Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's taught in the Chicano Studies and weirdly enough, you don't see much of this crap in Mexico or in universities in Mexico. It's not even the illegals themselves that are into this mexica movement, it's almost always the anchor children of illegals who have lived the good easy life of the USA, grown up on food stamps and Medicaid -- all thanks to the hated American taxpayers and they have really little clue about Mexico or it's Indians.
You have no idea what you're talking about. I've taught Latina/o studies undergrad classes and have taken various classes at the graduate level, and this is not "taught."

Stop fear mongering.

Quote:
Eh, I think some legit archeologists have stated that the people who became the Aztecs first migrated south from the Four Corners region. But then who cares, really? Most Mexicans of mestizo descent are not Aztec, but of any number of other indigenous groups. Also, the Aztecs were jerks. Why did the Spaniards beat them? Aside from smallpox, it was because all the other tribes hated the Aztecs so much they joined up with the Spaniards. It would have been a much harder and longer slog for them otherwise and they would have had to send for mucho reinforcements from across the Atlantic.
Historical descriptions of where the Mexica (Chichimecas) came from usually implies a certain region in the west of Mexico, in the state of Nayarit. I mean, ultimately, all western indigenous populations came through the modern US if you go back far enough.

Quote:
I was briefly involved with MEChA as a confused college kid. Just for a couple of years. It was basically a way to meet chicks, which is the main reason why most college lads bother to join anything else you can think of. One thing I can say is that MEChA chapters vary quite a bit. Some are just as off-the-rails militant as you might suspect, others are little more than ice cream socials, and most are somewhere in between. What I can also tell you is that the vast majority of Mexican-American college kids could give less of a crap about MEChA. I'd be shocked if today's numbers are anywhere near what they were in the early 70s.

Some other thoughts:

- "La Raza" doesn't have the same connotations as whatever slogan the Aryan Nazi creeps use. Google the term "La Raza Cosmica" to try and see what I mean. I myself always took "Raza" to mean the same thing as when a black guy calls other black guys "brothas."

- Even most people who call themselves Chicanos view these "Mexika/Anawak" people as nuts. Trust me on that.
MALCS and MECha are still important in some senses, but really confined to academia. As standards of living and income improve, people have less time for activist groups. There are still those who beat the drum very loudly (Cherrie Moraga, for one), but they are mostly fringe. Chicana lesbians are the ones who really hold onto these ideas in academia.

And indeed, raza just means "community" or heritage.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Huh? What exactly am I scared of? I really don't see any relevance of your reply to my post.
Simple American style English. You are worried about something that will never happen. This is not in response just to you post, it's in response to your entire thread. Does that make it have more relevance now?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The KKK breeds. Are you worried about them?
They aren't near the breeders that Latinos are nor are there millions of them coming here illegally.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:58 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
They want it back. Aztecs are dead and gone or their decedents have assimilated into Mexican culture.

No one is coming to reclaim what was never theirs. How hard is that to understand. That is like saying the Vikings are coming to claim some mythical lands in America.
Remain in denial if you wish but there is an actual Mexica Reconquista Movement. Need links?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
And indeed, raza just means "community" or heritage.
Raza means race or breed. Tell someone you bought a new dog and they'll likely ask "que raza". It doesn't mean community at all because it is never meant to include everyone but the one particular ethnic group. When they refer to "la raza" it doesn't mean those of Irish, Polish, Ugandan, Haitian ancestry of the same community, it means only one particular group, not the whole community.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
They want it back. Aztecs are dead and gone or their decedents have assimilated into Mexican culture.

No one is coming to reclaim what was never theirs. How hard is that to understand. That is like saying the Vikings are coming to claim some mythical lands in America.
Tell that to the people who join these racist groups --- and these groups do exist.

Their belief is what is behind the notion that no one from Mexico or Central America should have to respect the immigration laws of the USA. Aztecs of course never did rule over all of North America or live in any part of the current day USA, they ruled over about a 35 mile radius near current day Mexico City.

There is no logic behind their assertion that they are above US laws except that they base it on some myth of Aztec rule over the whole North American continent. Most pro-illegals really don't believe in unlimited immigration of Haitians, Polish, Italians, Chinese, etc, they take a racist position that "la raza" is special and should not have any limitations placed on them coming here.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Remain in denial if you wish but there is an actual Mexica Reconquista Movement. Need links?
Remain in a state of perpetual fear if you wish. I find it very comedic

Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Have any of you heard about this "movement"?

MEXICA MOVEMENT: Indigenous Liberation for Anahuac

They seem like a fringe of a fringe group of so-called activists. I fail to see the difference between these people and the KKK, the National Alliance, stormfront.org, etc. This so-called group has nothing to do with native Americans, and doesn't represent them in a professional, mature manner. Yes, Native Americans were treated horribly but the people in this so-called movement are going about it the wrong way. Racism is racism, no matter what skin color and ethnicity you are.

I was protested by this group many times, back when California was part of the United States of America, before it became the International Zone known as the People's Republic of Californistan.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Mexica Movement? Go there now.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Raza means race or breed. Tell someone you bought a new dog and they'll likely ask "que raza". It doesn't mean community at all because it is never meant to include everyone but the one particular ethnic group. When they refer to "la raza" it doesn't mean those of Irish, Polish, Ugandan, Haitian ancestry of the same community, it means only one particular group, not the whole community.
Oh, semantics.

The Autonomous National University of Mexico's motto is "Por la raza hablará mi espiritu."

How do you interpret that one, linguistics expert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies