

National Guard
Red Cross
United Nations (UN)
Assassination
Attack
Domestic security
Drill
Exercise
Cops
Law enforcement
Authorities
Port
Dock
Bridge
Cancelled
Delays
Service disruption
Power lines
Drug cartel
Violence
Gang
Drug

Homeland Security Admits To Monitoring Use Of The Following 377 Terms - Business Insider
Yes, I knew about the words years ago.

Yes, in the 1960's citizens and politicians started pushing hard for get tough on crime laws and not handcuffing the police's ability to catch criminals by not violating their rights.

Slowly but surely, those protections have been compromised.

I remember I was on a school bus freshman in high school and a police officer put his car in front our bus causing an emergency stop. The police officer gets on the bus yelling and cursing and yanks another teenager off the bus, why because the teen gave the cop the finger. That is not breaking the law, that is not anything, but even then the police felt that if you disrespect them, they had a right to hurt you.

He took that kid down to the station after he roughed him up.

Years ago when I was a teen I was hanging out with friends standing on a corner doing nothing. The police roll up and demand we disband. As I was leaving, a cop said something to me and all I said was whatever man. Both of those cops get out of their car and slam me up against a wall for no reason. I didn't break the law and I wasn't threatening and I was leaving. My parents were p/o'ed.

You think those police officers were punished? Hell no. And I have seen worse from cops.

The reason the public gives the police a lot of latitude in dealing with certain groups of people.

It has only gotten worse. At least in my teen year, the police couldn't or didn't stop and frisk without even suspecting you of a crime.

The use of weapons and violence are kind of encouraged for any slight. We told they police they are at war and they act like it.

I am against expanding the power of the police.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
I seriously don't see what's unreasonable about a cheek swab and keeping your DNA on file just like fingerprints. It's on the same level in my opinion.
Except that DNA is a blueprint that reveals an infinite amount of information about you. We conduct DNA tests to determine your vulnerability to all sorts of diseases, for instance. Your fingerprint doesn't get tested to give medical experts additional information about you. Your fingerprint doesn't reveal information about your family, its ethnicity, its medical background. Your DNA does. Your DNA reveals private and personal information. So not the same level, at all.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

National Guard
Red Cross
United Nations (UN)
Assassination
Attack
Domestic security
Drill
Exercise
Cops
Law enforcement
Authorities
Port
Dock
Bridge
Cancelled
Delays
Service disruption
Power lines
Drug cartel
Violence
Gang
Drug

Homeland Security Admits To Monitoring Use Of The Following 377 Terms - Business Insider
I'm going to call up the Federal Aviation Administration, National Guard, Red Cross, and United Nations and ask them what domestic security drills and exercises cops and other law enforcement authorities practice on docks and bridges causing cancelled flights, delays, service disruption, and downed power lines in the effort to infiltrate drug cartels, prevent gang violence, and smoke out drug induced character assasination attacks.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm going to call up the Federal Aviation Administration, National Guard, Red Cross, and United Nations and ask them what domestic security drills and exercises cops and other law enforcement authorities practice on docks and bridges causing cancelled flights, delays, service disruption, and downed power lines in the effort to infiltrate drug cartels, prevent gang violence, and smoke out drug induced character assasination attacks.
Well if we didn't catch their attention before, we might have now!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
And at the other end, newborns are screened for genetic diseases, mandated by the government and not requiring parental consent.

The government has your baby's DNA - CNN.com
Newborn babies in the United States are routinely screened for a panel of genetic diseases. Since the testing is mandated by the government, it's often done without the parents' consent, according to Brad Therrell, director of the National Newborn Screening & Genetics Resource Center.

In many states, such as Florida, where Isabel was born, babies' DNA is stored indefinitely, according to the resource center.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
for those arguing that the police shouldn't keep your DNA after you are cleared...

Why would you want that, but still allow police to keep your fingerprints on file for years? There is no policy to dispose of your fingerprints once you are arrested and booked, then cleared.

also, they take your fingerprints when you get your DL. They don't dispose of it once your DL expires or that you choose to not drive any longer.

so, why the exception for DNA? You leave behind your DNA everywhere at anytime. Drank a cup of coffee and threw the cup away? full of DNA from your saliva and lips. Cut your nails? Full of DNA. You shed skin everyday, FULL of DNA. Your hair? FULL of DNA. Cough? Sneeze? Cry? ALL DNA.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:10 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Sad that you have lie and bash liberals when it was the liberal justices that opposed this ruling.

One of the consequences of electing conservatives, is that you get more and more judges willing to violate the Constitution.
Funny how it is the Neo Conservatives lately that are all for infringing on the Freedoms and Rights of Individuals all for the Big Nanny State, and the Libertarians and Liberals are the Freedom Fighters.

Hitler would have loved them in his fascist empire.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
for those arguing that the police shouldn't keep your DNA after you are cleared...

Why would you want that, but still allow police to keep your fingerprints on file for years? There is no policy to dispose of your fingerprints once you are arrested and booked, then cleared.

also, they take your fingerprints when you get your DL. They don't dispose of it once your DL expires or that you choose to not drive any longer.

so, why the exception for DNA? You leave behind your DNA everywhere at anytime. Drank a cup of coffee and threw the cup away? full of DNA from your saliva and lips. Cut your nails? Full of DNA. You shed skin everyday, FULL of DNA. Your hair? FULL of DNA. Cough? Sneeze? Cry? ALL DNA.
Only your thumbs though, not all fingers.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only your thumbs though, not all fingers.
In Hawaii, they took all of my fingerprints (for DL and for State ID)

In California, they took my thumb for DL and all of my fingerprints for a State ID.

And just because they only take your thumb, its still a fingerprint, that they store for years, never disposing.

So why is it okay for the POlice to take ALL of your fingerprints and keep them for years even after you've been released, but for DNA, its like "YOU BETTER DISPOSE OF THAT IF I'm CLEARED!!! blah blbah blah"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies